FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo-716/)
-   -   How is Avianca J? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avianca-lifemiles-amigo/1390102-how-avianca-j.html)

GetSetJetSet Sep 21, 2012 4:14 pm

How is Avianca J?

I am flying AV J JGK-BOG-CLO-CTG, wondering what to expect. The first flight is on the A330, the others on baby airbii

rafi2k6 Sep 21, 2012 4:40 pm

How is Avianca J?

Comfortable, service is a little still at times but usually pretty good. Food is alright as well, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, albeit not overly

coolcoil Sep 22, 2012 6:50 am

I had my first AV J-class experience this week, round trip MDE-MIA. They were in A319's, so not necessarily comparable.

As described above, the food was pretty good, and certainly better than COPA. We were offered champagne and water on boarding. The wine with the meal was pretty good too. Also, the coffee was not horrible, which is an improvement over any other airline I have flown.

We had no AVOD outbound, but we did have it on the return. I've always been one to say that I don't care about IFE, but I have found that I really like the AVOD and I end up watching a few shows during the flight.

All in all, I wouldn't pay a huge premium for AV J-class, but I would choose it over United or COPA.

JohnnyColombia had a not-so-good experience on a regional A330 flight (LIM-BOG). He recounted the experience here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...it-crappy.html

GetSetJetSet Sep 24, 2012 7:30 pm

I think BOG-CLO and CLO-CTG are on A318/319's but yes, JFK-BOG is an A330. This is an award ticket and my other options were United for 6hrs on a 738 or Copa with a connection on a 737, so the A330 for the long segment was a no brainer.

JohnnyColombia Sep 26, 2012 9:35 am

Biz on an A319 oe 320 is a cradle seat, a bit of extra leg room. I cannot remember if these flights give you a sandwich or something, BOG CLO there is only about 15 minutes between turning the seatbelt sign off and turning it back on again, so no time for any meaningful service.

There is no alcohol served in any classes on either AV or LA

I have only been on a A318 on AV once, they came from the defunct Mexicana but so far as I could tell they had AV interiors so I believe they have the same biz seats. Like I said I only flew one once.

Note unlike LA, AV has a biz class and therefore biz lounges pretty much everywhere. Even PEI has a couple of tables and a beer fridge in a tiny lounge.

Don't forget that BOG CLO leaves from Avianca's Puente Aéreo and not from the main terminal. You'd be surprised how many people miss their flights by going to the wrong "airport." Puente Aéreo has a nice large biz lounge too.

c2h Dec 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Anyone has experience on their A330 for BOG-MAD? Any good?

SkyTeam777 Jul 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Do all Avianca intra-Central/South American flights have printed menus and predeparture champagne in J class? I know domestic may be different, but wondering about flights like BOG-PTY, BOG-LPB, BOG-LIM, etc.

Also is there a way to tell if the narrowbody Airbus has economy style seats in biz or cradle seats in biz?

Anyone been to the new lounge in the new BOG terminal?

colombia123 Jul 25, 2013 8:12 pm

How is Avianca J?

I was at the biz lounge at BOG international today...all I can say is that it is huge! It has a different area for families so you don't have kids running all over the place and a nice "relaxing" area all the way to the back that no one never goes to...very nice

JohnnyColombia Jul 26, 2013 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 21158004)

Also is there a way to tell if the narrowbody Airbus has economy style seats in biz or cradle seats in biz?

To the best of my knowledge, no Avianca narrow bodies have economy type seats in J. The are all 2x2 configuration with proper biz seats.

cmte_valle Jul 28, 2013 11:25 am

Originally Posted by c2h (Post 19897344)
Anyone has experience on their A330 for BOG-MAD? Any good?

In my experience the flights to europe have the best service overall in business and you're more likely to see less people in business as elites don't get upgraded in services to/from Europe.

SkyTeam777 Aug 2, 2013 10:23 am

Originally Posted by cmte_valle (Post 21171646)
In my experience the flights to europe have the best service overall in business and you're more likely to see less people in business as elites don't get upgraded in services to/from Europe.

Does Avianca have a complimentary elite upgrade program like US carriers on Latin American flights? I didn't realize that.

cmte_valle Aug 6, 2013 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 21203051)
Does Avianca have a complimentary elite upgrade program like US carriers on Latin American flights? I didn't realize that.

not only latin-american flights, if you're flying BOG-JFK or JFK-BOG and there is space in business you get upgraded, the only flights that do not qualify for complimentary space available upgrades are the flights that go to europe.

flood Aug 9, 2013 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by colombia123 (Post 21159405)
I was at the biz lounge at BOG international today...all I can say is that it is huge! It has a different area for families so you don't have kids running all over the place and a nice "relaxing" area all the way to the back that no one never goes to...very nice

Did not fly on Avianca but also used the lounge with *G. Nice lounge, quiet areas, kids areas, workstations, decent wifi

coolcoil Aug 9, 2013 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 21203051)

FWIW - American does not have complimentary upgrades from South America, only from Central America.

LAX888 Sep 4, 2013 1:24 am

Does anyone know how reliable flights are for domestic flights within Peru? I am booked in Business and was wondering if they serve any meal for a flight from Lima to Cusco? It is a 1h40min flight. How is the service for Peruvian flights?