Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

COPA or Avianca, Colombia domestic flights in April

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG Gold

None of them yet Star Alliance member but it must be pretty close!?

I have several domestic flights in April that i'm going to book soon and is there any advantage to be seen already like *G checkin or lounges for *G?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
There is nothing that I am aware of that would benefit a *G in April for Colombia internal travel.

Sorry
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:46 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I would rather book Avianca. COPA Colombian domestic flights are operated by Aero Republica (subsidiary) and I am not sure if all COPA subsidiaries will be admitted to *A at the same time (for example Avianca Brasil /Avianca subsidiary/ will not make it to *A for now).
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:43 am

I just saw this link in another post. Apparently COPA is planning on joining *A in April, but no date given.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...Regional%20Hub
Old Mar 29, 2012, 8:09 am

I flew Avianca recently. Very good!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma
I flew Avianca recently. Very good!
Agreed. But I have flown them both a fair number of times in Colombia, and COPA is good too. IME, Avianca is a better experience on board (personal screens at each seat on jets), but COPA is better at being on time.

If I did not have status, I would choose based on price and schedule.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Both of them are supposed to join *A in April, but it is unclear exactly when. As far as I've read across various sources, the entire Copa group (Copa & Copa Colombia/Aero Republica), and the entire AviancaTaca Group (Avianca, Taca, Taca Peru, Taca Regional. LACSA) are joining *A.

It's slightly possible that Copa may give some recognition to *G status ahead of joining more than AviancaTaca would. Reason: Copa's own FF program is and has been for a couple of years already a *A program - first Continental OnePass and now United Mileage Plus after OP was merged into MP 3 weeks ago. So Copa people are more likely to know about *A benefits and offer some of them as a courtesy, since the were offering them to CO OP/UA MP elites already. It wouldn't be an official benefit pre-*A-accession, but it might be the kind of thing that showing your ROP card with *G logo and saying "It's the same as United Premier Platinum or OnePass Platinum - can I get _______ ?" might work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.