Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Questions for upcoming SEA-HAN-SEA trip

Old Aug 12, 08, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold

Hi All,

I have an upcoming trip on Asiana from Seattle to Hanoi and back in September. I had a few questions since I've never taken Asiana before (I'm in coach unfortunately).

1) How is the service on this route and what kind of meals are offered?
2) Is there AVOD?
3) I have a long layover in ICN on the return - is it possible to buy a day pass to the lounge?
4) How are the loads on this route in early September? I'm hoping to snag an empty seat next to me.

Any advice, tips, or experiences welcome! Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 13, 08, 4:24 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Loads SEA-ICN are fairly light 6th September. The flight is operated by a 777 but I can't comment on meals etc. as I have never been in Y. But no matter which class, you can expect a good service from the crew. This is what Asiana is know for.
The lounge in Incheon now is a Priority Pass lounge so you can get access via them. Shouldn't be a problem.

Happy flying!
Old Aug 13, 08, 8:27 am

1) Korean (bibimbap or ssambap) and western (steak or so). On ICN-HAN-ICN, different kind of meals will be offered.
2) On SEA-ICN-SEA, you have roughly 50% chance to have AVOD with 30+ movies. Otherwise PTV with 6 movies + a few TV program.
3) I never heard of a day pass in any airline's ICN lounge. But not sure other company's lounges such as Matina(?) and ....., still you can enjoy paid shower room and paid massage. Or you can have several hour tour, or one day tour, to some places.
4) Early September, SEA-ICN will be light as DownUnderFlyer told, but ICN-SEA might be nearly full. For ICN-HAN-ICN, it's quite full due to tour packages, but these days Vietnam is no more popular than before, so may have many empty seats.
Old Aug 13, 08, 11:57 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
SEA-Vietnam

I went to Vietnam in March on Asiana in economy - best flights of my life (I used the SFO flight). I'm going again out of SEA in Feb.

At the time I flew, Asiana was giving free day-use hotel rooms to all passengers with a layover in excess of 8 hours. I'm not sure if this policy is still in effect or not since this is not advertised. The 777 is quite a spacious plane in economy, and certainly much more comfortable than the older 767's which are operated into Hanoi.

The only problem flying to Vietnam is that terrible airport in Hanoi. Coming back to the States, I had trouble just trying to locate the Asiana check-in area, but the wonderful Asiana ground crew took care of all of my problems, and the flight from Hanoi into Seoul only took 3.5 hours.

I strongly advise you to reserve a hotel in Hanoi and to have them pick you up at the airport (I rave about the wonderful Gia Thinh Hotel in Hanoi's Old Quarter - $30.) The taxi situation there is not good!

I would rate Asiana inflight service (1 to 10) like this:

overall service - 9
beverage service - 9
food service - 6.5
FA availability - 10
video/entertainment - 8
seating comfort - 8

Last edited by Daawgon; Aug 14, 08 at 5:43 pm
Old Aug 13, 08, 8:16 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
3) I never heard of a day pass in any airline's ICN lounge. But not sure other company's lounges such as Matina(?) and ....., still you can enjoy paid shower room and paid massage. Or you can have several hour tour, or one day tour, to some places.
Not just a day pass but in this thread started by you it says it can be accessed via Priority Pass.
Old Aug 13, 08, 8:32 pm

Yep, I said that Forgot that PP is sort of day pass. It would be better if Asiana directly sells oneday pass though.
Old Aug 13, 08, 9:02 pm
zac

As to the AVOD, does anyone know if they have any kid friendly programming included? I am on SFO-ICN and with my daughter in September. If we get one of the AVOD 777s are there enough choices to keep kids busy? On Singapore and Thai with their AVOD there were plenty of choices so I'm hoping Asiana is similar.

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 08, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the assistance everyone! I'm really looking forward to the flight.

As an FYI, my flight dates are SEA-ICN on 8/28 and ICN-SEA on 9/6. If anyone out there could provide load information it would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 14, 08, 3:58 am
Aman Contributor Badge

[KVS Availability Tool 3.2.0/Platinum - Sabre: ITN/UK-ASB]
Code:
SEA  Seattle/Tacoma Int'l WA US [KSEA]
ICN  Seoul Incheon Int'l KR
THU  28 Aug 2008

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ----------------------------------------- 
OZ        271    SEA  13:40     ICN  17:10 +1  777  0    C4 D4 Z4 J4 Y4 B4 M4 H4 E4 Q4 L4 K4 V4 S4
[KVS Availability Tool 3.2.0/Platinum - Sabre: ITN/UK-ASB]
Code:
ICN  Seoul Incheon Int'l KR
SEA  Seattle/Tacoma Int'l WA US [KSEA]
SAT  06 Sep 2008

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C  St   Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ----------------------------------------- 
OZ        272    ICN  17:30     SEA  11:20     777  0    C4 D4 Z4 J4 Y4 B4 M4 H4 E4 Q4 L4 K0 V4 S0
Old Aug 14, 08, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply - looks like it isn't too full. Maybe I'll luck out and be able to stretch.

Thanks all!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: