Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I charged back for purchased miles after they didn’t update their booking system since 1999, and now my name and DOB gets flagged when I try to book an award ticket they cancel it. However, if I book it and travel within 12 hours they don’t have enough time to do so .
Without knowing the full facts the sort of chargeback you have mentioned - trying to rescind a miles purchase - may be different from the airline failing to provide a service.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA PS, OZ, AS MVP
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Thanks this worked. This terrible website design (not telling that emergency number is a required field) cost me call center fee and long hold times.
I thought I had the same problem but even after entering an emergency contact, I still cannot make the simplest booking (o/w, nonstop) via the website or the App. I wish they would give a better error description.

Called the US call center this morning, no wait, she found the flight I wanted to book, but “due to the limited seats available on the flight I’ll have to refer you to the manual booking department” . first time I heard that, but even after pushing back she was not willing to book the 2 seats for me.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: Lifemiles, Marriott Titanium,
I thought I would give update on my manual booking nightmare. I sent about 4 follow up emails regarding the manual booking. After 12 days I finally received my booking with payment details. I called the Avianca call center, 35 minutes in total and finished the booking. No idea how my first manual booking took 24 hours and the second one took 12 days.... but at the end I achieved what I wanted....
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andy76
I thought I would give update on my manual booking nightmare. I sent about 4 follow up emails regarding the manual booking. After 12 days I finally received my booking with payment details. I called the Avianca call center, 35 minutes in total and finished the booking. No idea how my first manual booking took 24 hours and the second one took 12 days.... but at the end I achieved what I wanted....

Per your post above the award availability actually disappeared quite early? I think this indicates that at least in some cases the original booking is made and seats held, followed by referral to the special department (who probably don't see any urgency if they seats are already held).
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Well, I had redeemed LM for 2 legs AC (one way) in October and the itinerary changed on me by a day (which I had to discover myself on the AC site of course).
Can anyone clarify for me what the options are if that day of difference doesn't work for me? Thx in advance.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mildfrequence
Well, I had redeemed LM for 2 legs AC (one way) in October and the itinerary changed on me by a day (which I had to discover myself on the AC site of course).
Can anyone clarify for me what the options are if that day of difference doesn't work for me? Thx in advance.
Either try and move to a day that is suitable for you, look for award availability via another route that is acceptable, or request a full refund. The middle option may have some complications regarding how LM process the change... IIRC it would need to be a full cancellation and rebook anyway (but should be fee free).
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 5:51 pm

Pretty amazing that I'm never able to find a United flight available for redemption when I need it.

I've been trying for over a year to dump my remaining LM and I can never find a way to use them.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Either try and move to a day that is suitable for you, look for award availability via another route that is acceptable, or request a full refund. The middle option may have some complications regarding how LM process the change... IIRC it would need to be a full cancellation and rebook anyway (but should be fee free).
Went with the 2nd option and proposed they stick me on a swiss routing same day as my original itin and they were quite happy to do so (for free, as you said). Yet another anecdote for me where acknowledging the requisite patience required for dealing with modest language barriers/call quality, things actually went quite well all things considered.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Pretty amazing that I'm never able to find a United flight available for redemption when I need it.

I've been trying for over a year to dump my remaining LM and I can never find a way to use them.
No idea how UA makes their inventory available to LM but it can be done. I have TATL Polaris in early Fall.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Does anyone think at some day LM will move their computer system out of the 90’s and allow people to book on the website, logged into their account, using their miles? Quite a concept I know
Sandeep1 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Does anyone think at some day LM will move their computer system out of the 90’s and allow people to book on the website, logged into their account, using their miles? Quite a concept I know
LM is a great program if you can make it work for you. It's not for everyone. The website 'problems' have been around for what... five or so years? Not holding my breath for any improvements!
zeer0 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jul 3, 2021, 4:08 pm

I've now used LM 3 times and the only time I booked over the phone was out of fear of missing out on "last" seats that were stuck in limbo due to my pause in the middle of online booking. The site, while being a PITA to search for flights on, handled the actual bookings just fine previously.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:22 pm

Unable to find any seat today, all searches showed no available.
System maintenance?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: UA PS, OZ, AS MVP
I recently booked a flight via lifemiles - It was a bit of a struggle but I achieved what I wanted.
I also had to do a manual booking because I was getting an error every time I wanted to confirm my seats. After receiving a confirmation email I was called by the payment department. Then the payment processing portal failed - and the call dropped. I then proceeded to call back many, many times over the next 24h and payment portal was still down - no payment could be made. Then after 48h the same agent called back to finish the payment. The award availability online was gone (and I thought my 2 J seats as well), but they seem to hold them for quite a while. I just finished the payment and had the confirmation email 30min later.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 9:21 pm

Successfully booked UA Y

A data point - booked a domestic UA flight in Y for September but I ended up having to do it over the phone - got the usual error at the confirmation point on the website, so I emailed the booking details and sent in screenshots. Based on my results, I'm not actually sure if I needed the screenshots or if I already had a partially complete booking in my account - about 3 days after the email I got a response with the reservation information noting that it was ready for me to call and pay, and right after that email they actually called me and walked me through the process, which was fairly painless (except having to say my credit card info out loud in the gift shop of a museum).

I actually booked a different UA domestic flight in Y for January and was able to do it all via the website (this was about a month ago). Not sure why it worked one time and didn't the next.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.