Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Caroline Scott
Hi! Trying to book MAD - DTW with a return on a Sunday. I choose the right date, but it keeps booking me into Saturday. There is availability / the existence of a flight on the Sunday at the same time as the Saturday one. Is this a good usage of the screenshot method? Or is it possibility that there is just no award availability on the Sunday flight? Thanks!
For the screenshot method your *supposed* to have flight availability. If you can see it on line, but it errors out, you can actually try and book it over the phone. The call centre can see the same we can see on line. So they might be able to fix the issue.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:12 am

[QUOTE=LHR/MEL/Europe FF;31792345]For the screenshot method your *supposed* to have flight availability. If you can see it on line, but it errors out, you can actually try and book it over the phone. The call centre can see the same we can see on line. So they might be able to fix the issue.[/

thanks! It looks like if I attempt to book two one ways that my original issue is solved.

I’m actually trying to fly out of Valencia, not Madrid. I can book from Detroit to Valencia, but the other way around doesn’t show availability (although there is a Lufthansa flight available on google flights.. Lufthansa is the carrier for everything I’m seeing).... likely that lifemiles just doesn’t have the availability or is it a glitch? Thanks!!
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
thanks! It looks like if I attempt to book two one ways that my original issue is solved.

I’m actually trying to fly out of Valencia, not Madrid. I can book from Detroit to Valencia, but the other way around doesn’t show availability (although there is a Lufthansa flight available on google flights.. Lufthansa is the carrier for everything I’m seeing).... likely that lifemiles just doesn’t have the availability or is it a glitch? Thanks!!
Yeah but if you book 2 one ways then you get charged more miles and they will not refund it
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Yeah but if you book 2 one ways then you get charged more miles and they will not refund it
actually no difference in total mile amount, weirdly, but I’ll get hit with two redemption fees which I assume they will not refund...
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

actually no difference in total mile amount, weirdly, but I’ll get hit with two redemption fees which I assume they will not refund...
Unless they have a sale for a particular route, one way or return is the same number of miles.

You are correct that there'd be a USD25 booking fee per each direction.

LM often doesn't show all the possible connections. Sometimes they'll only show one or two of the fastest connections and nothing more. Sometimes they'll show none.

If you can find the connecting flight separately, you could do the screenshot method.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Hi! Trying to book MAD - DTW with a return on a Sunday. I choose the right date, but it keeps booking me into Saturday. There is availability / the existence of a flight on the Sunday at the same time as the Saturday one. Is this a good usage of the screenshot method? Or is it possibility that there is just no award availability on the Sunday flight? Thanks!
Please share this info, so that you can get a productive response, rather than mere speculation.
Departure date:
Departure route and cabin you see:
e.g. MAD-FRA (Lufthansa Economy), FRA-EWR (United business), EWR-DTW (United economy)

Return date (I assume it is December 8th 2019)
Return route and cabin you see:
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:44 am

Hi All, wondering if this is too much of a risk. There is a LM promotion right now for 150% bonus miles. It expires tomorrow, Dec 3.

I am looking at some flights on LH F or J (F preferred but J is okay too) on Dec. 18. I know LH tends to make flights available to partners around 15 days out. The flight I want is showing F3 and J9, so it seems that there is a F availability and J seems wide open.

Is it a bad idea to speculatively buy LH miles today - expecting LM will be able to see the availability around Dec 3/4/5?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by crimson12
Hi All, wondering if this is too much of a risk. There is a LM promotion right now for 150% bonus miles. It expires tomorrow, Dec 3.

I am looking at some flights on LH F or J (F preferred but J is okay too) on Dec. 18. I know LH tends to make flights available to partners around 15 days out. The flight I want is showing F3 and J9, so it seems that there is a F availability and J seems wide open.

Is it a bad idea to speculatively buy LH miles today - expecting LM will be able to see the availability around Dec 3/4/5?

Thanks in advance.
Lufthansa limits award space to partners, not the other way around (not to say the partners don't further limit award availability). Search Lifemiles and United for comparison. Exactly where do you find award availability for Lifemiles? The Lifemiles award engine and only the Lifemiles award engine shows accurate (to a degree) availability. No other tool will show Lifemiles award availability. Yes it is a very bad idea to speculatively buy Lifemiles miles. Lifemiles works well one direction or another for international first and business class. Not a reasonable expectation to find availability both directions.
RTWFF and Tokyoite like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:49 am

Boy am I glad I stumbled upon this thread when I got the 999 error trying to buy LM miles. I run a small business and was about to pull the trigger on 200,000 LM (+300,000 bonus) for $6K+. We book a lot of international J for our employees and figured this would be a great way to book a few of those trips in 2020 on the cheap.
I think I'm going to reconsider now.
Thanks for the valuable info.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wheatbackpenny
Boy am I glad I stumbled upon this thread when I got the 999 error trying to buy LM miles. I run a small business and was about to pull the trigger on 200,000 LM (+300,000 bonus) for $6K+. We book a lot of international J for our employees and figured this would be a great way to book a few of those trips in 2020 on the cheap.
I think I'm going to reconsider now.
Thanks for the valuable info.
I think you are right to be cautious.

It's great to have a few LM 'in reserve' for the times when LM happens to have availability for what you need (they can be much cheaper than other programs).

But as this thread confirms - that availability is far from being a given.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 2:36 pm

Am I the only who can never find an award flight using LM? Everytime I check routes, they have absolutely zero for me.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Am I the only who can never find an award flight using LM? Everytime I check routes, they have absolutely zero for me.
There is availability out there, but the question is whether or not it (a) is available on your particular route or (b) will display for you.

You can use United’s tool to get a rough idea of whether award seats are available on the particular route you need. You can then use that information to search LM. You might need to try airline specific searches rather than ‘smart search’, or search sector by sector.

Sometimes availability doesn’t map across to LM.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Just a quick data point - found today that when searching for MLE-FRA (via IST) will only show availability if you select TK as the airline. Individual segments show with Smart Search but not connections. go figure !!
view-with-a-room likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Sandeep1

What are you looking for?

LM is not for everybody or every route.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
LifeMiles is strange these days. I can find flights, but booking is the issue. Yesterday I booked a flight but it never came to the page where I pay. So I received booking reference, but it said error and to contact support. This never happened before and I’ve used it for years.

Three months ago I also booked through phone app. An error came when I paid, but booking went through. One has to be very cautious with using it, and cannot trust the page process for booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.