Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Award Availability on United using Asiana Miles

Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone tried booking on United metal awards using Asiana recently? Their (Asiana) call center is saying they do not see *any* availability even though both the United booking tool and ExpertFlyer show half a dozen seats.

I'm specifically looking for business class IAD-MUC in July, 2022.

I wonder if United is blocking partner awards as the rep could only see one economy seat available on a different day.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Maybe they're blocking each other because there is no availability on UA for OZ as well.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by dctravelenthusiast
Has anyone tried booking on United metal awards using Asiana recently? Their (Asiana) call center is saying they do not see *any* availability even though both the United booking tool and ExpertFlyer show half a dozen seats.

I'm specifically looking for business class IAD-MUC in July, 2022.

I wonder if United is blocking partner awards as the rep could only see one economy seat available on a different day.
Are you sure? What exactly are you looking at? I just did some searches. Zero saver availability on the IAD-MUC flights for all of July on united.com. Zero "I" class availability showing via ExperFlyer for IAD-MUC for all of July. UA has some much higher priced extra availability awards through its own program but no saver which is what you need for partners.

I do some partner availability in the latter part of July, TK for one, but that United does not control what TK availability Asiana gets, that would be TK.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
United availability must be in "I" class for business and "X" class for economy. Anything else you see on the United site is not a Saver award and cannot be booked with partner miles.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0
United availability must be in "I" class for business and "X" class for economy. Anything else you see on the United site is not a Saver award and cannot be booked with partner miles.
Thanks, this is helpful. So there is no way to know from united.com which flights are available to partners for business award redemption? Because I look from ANA and I see nothing, but United has plenty of flights from EWR to ICN...
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gasolin
Thanks, this is helpful. So there is no way to know from united.com which flights are available to partners for business award redemption? Because I look from ANA and I see nothing, but United has plenty of flights from EWR to ICN...
There is, when you search for "Book with Miles" availability on the United website and click on "Details" for each result you can see what fare code it is.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:27 pm

There is, when you search for "Book with Miles" availability on the United website and click on "Details" for each result you can see what fare code it is.
Ah then it's almost always J I think, instead of I. That's why I can't see it at all. I am trying to use those ANA miles and OZ is full for JFK / ICN (no availability in awards, even on OZ website) in June and July.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 5:19 pm

Ah then it's almost always J I think, instead of I. That's why I can't see it at all. I am trying to use those ANA miles and OZ is full for JFK / ICN (no availability in awards, even on OZ website) in June and July.
Yeah anything in "JN" fare code can't be booked.

From NYC-ICN I see business class awards on 6/21, 6/28, and almost every day in July after the 5th.

Much of the availability is long-hauls operated by Air Canada, I also saw a few dates with Asiana long-hauls.
I also saw a bunch of availability through Istanbul, but I can't remember if you can book US-Asia awards through Europe, someone else can maybe chip in. The flights through Europe come up on the United site but might go above Asiana's MPM rule.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:05 am

Yeah anything in "JN" fare code can't be booked.

From NYC-ICN I see business class awards on 6/21, 6/28, and almost every day in July after the 5th.

Much of the availability is long-hauls operated by Air Canada, I also saw a few dates with Asiana long-hauls.
I also saw a bunch of availability through Istanbul, but I can't remember if you can book US-Asia awards through Europe, someone else can maybe chip in. The flights through Europe come up on the United site but might go above Asiana's MPM rule.
Wow how do you see all that? I can't see any, which search tool do you use? I am actually trying to book R/T.

Ah if you're using OZ site, yes I understand. I was trying to use the ANA site, and on those dates, I only see ANA flights (that are to be waitlisted and I certainly don't expect much because I have no status with ANA). Asian carriers want the NYC-ICN route to be TPAC, so it has to be OZ, AC, NH or UA, I think. And I don't see any of them from the ANA website, is what I was trying to say.

Last edited by Gasolin; Nov 24, 2021 at 10:13 am
Old Nov 25, 2021, 2:17 am

Wow how do you see all that? I can't see any, which search tool do you use? I am actually trying to book R/T.

Ah if you're using OZ site, yes I understand. I was trying to use the ANA site, and on those dates, I only see ANA flights (that are to be waitlisted and I certainly don't expect much because I have no status with ANA). Asian carriers want the NYC-ICN route to be TPAC, so it has to be OZ, AC, NH or UA, I think. And I don't see any of them from the ANA website, is what I was trying to say.

I am only using United's site to search for everything. Asiana's site is pretty bad, you can always call in and book by phone if you write down the segments that you found on United's site.

I'll give you a specific example in J, on 7/13/22:
AC 8941 (EWR-YUL)
AC 5 (YUL-NRT)
OZ 105 (NRT-ICN)

I am assuming you want to book using OZ miles? Because if you want to book with ANA miles you have to book a roundtrip all at once, that's a rule of that program.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 5:30 am

I am only using United's site to search for everything. Asiana's site is pretty bad, you can always call in and book by phone if you write down the segments that you found on United's site.

I'll give you a specific example in J, on 7/13/22:
AC 8941 (EWR-YUL)
AC 5 (YUL-NRT)
OZ 105 (NRT-ICN)

I am assuming you want to book using OZ miles? Because if you want to book with ANA miles you have to book a roundtrip all at once, that's a rule of that program.
Yeah I was trying to use MR pts that were on ANA and that sit there since covid.
OZ direct flight was my preference but there is no availability at all from ANA perspective (and not even on OZ website).
The second choice would have been any carrier in J.

ANA itself doesn't release enough J seats on the JFK ICN route to give me options, so I was hoping to use UA or AC but it looks like it's going to be complicated for me for Jun or Jul.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 3:26 pm

Update: I actually called and they told me this is more a around the world type of ticket and needs to be booked on the phone.
They shared this potential route:

EWR - ZRH - CDG - IST - ICN - JFK.

Mostly on J except the last leg ICN - JFK.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Anyone seeing OZ availability especially in J from JFK - ICN any dates after May?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
Anyone seeing OZ availability especially in J from JFK - ICN any dates after May?
There's some availability in Jan/Feb 2023 if that's not too far out for you:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.