Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

3 seats with only 2 working air masks. Legal to sit 3 passengers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 seats with only 2 working air masks. Legal to sit 3 passengers?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Talking 3 seats with only 2 working air masks. Legal to sit 3 passengers?

Flew out of ICN on May 30th on an A350.
Asiana says it's within their policy to fly with 2 working air masks with 3 people flying in the 3-seat row of an A350. Bulkhead.
I asked what the third person needs to do in case of an emergency. The gate manager said the person should reach for the an unused air mask, if available.
I then asked if this is within the FAA guideline (i have no idea if a Korean airline needs to follow FAA rules), he's answer was that it's within their guidelines.
I politely asked to record our conversion in case this is not true.

What irked me was that the reservation center agent specifically said that one of the seats must be empty due to the "missing" air mask on the bulkhead premium economy section. Hence, i couldn't purchase 3 seats together for my family.
Bought 2 seats bulkhead and one seat on the row behind it. This was required with our bassinet and child seat needs.
Walked onto the plane and saw a person sitting on the "missing airmask" seat. The wife and I weren't happy at all.
At the end of the day, the gentlemen in the "missing airmask" seat agreed to trade places with me. I thanked him and offered to purchase in-flight WIFI, which didn't work until the last 2 hours of the flight.

Just before landing, the in-cabin manager swung by to apology about the misunderstanding.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
That sounds fishy by OZ, but I am no expert.

Why couldn't the gentleman in the "missing airmask" seat trade place with your child instead?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gasolin
That sounds fishy by OZ, but I am no expert.

Why couldn't the gentleman in the "missing airmask" seat trade place with your child instead?
the carseat was on the window seat.. wouldn't have made much of a difference.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 12:15 am
Original Poster

FAA got back to me on this issue and said Asiana confirmed there were 3 masks in the row..

im not sure if I believe this story but said okay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.