Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Avianca Award Flights - Not flying is cheaper than buying miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling Avianca Award Flights - Not flying is cheaper than buying miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Peter_Ng
is the fee of $50 per ticket or per booking (5 tickets in my case)? Thanks
Per ticket
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
what if I only need to cancel 1 of the 5 ticket? would LM allow me to do that?
Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:55 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Thanks to the OP for his detailed instructions. I just cancelled a ticket and was done in about 10 minutes ^
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
I tried to cancel tickets before and it was utterly utterly useless.

Here's some discrepancies I've had:

1. Before putting thru to the CC system, they asked for my address and some form of ID number (Eg passport).
2. Sometimes they ask for the PIN number. I've set the PIN number NUMEROUS times, and it still fails (even without #). No idea why. Apparently new PINs only take effect 2 hours after it is set (!!!).
3. Their payment gateway seems to be down at random hours, and they dont like to tell you that until you spend 20-30 mins giving them all the details. Then they ask you to call back 7-8 hrs later.

Thats my gripe with LM. If you are absolutely sure with your booking, then its a god-send. Otherwise, good luck. And oh, they refused to do anything on the ticket when my colleague in Mexico tried to help me to call them to cancel the ticket.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by tango3
I tried to cancel tickets before and it was utterly utterly useless.

Here's some discrepancies I've had:

1. Before putting thru to the CC system, they asked for my address and some form of ID number (Eg passport).
2. Sometimes they ask for the PIN number. I've set the PIN number NUMEROUS times, and it still fails (even without #). No idea why. Apparently new PINs only take effect 2 hours after it is set (!!!).
3. Their payment gateway seems to be down at random hours, and they dont like to tell you that until you spend 20-30 mins giving them all the details. Then they ask you to call back 7-8 hrs later.

Thats my gripe with LM. If you are absolutely sure with your booking, then its a god-send. Otherwise, good luck. And oh, they refused to do anything on the ticket when my colleague in Mexico tried to help me to call them to cancel the ticket.

Where are you setting your PIN?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
Where are you setting your PIN?
On the profile page once you log in to Lifemiles.
Go to Your Lifemiles
Your information & Preferences link on the left
https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/mya/myp/mypaccinf.aspx
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:52 am

i just cancelled 2 tickets. This is not the first time I cancelled an Avianca Award ticket. The first time few month back, the direction was pretty accurate. Today, when i cancelled 2 tickets, up to step 10 was still the same. afterward, they first asked for my billing address of the cc I will use for the cancellation fee. Then it took me their credit card system where it took my cc information. then the guy told me the miles will be credit it back in 72 hours. The taxes will take up to 3 month to be refunded (to the original cc the award flights were booked on). at no point did he verify my PIN. I have to say, i was dreading to do this but it turned out to be a lot easier than last time. I really hope they are improving this process.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: BD *G, DL PM, HH Gold
Thanks to everyone upthread for their contributions, especially the OP!

I was able to quickly and easily cancel a ticket in person at a Taca city ticket office. No problems at all, everything posted immediately and correctly to my account. They were really helpful, so potentially a great option for those with a ticket office nearby.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by AdamK
Thanks to everyone upthread for their contributions, especially the OP!

I was able to quickly and easily cancel a ticket in person at a Taca city ticket office. No problems at all, everything posted immediately and correctly to my account. They were really helpful, so potentially a great option for those with a ticket office nearby.
Thank you for your experience.

Which ticket office was this?

I will be in Lima in 2 Weeks and i hope this will work like yours.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
two data points -- i eventually got the taxes refunded on both of my LIFEMILES award cancellations recently. took over a week, but eventually the credits showed up on my CC (the original one used, not the one used with the $50 fee). but again, the $25 booking fee was not refunded.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by epiding
two data points -- i eventually got the taxes refunded on both of my LIFEMILES award cancellations recently. took over a week, but eventually the credits showed up on my CC (the original one used, not the one used with the $50 fee). but again, the $25 booking fee was not refunded.
Eventually? Over a week is not exactly long for a refund in airline terms...often they quote months. As did LifeMiles when I cancelled...but I also got the taxes refund in about a week.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat.M&S E+
Originally Posted by angelboi2001
i just cancelled 2 tickets. This is not the first time I cancelled an Avianca Award ticket. The first time few month back, the direction was pretty accurate. Today, when i cancelled 2 tickets, up to step 10 was still the same. afterward, they first asked for my billing address of the cc I will use for the cancellation fee. Then it took me their credit card system where it took my cc information. then the guy told me the miles will be credit it back in 72 hours. The taxes will take up to 3 month to be refunded (to the original cc the award flights were booked on). at no point did he verify my PIN. I have to say, i was dreading to do this but it turned out to be a lot easier than last time. I really hope they are improving this process.

Did you get miles back to your account when using the miles/more cash option. I heart different answers, so maybe a bit lottery ?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by no_idea
Did you get miles back to your account when using the miles/more cash option. I heart different answers, so maybe a bit lottery ?
A few months ago no, now it seems possible. Refunded a month ago, got miles.
Old May 2, 2013, 7:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just cancelled my first award and the experience wasn't bad..... took 23 minutes when calling, there was hardly any input from me during most of that time.

They needed my LM number and then looked up which flights I had. Came up with the right one and then it was to supplying my credit card data though their automated system, after that back to the agent to supply my billing info. And after waiting for another 5 minutes he confirmed the money was charged and he had cancelled my ticket.

Now let's see how long it takes them to send me the confirmation by e-mail and when I get my miles back :-).
Old May 5, 2013, 11:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Never got that confirmation e-mail, but the ticket was cancelled immediately. Took them two days to process the cancellation charge and on day three the miles are back in my account. So far so good, now just waiting for the taxes/fees.

And they did return all miles, my booking was for miles+cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.