Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Avianca Award Flights - Not flying is cheaper than buying miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling Avianca Award Flights - Not flying is cheaper than buying miles

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RTW1
No reminder needed. Flight was cancelled immediatly (no e-mail though), miles took 3 days and the taxes 6 weeks.
Ok thanks.
Old May 29, 2013, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by mrahul
Could you clarify if buying miles at 1:1 bonus promotion is cheaper or buying them with cash and miles option is cheaper with the devaluation.
buying at 2x1 and cash and miles are now the same price, 1.5cpm.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by mrahul
Could you clarify if buying miles at 1:1 bonus promotion is cheaper or buying them with cash and miles option is cheaper with the devaluation.
As you know, buying miles with cash and miles options starts of at 3 cents per mile but gradually reduces as you decrease the miles required and increase the money part. However, there is a sweet spot, just before you reach the final 40% miles, 60% cash point, where the average cost of miles purchased comes out t 1.5 cents. The cost per miles then gradually increases as you get to 40 miles, 60% cash point, and if you go for this maximum option, your average cost per mile purchased is about 1.57 points

Hope I did not confuse you with all this!!!
Old May 30, 2013, 10:04 am

Spelling things out too clearly is a doing a disservice to potential purchasers imo. Some of this stuff should be left to the purchaser to figure out, ie. calculating cpm. If one is unable to figure it out, then they shouldn't be taking part in the promotion.

Every time a "good" deal comes up, people don't do enough research, resulting in an explosion of complaints about how restrictive the program is, how CS is useless, or rants about how the long-known quirks of the program are ridiculous.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeDon
As you know, buying miles with cash and miles options starts of at 3 cents per mile but gradually reduces as you decrease the miles required and increase the money part. However, there is a sweet spot, just before you reach the final 40% miles, 60% cash point, where the average cost of miles purchased comes out t 1.5 cents. The cost per miles then gradually increases as you get to 40 miles, 60% cash point, and if you go for this maximum option, your average cost per mile purchased is about 1.57 points

Nope!got it.thanks a ton for clarifying!!
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity; IHG Platinum, Accor All
Originally Posted by SingaporeDon

Thanks, very helpful advice.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Thanks to the OP for the step by step instructions. Was actually much better than expected calling from abroad using Skype. Operator spoke fluent English and no problems with the pin code or credit card entry using the keypad. Took just over 11 minutes to cancel one pair of tickets. A breeze compared to trying to get a phone issue sorted through AT&T the other day which took over an hour and a half...
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1
They quote upto 3 months, mine took about 6 weeks.
Got my taxes back in under 10 days ^^
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by cardesigner2000
Thanks to the OP for the step by step instructions. Was actually much better than expected calling from abroad using Skype. Operator spoke fluent English and no problems with the pin code or credit card entry using the keypad. Took just over 11 minutes to cancel one pair of tickets. A breeze compared to trying to get a phone issue sorted through AT&T the other day which took over an hour and a half...
11 minutes! This must be a record across the board!
Old Jun 7, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Originally Posted by mlqsko
11 minutes! This must be a record across the board!
Count me lucky then Would have been faster if I didn't have to repeat my reservation code and address letter by letter. The operator didn't even confirm the actual flights to be cancelled, just the reservation code and my FF number. Received the cancellation e-mails a few hours later and my miles back today. Only need to wait for the taxes.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any experiences is cancelling for free due to schedule change?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Have updated the first post with useful info from SMK77

If you make a cash+miles booking with the intention of cancelling to get the extra miles back, watch the last few clicks on "More Money" as they increase the price by more than $15 per click. Best to stop while the clicks are just adding $15

If you stop after the first few few clicks, they are less than $15 each. But of course there's the $25 booking fee and $50 cancellation fee to add. Not to mention and the time taken for this charade.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by cardesigner2000
Amazing. My average is 35/40 minutes per ticket. And speaking spanish!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heramato
Amazing. My average is 35/40 minutes per ticket. And speaking spanish!
It all depends on the CS agent you get. I did one in 15 minutes last week and two days ago it took me 60 minutes. Average is around 30 mins for me.

What I find funny is sometimes they charge you for two pax at once ($100) and sometimes they insist on charging you twice. You get the miles before you even get off the phone and sometimes it takes 3 days.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:12 am

I think it depends whether you call Avianca or Taca number. In first case miles posted back immediately and taxes 3-4 (!) days later. With Taca CS, miles posted back a few days later and it is second month I am waiting for the taxes. Granted, the Taca CS was much, much more competent.

For the record, in both cases I used the same CC and bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.