Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana Business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2004, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, United Platinum, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Question Asiana Business

I am planning a trip to Asia in a couple of weeks, which has made getting award tickets near impossible. I currently have a couple of flights on Asiana, and I did a search trying to find some information out about OZ business class, but there isn't as much written about it as the other Star Alliance airlines. It's my only option in J to return to JFK from NRT on January 23.

I am on OZ 103 from NRT-INC, and then OZ 222 from INC-JFK. Has anybody taken these flights lately? I am very tall (6' 6"), and people dont seem to like the seats too much in J. However, the service and food seem to get rave reviews. One more thing: is there a PTV in J on the 747? A 13-hour flight seems way too long without some sort of entertainment.

Should I try some alternate routings to get back on another airline? Or is it worth sampling this airline? Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 30, 2004, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, JL Sapphire
I'd recommend you avoid the ICN-JFK OZ flight. The aircraft they use for that flight is worn and the IFE is poor. If you want to fly OZ, I recommend you get on their 777 to SFO and then catch a UA flight in F from SFO to JFK. Air Canada may be another good option via YVR (NRT-YVR-JFK). I think AC's J service is really quite good ... better than UA's.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:07 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
I haven't flown the 747, but the seats appear pretty primitive. I flew in J on the 777 ICN-SYD a few months ago and that was pretty good - seats still dated compared to industry leaders, but comfortable and with OK 50" pitch, PTVs etc. As always on OZ the service is excellent - ultra responsive and eager to help, though sometimes their English is not the best - and the food pretty good.

JetCity's advice below is probably sound. Note also that OZ flies the 777 from SEA as well. I would second his comments about AC business class too - definitely a step up from UA, and with more room (60" pitch) as well, although some of the seats are getting a little worn.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 8:42 am

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
I suspect this may be too late for your trip, but I flew OZ 222 ICN-JFK yesterday. There is no reason not to take this flight. Advice regarding the 777 over the 747 is sound -- the seats on the 777 are much newer, offer laptop power, and have larger screens. I've also flown on UA's 777 service ICN-NRT-JFK and all else being equal, I would choose OZ over UA. UA offers slightly greater pictch and slightly more modern seat, but I don't find it any more comfortable than OZ. OZ offers much better food, service, and better IFE (I hate those tiny screens on UA). The OZ777 seats are far more advanced and comfortable than UA777 and the IFE screen is about 5x as large. The one major drawback to the OZ747 is the lack of laptop power. If AC were an option, I would probably choose that due to their better seat (unless it meant spending 6 hours in an A319 YVR-JFK).

One thing to be aware of -- I think the pitch varies in business class on the 747. It looked like the main deck seats have slightly more pitch than the upper deck (assuming you are on the all pax 747, the combi does not have J on the main deck). Avoid the row I had (last row, upper deck, left side) which seemed to have slightly less pitch than other upper deck seats. Your best bet is exit row on the upper deck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.