Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware (old legacy thread)

Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ohiosux
On which routes is LH F available? I'm not seeing anything from the east coast.
In theory, anywhere that LH F operates. But only at T-14 at the earliest, and even that is sporadic. Often it's much closer in, like just a few days. Also, LM doesn't show all LH F, blocking random days... so it might be available via UA on 2, 3, and 4 days before departure, but LM might only show day 3, blocking days 2 and 4.

Do a search via United, see if that corresponds with LM. If not, try calling LM (this might work these days).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
In theory, anywhere that LH F operates. But only at T-14 at the earliest, and even that is sporadic. Often it's much closer in, like just a few days. Also, LM doesn't show all LH F, blocking random days... so it might be available via UA on 2, 3, and 4 days before departure, but LM might only show day 3, blocking days 2 and 4.
LOL, thank you, but I already knew all that. I'm basically saying I can't find any LH F.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL, thank you, but I already knew all that. I'm basically saying I can't find any LH F.
it's pretty slim pickings by the look of it, not much available through UA either. Guess it's sold out.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
it's pretty slim pickings by the look of it, not much available through UA either. Guess it's sold out.
Weird, you're actually right. I'm looking on UA and AC and I'm not seeing hardly anything. Maybe LH is turning the screws on partner award F.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Weird, you're actually right. I'm looking on UA and AC and I'm not seeing hardly anything. Maybe LH is turning the screws on partner award F.
I suspect the reason is that the word has gotten out that United's top elites can use a GPU to waitlist for an LH upgrade and the word on the street is they have good success clearing J->F on LH (unlike on UA metal where their chances are like rolling dice in Vegas). So UA top elites using GPU's will grab LH F space off the waitlist causing a dearth of space for the rest of us.

GPU's and the fact that United is in the process of eliminating their F product mean more demand for LH.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I suspect the reason is that the word has gotten out that United's top elites can use a GPU to waitlist for an LH upgrade and the word on the street is they have good success clearing J->F on LH (unlike on UA metal where their chances are like rolling dice in Vegas). So UA top elites using GPU's will grab LH F space off the waitlist causing a dearth of space for the rest of us.

GPU's and the fact that United is in the process of eliminating their F product mean more demand for LH.
I thought it was always that way.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:14 am

Is anyone having problems with booking awards on Lifemiles site today?

Last night I was showing lots of availability, whether in Y or J, with various and random destinations all over the world, various dates through 2018.

Today, nothing. No short hauls, no long hauls, no Y, no J...everything is "No Disponible". I mean, even coach in Y from Houston to Mexico City for the next year? Bogota to Cali, nothing? Zurich to Frankfort on Swiss, nothing?

Called Lifemiles and rep had the same experience, nothing showing...nada nada nada. She said "all flights everywhere must be sold out".

Um, wrong.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by elizadoo
Called Lifemiles and rep had the same experience, nothing showing...nada nada nada. She said "all flights everywhere must be sold out".

Um, wrong.
Actually, exactly right.

All flights all the time everywhere around the world are often sold out when it comes to using Lifemiles. Especially with the new interface.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by gq_dq
Actually, exactly right.

All flights all the time everywhere around the world are often sold out when it comes to using Lifemiles. Especially with the new interface.
Sorry, but you are incorrect. EDITED TO ADD: Site is now up and working, with a new interface, and shows loads of availability Howver, it seems to be able to only do a single-leg search....no muti-leg function working, continual error messages.

EVERY flight that I saw available online last night had disappeared. And I am talking hundreds and hundreds of seats, in both Y and J categories. No seats, anywhere, on any partner airline. Nothing. Every algorythmic contortion I tried today, up until the day 330 (actually, the 329 day) showed no availability anywhere from point A to point B. Shorthaul, longhaul, from now until November of 2018...zero availability in every global location, every route, every airline. That is not an overnight and sudden run.

Last edited by elizadoo; Nov 7, 2017 at 4:32 pm
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's looking better!

I'm getting multi-leg mixed class, and also some LH F (for example 14 nov ORD-MUC... showing LH F but also mixed Y/J on UA connecting to LH J at LHR)
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Yep, I saw a few routes yesterday that definitely weren't available a few days ago. Some pretty tasty ones too.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: UA, AS
I thought it was always that way.
United only started phasing out F a year or two ago. Their new Polaris product planes have no F. UA phasing out the 747 has a big effect on *A F seats to Europe and folks who used to book UA F are now turning to LH (to Europe). Swiss has F but you have to be an LX elite to book it as an award. To Asia there is more F competition.

Using GPU's to waitlist on LH came in a couple of years ago but I suspect more people learned about it and how successful it was as time went by and the folks who use GPU's for UA F to Europe are finding with the reduction in UA F seats it is very difficult to clear them on UA but they have good success on clearing with LH.

These factors are contributing to the reduced availability of LH F award seats.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:36 am

FML! LH needs to discontinue this nonsense. United and it's crap loyalists are f--king up a good thing.

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
United only started phasing out F a year or two ago. Their new Polaris product planes have no F. UA phasing out the 747 has a big effect on *A F seats to Europe and folks who used to book UA F are now turning to LH (to Europe). Swiss has F but you have to be an LX elite to book it as an award. To Asia there is more F competition.

Using GPU's to waitlist on LH came in a couple of years ago but I suspect more people learned about it and how successful it was as time went by and the folks who use GPU's for UA F to Europe are finding with the reduction in UA F seats it is very difficult to clear them on UA but they have good success on clearing with LH.

These factors are contributing to the reduced availability of LH F award seats.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:41 am

So, LM is either doing a backdoor devaluation or they can't math...

Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
[QUOTE=ohiosux;29048005]So, LM is either doing a backdoor devaluation or they can't math...

I'm not sure I understand what you want to say. Where's the math problem?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.