Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware

Lifemiles serious booking problems - Beware

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 2, 18, 2:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tokyoite
Wiki Link
Please do your homework before buying Lifemiles. It is what it is... for some that's useful, for others it's not.

Biggest complaints are about
- mixed class bookings are available but now many of the suitable connections dont show
- not being able to book anything that isn't available online (there are work-arounds, see screenshot method below)
- the quality of the call center (English speaking agents are scarce, you might get thrown in a loop with call transfers within their call center)
- no stopovers (>24H) or open jaws, but you can book one way awards
- no reservations on Certain subsidiaries of Star Alliance carriers (Lufthansa Cityline, Germanwings)

Problems with ticketing / lack of confirmation screen or email
- write down the confirmation number shown on the screen after confirming your purchase.
check here: http://serviciosenlinea.avianca.com/...doReserva.aspx

Sometimes, even if you cannot see the PNR, the record may have been created, so better to call them and give them flight details you were trying to book. They can find the PNR from those details.
- ticketing usually takes place within 10-15 min of booking
- but it may also take up to 2 days
- if miles have been deducted from your account and a temporary authorization has been placed on your CC, you're probably fine even if you did not see a confirmation screen
- if no e-ticket number is visible on checkmytrip.com after two days, you should contact LifeMiles. You can expedite the ticketing by emailing with your booking reference to: [email protected] after you have booked, especially if you have booked last minute flights, and need ticketing straight away

Screenshot method.
So, on a date you are looking for in the future, there is availability for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK. But not LAX-NRT-BKK.
It may be a case of the LM system not offering the through connection.

Take three screen shots - two 'available' screen shots for LAX-NRT and NRT-BKK and the 'not available' screen for LAX-BKK.
Send them all off with a scan of your passport page (PDF) and LM will make the booking manually for you.

Send to these two email addresses, and CC yourself (just for your records)
[email protected]
[email protected]

Sample email:
====
Email topic: Urgent request for booking Lifemiles Award
====
Dear Sirs,

I have tried several times, over several days, but the following itinerary does not show on the website.
Please see the three attached screenshots I took just now.
Please do the manual booking First Class/Business class for xx,000 miles. (*Know how many miles the whole award should cost-here, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

The availability is only 1 seat for this date, so please process this request urgently before it is gone.

Los Angeles (LAX) - Bangkok (BKK)
Saturday August 11th 2018
NH 175 connecting to NH 807
(*Provide the specific flight numbers you want, to avoid surprises once ticketed)

My passport copy (Number xxxx, expiry 20xx/xx/xx, Nationality xxx) is attached in this email.

LifeMiles Number: xxx
First Name: xxx
Last name: xxx
Date of Birth: Month, date, year
Email: xxxx
Phone Number: +1-xxxx

Regards,
XXX
=========
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 16, 20, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
My understanding is that a search AAA-ZZZ must show zero availability before LM will consider screenshots.

If you find AAA-ZZZ on say ET, but you'd prefer LX, then they usually won't entertain the screenshot method.
This is my understanding as well.
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
I guess it depends on the agent but this is not what I was told a couple months ago. I will provide the response from Lifemiles below after I sent them screenshots of each leg available and they refused to put it together for me:

"Hi fly747first,

It's a pleasure to greet you.

We'd like to inform you that we may only assist you with manual bookings when you encounter any error message during the process through www.LifeMiles.com; the lack of availability is not considered an error since the redemption agreements between each airline and each loyalty program are different.

Therefore, you must redeem your tickets by means of the following options:You have to access to our website with your username and password on the section Fly."
I believe you and I was expecting the answer you received. I must have gotten lucky.
fly747first likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:17 am

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
My understanding is that a search AAA-ZZZ must show zero availability before LM will consider screenshots.

If you find AAA-ZZZ on say ET, but you'd prefer LX, then they usually won't entertain the screenshot method.
I was requesting JFK - DXB because LF only showed JFK - AUH, but I could get JFK - ZRH - DXB on LX if I searched for each leg separately; LF's support refused to help
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic

So if there is no J available but there is Y for AAA-ZZZ, will they entertain the screenshot method?
Old Sep 16, 20, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by kq747 View Post
So if there is no J available but there is Y for AAA-ZZZ, will they entertain the screenshot method?
They did for me, since there’s plenty of Y inventory but I was only interested in J. And the screenshots provided clearly showed Y but no J.
Old Sep 16, 20, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Basanez View Post
They did for me, since there’s plenty of Y inventory but I was only interested in J. And the screenshots provided clearly showed Y but no J.
Thanks for the info
Old Sep 16, 20, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by kq747 View Post
Just last month, I wanted to book a flight from USA-KUL, and Lifemiles only showed USA-TYO-KUL in Y; I sent screenshots in and got them to manual piece together USA-IST-KUL in J.
Old Sep 16, 20, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
It's obviously worth sending in a request for anything, but the general 'rule' is that LM assistance is to help you book an itinerary that may show segment by segment, but can't be booked end-to-end. So if A-B and B-C shows, but nothing comes up A-C, you send in your request. One of the screenshots is the 'nil return' for A-C.

In that case you can 100% expect them to assist you. For other examples, it can be luck of the draw, and no guarantees or 'right' to ticketing.
Old Sep 18, 20, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
It's obviously worth sending in a request for anything, but the general 'rule' is that LM assistance is to help you book an itinerary that may show segment by segment, but can't be booked end-to-end. So if A-B and B-C shows, but nothing comes up A-C, you send in your request. One of the screenshots is the 'nil return' for A-C.

In that case you can 100% expect them to assist you. For other examples, it can be luck of the draw, and no guarantees or 'right' to ticketing.
LF in general is extremely inconsistent and we just can't ignore that
Old Sep 21, 20, 6:05 pm

Anecdotally, I've found the departure calendar's indication of availability to be completely useless (the blue dots on dates that supposedly would have business class availability). Sometimes there are seats on dates that aren't marked and sometimes days are marked that don't have seats, for a given flight.
kq747 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 20, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Alex Huerta View Post
Anecdotally, I've found the departure calendar's indication of availability to be completely useless (the blue dots on dates that supposedly would have business class availability). Sometimes there are seats on dates that aren't marked and sometimes days are marked that don't have seats, for a given flight.
My experience as well!
Old Yesterday, 9:03 pm

Asiana showing twice daily JFK-iCN flights continuing in December. Aeroplan shows award availability for only the later flight for the rest of 2020 but both flights start showing up later in 2021. LM showing only the later flight everyday for the next year. I'd like the earlier flight. Anything I can do? Should I wait to see if the other flight shows up eventually?
Old Yesterday, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
Asiana showing twice daily JFK-iCN flights continuing in December. Aeroplan shows award availability for only the later flight for the rest of 2020 but both flights start showing up later in 2021. LM showing only the later flight everyday for the next year. I'd like the earlier flight. Anything I can do? Should I wait to see if the other flight shows up eventually?
What you should do only you can decide. What I would do is book the later flight and change to the earlier flight if availability opens up. In other words, lock in existing award availability before it disappears to protect my options and if a better option opens up grab it -- win win!
yeahman likes this.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
This has happened to me before and what worked for me was to set the search parameter to specifically look for availability on that airline rather than their ‘smart search’ function
zeer0 and yeahman like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: