Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by libuser
Not worried about the space because its dead season and plently of space on a bunch of airlines.
Just curious, when is this dead season when plenty of space is available on a bunch of airlines?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:24 am

feb and march 2019 wednesday C2 to C1. Pick any one, all * airlines are wide open
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:31 am

pls delete
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Khabibul35
Is it just me getting the message below or is the website down?

Situation:
I just bought Avianca miles and am now trying to book an Avianca award (2 days in advance). I've tried the Ecuador/US site, as well as Vivaldi, Chrome, Chome in incognito, IE, and Edge. Nothing seems to work.

What could be the problem?
either phantom, or their engine cant book. Look at the wiki on what to do to send them an email for manually booking. Current waiting time for manual booking is about 8 days
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by libuser
feb and march 2019 wednesday C2 to C1. Pick any one, all * airlines are wide open
That's great to know, thank you. Are February and March typically the most available months for Star Alliance awards? Are there other periods that tend to be open?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I just wanted to note in this thread that, although I've had some booking issues, the two telephone agents I've dealt with have been really great. One helped me purchase miles when the website wouldn't take my AMEX, and the other helped me salvage a booking that errored out without showing me a PNR. He found the two attempted bookings, deleted the second attempted one, and helped me pay the fees and get it ticketed. Most of my bookings have worked without issue too, although I find there's no rhyme or reason behind when it screws up.

I had an Air Canada booking screw up (which actually was a blessing because a better flight opened up so I just left it alone) and another Air Canada booking that worked fine. Similarly, I booked EVA from SIN-TPE with no issues, but today I got an error booking TPE-SFO.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
*UPDATE* After 2 weeks of dealing with the various nuances of booking with LifeMiles and their call centers (very helpful), I can officially call myself a loyal subject.

After reading a few blogs, I took advantage of the 145% bonus and discounted routes. Realizing my better half will not understand the work that went into this, I thought I would share the final product to my friends on FT. Note that I shared the method used to confirm the seats and how many miles were necessary to book.

Route: SYD-ICN-JFK,ORD-NRT-BKK-MEL
  • SYD-ICN: J class on OZ (50k miles) - dealt with the call center after an error during the booking process (availability disappeared after trying to book). Did not use screenshot method - call center booked it then I was directed to payment team for processing taxes.
  • ICN-JFK: F class on OZ (72k miles) - booked directly online
  • ORD-NRT: F class on NH (90k miles) - decided to take the 18k hit to avoid CA - booked directly online
  • NRT-BKK: F class; BKK-MEL: J class on TG (50k miles) - this seemed like the deal of the century. reminds me of the old UA redemption rates. I had to use the screenshot method to book and called payment team to process taxes.
Well there ya have it. 262k miles to fly ~35 hours in F and ~20 hours in J.
Tokyoite and nexusCFX like this.

Last edited by IAH2MEL; Dec 10, 2018 at 6:58 pm Reason: spelling
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
So, some people report that the call center has helped them book tickets after website errors, and other say they had to send an email and wait 8 days. Is there any discernable rhyme or reason to this? Under what situations will the call center help, and what situations require an email to be sent?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by snic
So, some people report that the call center has helped them book tickets after website errors, and other say they had to send an email and wait 8 days. Is there any discernable rhyme or reason to this? Under what situations will the call center help, and what situations require an email to be sent?
No Clue. I just called and hit option 4 then to talk to lifemiles account.

My error was when i got to the end it told me "session expired" after i hit process payment (no confirmation). Now it shows the space as removed. Called customer service, they don't see my res but also don't see any space available anymore. So i just sent support an email.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by snic
In general, the call centre can only see what we see on line when making an award booking.

If we can see something and book it, but there is an error or something else, the call centre might be able to help. Sometimes after entering payment you'll get a screen which shows a PNR, but the booking ultimately fails. Taking a note of that PNR (it's only on the screen for maybe 20 seconds to a minute) might be able to get you help frmo the call centre to find the booking and take payment.

Where the call centre can't help is where we find availability sector by sector, but no availability as a single booking. As the call centre won't be able to see anything different, you'll have to send the screenshots to the 'support' email address and the special department will create the booking.
IAH2MEL likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I agree with above post.

When the error screen came on during booking - thus making the space gone when searching again - the *helpful* call center employees were able to locate the reservation using my LM number. Once they located it, they were then able to confirm it before transferring me to the payments desk.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Ah, I see. I got excited for a minute there, thinking maybe the call center had become more useful since the last time I booked. Sadly, that's not the case.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by IAH2MEL
I agree with above post.

When the error screen came on during booking - thus making the space gone when searching again - the *helpful* call center employees were able to locate the reservation using my LM number. Once they located it, they were then able to confirm it before transferring me to the payments desk.
I had the same issue last night. Booked 2 J tickets on LH JFK-FRA-KWI and at the final screen when submitting CC details for the taxes I get a timeout error/expiry error. I tried two times and gave up and called them on the UK number. The agent found the bookings and cancelled one and confirmed the other for the two pax, lots of holding and checking mid-call, finally confirmed and sent me the email confirmation. However, because I am not using Amex to pay I have to wait for them to call me back withhin 24hrs to take the CC details. The call took exactly 30mins but the agent spoke good english and was very helpful and knowledgeable.

On another note, if F space opens up, can I upgrade this booking? And how can I go about doing that.

Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
You can only change travel dates of a ticketed award. No changes to route/origin/destination/cabin.
you will need a separate booking altogether.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:07 am

Does it really take 8 days to get a response these days? My seats are running short

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.