Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

Not at this stage. Lifemiles will create the booking for you (it can take several days for them to do this) and send you a copy of the itinerary. They include a number to call, and call times. You complete the booking by phoning them with your credit card, and choosing any mix of miles/cash you want to use.
thanks, buddy! hopefully the seat is still available when they handle my request....
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by coolguy100
thanks, buddy! hopefully the seat is still available when they handle my request....
There have been a couple reported instances on FT about availability disappearing, but I’d reckon about 19/20 people get the seats they’re after. Other times the LM team will come back and suggest an alternative route, sometimes using airlines and combinations that don’t otherwise show (singapore airlines for example).

It’s quite rare that an itinerary comes back point blank refused.

Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
I keep getting the following error :

"Sorry, we could not process your request, please try again. If the problem persists contact our Call Center Option 3 or send us an email to [email protected]?subject=TX%201...018%2010:33:47 LifeMiles Team. Error"

I am clueless, as I tried in vain to book my flight yesterday. There was only 1 seat left and I emailed [email protected] with all my info, desired flight and dates etc.. and still have not received a response.

Now the seat is gone and there are no options left for that day and destination .. What am I to do here? Is there really not anyone I can contact to get this resolved? I feel like this whole email thing is something that would be the norm in 1999 but this is 2018. The guy on the phone kept telling me "yeah some routes get this error, just email us and we will make the booking and get back to you sometime" really helpful.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:33 pm

You should have made screenshots and requested the booking via email. Nobody got anything booked via phone, they are completely different "departments". If your booking request is no longer available, sometimes they find a way to book alternative. Something the web site will not show you.

The caveats of Lifemiles
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
You should have made screenshots and requested the booking via email. Nobody got anything booked via phone, they are completely different "departments". If your booking request is no longer available, sometimes they find a way to book alternative. Something the web site will not show you.

The caveats of Lifemiles
I did just that, and now the seats are gone and the lady who replied to me via email is "thanking me for me inquiry" and would like me to send her screenshots of the error message and the page with the available award space and such (which I already did in my initial email two days ago). Now the seats are gone, how is this all even normal? I am sure they are going to come back to me today or tomorrow and say "hello, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately we do not see any available seats for this day and time, would there be any other dates we could accommodate you?". I feel like this is all a real joke.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by royal757
I did just that, and now the seats are gone and the lady who replied to me via email is "thanking me for me inquiry" and would like me to send her screenshots of the error message and the page with the available award space and such (which I already did in my initial email two days ago). Now the seats are gone, how is this all even normal? I am sure they are going to come back to me today or tomorrow and say "hello, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately we do not see any available seats for this day and time, would there be any other dates we could accommodate you?". I feel like this is all a real joke.
Like I said, the caveats of Lifemiles I had similar situation, sent request with screenshots, by the time they got it my seat was gone and they booked me (without asking) on flights that were not even available on the web site. And the flights were much better than the original
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:49 pm

Like I said, the caveats of Lifemiles I had similar situation, sent request with screenshots, by the time they got it my seat was gone and they booked me (without asking) on flights that were not even available on the web site. And the flights were much better than the original
seems the Email booking department has direct channel to communicate with star alliance partners to do reward booking on seats which could be publicly unavailable.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:52 pm

There have been a couple reported instances on FT about availability disappearing, but I’d reckon about 19/20 people get the seats they’re after. Other times the LM team will come back and suggest an alternative route, sometimes using airlines and combinations that don’t otherwise show (singapore airlines for example).

It’s quite rare that an itinerary comes back point blank refused.
It took them 2 whole days to email/call me back for the flight I were trying to book. I call them back and made the CC payment. the flight has been booked successfully. thanks
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by coolguy100
seems the Email booking department has direct channel to communicate with star alliance partners to do reward booking on seats which could be publicly unavailable.
No, it's just space the web site is intentionally not showing, but it is available.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:10 am

No, it's just space the web site is intentionally not showing, but it is available.
I used Experflyer.com to check business reward seat availability....no seats available showing on experflyer.com for the flight I were trying to book on lifemiles and failed. emailing lifemiles lead to successful booking.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:40 pm

So 72 hours later I finally received a phone call from them and they said :

"sorry sir, no seats are available on that route for this day. Nothing we can do"

I asked to speak to a supervisor and waited 25minutes and the agent comes back to me saying no supervisor speaks english only spanish. So he will translate.

The supervisor said the same thing, no flights available anymore on that route/day. nothing they can do, we can get you a flight 2 days later at a different time.

How is this all normal?? I did EVERYTHING they asked, really. Sent email of my passport, flight availability screenshot, error message etc...

Now the flights are gone, and to buy it it went from 130$ to 290$ in 3 days. I mean, this is a true joke. There really is nothing I can do?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:01 pm

I feel I cannot get through to anyone competent and this is really frustrating. I mean it is their fault their website doesn't work and I couldn't make the booking. Of course during the span of 3 days the seats will dissappear. They find it just normal to take 3 days to answer and say "sorry we don't see any seats available, tough luck". Why can't they communicate with Air Canada (company I am trying to fly on) and ask to open up 1 reward seat because they messed up on their end?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel I cannot get through to anyone competent and this is really frustrating. I mean it is their fault their website doesn't work and I couldn't make the booking. Of course during the span of 3 days the seats will dissappear. They find it just normal to take 3 days to answer and say "sorry we don't see any seats available, tough luck". Why can't they communicate with Air Canada (company I am trying to fly on) and ask to open up 1 reward seat because they messed up on their end?
You experience is not normal.

From what I can work out, what normally seems to happen is that booking via the screen-shot method is a two stage process. Initially when you send the screenshots someone in the reservations team makes the initial booking. That seems to be done, in most cases, pretty quickly (and a seat disappears from inventory). They then have to send this to the frequent flyer department for verification. This stage is the one that can take a couple of days. But in most cases, the seat you want is actually secured.

I guess it must happen that in some cases the seats just aren't there, or have gone by the time we send in the screenshots. But as I mentioned up thread, this is usually pretty rare (although on popular routes it must happen).

Unfortunately lots of airlines have problems with inventory that doesn't match... Alaska Airlines with Cathay Pacific. British Airways and Qantas also with Cathay Pacific (phantom availability). Partner airlines don't release additional seats because of these problems with availability.

Lifemiles is full of booking problems, but for the most part, it offers some excellent award opportunities. That's the trade off.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:08 pm

You experience is not normal.

From what I can work out, what normally seems to happen is that booking via the screen-shot method is a two stage process. Initially when you send the screenshots someone in the reservations team makes the initial booking. That seems to be done, in most cases, pretty quickly (and a seat disappears from inventory). They then have to send this to the frequent flyer department for verification. This stage is the one that can take a couple of days. But in most cases, the seat you want is actually secured.

I guess it must happen that in some cases the seats just aren't there, or have gone by the time we send in the screenshots. But as I mentioned up thread, this is usually pretty rare (although on popular routes it must happen).

Unfortunately lots of airlines have problems with inventory that doesn't match... Alaska Airlines with Cathay Pacific. British Airways and Qantas also with Cathay Pacific (phantom availability). Partner airlines don't release additional seats because of these problems with availability.

Lifemiles is full of booking problems, but for the most part, it offers some excellent award opportunities. That's the trade off.

I can assure you 100% the seats were in inventory because I have an Aeroplan account (with no miles) and I was constantly checking inventory there to see availability and there was exactly the same as shown on Lifemiles.

Please help me guys, what are my options? Who do I contact? The lifemiles team keep telling me "I dont see the seats available, sorry I can't do anything goodbye"

guys please help.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can assure you 100% the seats were in inventory because I have an Aeroplan account (with no miles) and I was constantly checking inventory there to see availability and there was exactly the same as shown on Lifemiles.

Please help me guys, what are my options? Who do I contact? The lifemiles team keep telling me "I dont see the seats available, sorry I can't do anything goodbye"

guys please help.
There’s nothing you can do here. Lifemiles restricts award availability from its partners, and if it doesn’t show on line (via screenshot) then it’s unlikely you’ll be able to secure it (there are some exceptions to this, for example when an itinerary is sold out and LM sometimes offers alternatives).

Unfortunately it’s the rules of the program and it is wide-spread. United may show wide open availability for lufthansa first, but lifemiles only offers flights on one day for example.

You either have to wait for the LM tool to show the flights, or look for another itinerary. If you are a frequent Avianca flyer (BIS miles) send an email to the FF program highlighting your issue (but this has been around for years and is unlikely to change much).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.