Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

What happened to all the availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I usually transfer AMEX Points to ANA to book on Asiana when going from the US to Korea.

I am trying to book an outbound flight from US (LAX, SFO or SEA) to S. Korea on Asiana in business class. But literally there is no availability showing on the United or ANA website for Asiana in September, October or November.

Did I miss the memo or something? Is this really a bunch of demand, or is Asiana now releasing seats or am I looking at this wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
I think it's just full. Even OZ doesn't show much availability.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:56 pm

Crazy I dont get it either. Usually there's quite a lot of seats. There's really nothing available this year!!
Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:55 am

Maybe everyone paid the business seats. Or OZ is restricting them, or who knows.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 11:46 am

The airline is releasing a significant lower number of award seats compared to pre-pandemic times, and also ton of people are grabbing award seats as they finally look ahead to travel.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:39 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
not to mention people with OZ miles trying to use them up before the expected merger
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:23 pm

I just called Asiana and they said it's just low availability.
They won't be releasing more mileage award business class seats, only if someone cancels, then an open slot will show up online.
You can buy a flexible economy ticket and then upgrade to business with miles as an alternative.

Last edited by superbobbay; Apr 5, 2022 at 7:07 pm
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:09 pm

Korean people have only been able to travel for leisure for a few months last year, and severely curtailed again since November 2021 because of the re-introduction of home quarantine upon re-entry due to Omicron - these restrictions were only lifted a few weeks ago.

As such, there is a lot of pent-up demand for seats generally, and particularly using the miles which people have been collecting for the past two years without any chance to use them. There will be a lot of competition for award seats. Since OZ allows waitlisting for award seats, chances of them becoming available to other *A is even lower than usual.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:00 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by superbobbay
I just called Asiana and they said it's just low availability.
They won't be releasing more mileage award business class seats, only if someone cancels, then an open slot will show up online.
You can buy a flexible economy ticket and then upgrade to business with miles as an alternative.
I hope you realise that doesn't mean that you can purchase an upgradeable economy ticket and will always be able to upgrade to business with miles. Business upgrade with miles and business mileage redemptions are the same ticket class with OZ. So if all business mileage redemption seats are gone, you still won't be able to upgrade from Y.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by sol95
I hope you realise that doesn't mean that you can purchase an upgradeable economy ticket and will always be able to upgrade to business with miles. Business upgrade with miles and business mileage redemptions are the same ticket class with OZ. So if all business mileage redemption seats are gone, you still won't be able to upgrade from Y.
Hmmm that's weird. When I was talking to the Asiana rep over the phone, I asked her if it was possible to purchase an economy ticket, then use miles for upgrading to business, since there's no Sept availability for a business class mileage redemption. She said yes, there's plenty of seats in Sept for an economy flexi ticket, then I could use 80,000 points to upgrade to a business class. So in total it would cost $1250 for a round trip flexi ticket, then I would spent 80,000 points to upgrade to business class.

I actually have been checking daily for a business class ticket and found one in Oct. So I was able to skip all that mess and directly book a business class redemption ticket.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:09 pm

Hmmm that's weird. When I was talking to the Asiana rep over the phone, I asked her if it was possible to purchase an economy ticket, then use miles for upgrading to business, since there's no Sept availability for a business class mileage redemption. She said yes, there's plenty of seats in Sept for an economy flexi ticket, then I could use 80,000 points to upgrade to a business class. So in total it would cost $1250 for a round trip flexi ticket, then I would spent 80,000 points to upgrade to business class.

I actually have been checking daily for a business class ticket and found one in Oct. So I was able to skip all that mess and directly book a business class redemption ticket.
Which route were you looking? Maybe I should try looking again...
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin
Which route were you looking? Maybe I should try looking again...
LAX->ICN.
I checked multiple times throughout the day for about two weeks. I noticed seats woud open up here and there. Not many, but I am quite persistent and it paid off. Good luck!
silvervknight likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 12:02 pm

LAX->ICN.
I checked multiple times throughout the day for about two weeks. I noticed seats woud open up here and there. Not many, but I am quite persistent and it paid off. Good luck!
I am on a ICN-JFK return flight for Aug and seats... well they are non existent hahaha. I hope two people give up so that I can sneak in something!
Old Apr 15, 2022, 1:01 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I randomly checked ICN-SYD for JANUARY 2023 and got the literal last seat......in February 2022.
Old May 18, 2022, 9:44 pm

Yeah. I had 5 award seats booked 2019 prior pandemic border closures then canceled and rebooked 2021. At those times I was easily seeing 5-6 seats per flight. I just checked LAX-ICN in April and May of next year and saw 0. The best alternative would be EVA air through Taipei but only 2 award space. I really hope I can recreate the trip and not have my miles go to waste…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.