Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Note UA's interface is undergoing changes that have resulted in it being much more difficult (as of late) to identify the saver awards:
UA changes awards search, mutiple issues, confusing listings, higher mileage?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
Lifemiles is making it impossible for me to use my 305000 miles! Nothing is available. Even if you find an available departing flight, there are no return flights available. Neither Business class or coach works. Trying for January and May and nothing! Something is seriously wrong here. Lifemiles continues to sell miles and encourage you to accrue them. But for what?
They did offer me an alternate choice- in coach- that would have taken most of my miles and then over $2000.
I wish I had never signed up for Lifemiles. It's awful.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi
Lifemiles is making it impossible for me to use my 305000 miles! Nothing is available. Even if you find an available departing flight, there are no return flights available. Neither Business class or coach works. Trying for January and May and nothing! Something is seriously wrong here. Lifemiles continues to sell miles and encourage you to accrue them. But for what?
They did offer me an alternate choice- in coach- that would have taken most of my miles and then over $2000.
Again... where are you looking to go? Is there award availability showing on other star alliance airline booking engines?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi

you don't understand how to use this program. this program is all about being flexible when and where you fly and being able to book round trip in the dates you want is almost impossible.

Your best chances are flying beetwen big hubs like SFO to FRA or IAH to MUC etc and forget about flying in busy periods.

Bottom line that this program works bsst for frequent flieres where one or two times you can catch bussiness class reward out of tens during a year.

I just got mine booking for FRA - SEA done for Jan 18 and wanted to book another one for my wife but there is only one avaliable two days later.
zeer0, nexusCFX and mildfrequence like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
trying to book a lifemiles rewards on an air Canada flight (LAS-YUL) so it isn't domestic.

I see the flight, the rewards says space is available. All up until the last page and I keep getting this:

We're sorry! we could not process your request, try again. If the problem persists contact our Call Center (option 3) or send us an email to %[email protected]?subject=e2....021%2009:43:46

E2.1 00517730006 05/11/2021 09:43:46

Whatever date I select whenever there is space, I get the same error message.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by royal757
trying to book a lifemiles rewards on an air Canada flight (LAS-YUL) so it isn't domestic.

I see the flight, the rewards says space is available. All up until the last page and I keep getting this:

We're sorry! we could not process your request, try again. If the problem persists contact our Call Center (option 3) or send us an email to %[email protected]?subject=e2....021%2009:43:46

If you can see it on line the call centre will also be able to see it. You can give them a call and they can book and ticket for you. Or at least tell you why it can't be booked.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If you can see it on line the call centre will also be able to see it. You can give them a call and they can book and ticket for you. Or at least tell you why it can't be booked.
YMMV, i got the same error, i see it on United and on lifemiles as well but the rep do not see it. they want u to email support. then it just becomes a game of getting a hold of them and billing department. I finally got the itinerary i want but couldnt get to billing department to pay the taxes.
Quite the headache. im on my 2nd 40 min hold after the first one disconnected.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
YMMV, i got the same error, i see it on United and on lifemiles as well but the rep do not see it. they want u to email support. then it just becomes a game of getting a hold of them and billing department. I finally got the itinerary i want but couldnt get to billing department to pay the taxes.
honestly no luck. They speak awful english, the language barrier is horrible when on the phone.

They have a problem with any Air Canada flight. I try to search lots of routes, and lots of dates and the lifemiles website shows wide availability (that matches availability on united and air canada's website), but apparently when on the phone with them they are unable to book at as "they don't see it".

I basically transferred thousands of miles for nothing ... And nothing with a stopover with a United flight. This lifemiles thing is worthless, the worst part is before transferring the miles I made sure there was availability but its their systems that has a problem with booking anything Air Canada related. It just "doesn't exist but it shows on their website" which is funny because sometimes it says "2 seats left" .. They say "because of terms and conditions we cannot resend you your miles back to Citi ThankYou". I mean Ok you're right there are terms and conditions ... but your website is misleading me to believe I'll be able to book and at the very end I keep getting an error, and the support cannot even see the flight... Really painful.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuBu4
The billing department should normally call you back rather than having to hold? They seems to work to their own system. Maybe email lifemiles support and ask for the billing department to call you?

honestly no luck. They speak awful english, the language barrier is horrible when on the phone.

They have a problem with any Air Canada flight. I try to search lots of routes, and lots of dates and the lifemiles website shows wide availability (that matches availability on united and air canada's website), but apparently when on the phone with them they are unable to book at as "they don't see it".

I basically transferred thousands of miles for nothing ... And nothing with a stopover with a United flight. This lifemiles thing is worthless, the worst part is before transferring the miles I made sure there was availability but its their systems that has a problem with booking anything Air Canada related. It just "doesn't exist but it shows on their website" which is funny because sometimes it says "2 seats left" .. They say "because of terms and conditions we cannot resend you your miles back to Citi ThankYou". I mean Ok you're right there are terms and conditions ... but your website is misleading me to believe I'll be able to book and at the very end I keep getting an error, and the support cannot even see the flight... Really painful.
Understand the frustration… but lifemiles is not alone with this. There is also, for example, phantom availability on Alaska Airlines for some of their partners (shows on the AS site, and partner airlines sites, but it can’t be booked). For that reason I don’t purchase miles, or transfer them, unless I *know* there is availability. (Appreciate that’s not really helpful in your current situation, but it might be of use to others considering buying or transferring miles.)
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
The billing department should normally call you back rather than having to hold? They seems to work to their own system. Maybe email lifemiles support and ask for the billing department to call you?
i did, the first time around, it was bouncing back and forth where i miss their call and then wait the next 24 hours again for them to call back. ended up losing my first ticket since it expired.
2nd ticket, i just set my day to stay home and wait for the phone call. they called after the 19th hour mark.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: SK, LH
is lufthansa blocking first class tickets for lifemiles?
one of those big bloggers had it on his site and google translate said that first will not be available.
is that true?
is it business going away too or just first?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:44 pm
Etp

So I am getting the same error when trying to book any award on Air Canada. Were you able to eventually resolve this?
Or does anybody know what is the fastest way to resolve this?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA PS, OZ, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Etp
So I am getting the same error when trying to book any award on Air Canada. Were you able to eventually resolve this?
I was able to resolve the same error by emailing them first my complete itinerary and then waiting for the call to make the payment. Not sure why I am not able to book online (my profile is completed with the PIN) but email worked for me. Took around 48h from emailing to having the ticket in hand; would have been faster if I had better cell service, but the call dropped once and you pretty much have no choice but to wait for the callback. All of their operators are disconnected from the payment system and it's a nightmare to find the person to make a payment.
It all worked out in the end, but you need patience.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Etp
I was not able, from what I read online AC is not a redeemable partner on lifemiles ... which is weird because they're still both Star Alliance.

I finally transferred points to Turkish miles and smiles and booked my AC flight there.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
What? AC has definitely been redeemable via LM, as recently as a month ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.