Packed flights to Korea?

Old May 10, 20, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Packed flights to Korea?

I was watching some vlogs about flying to Korea and they mentioned that their flights were packed. Like this woman at 1:05

I was under the impression that few were flying. Is that still the case? I'll be doing LAX to ICN.
Old May 10, 20, 3:03 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
If any flight is full, it'd be LAX-ICN due to the largest Korean community in the USA, general business etc. No one can say how full your exact flight will be or when, but you should expect it to be full and be able to "mentally handle it" haha.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old May 10, 20, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

I checked the seating options on several upcoming flights. It seems that the front half of the plane is almost completely full whereas the back half is only 20% full. Is there is reason why this is the case?
Old May 11, 20, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Madoka View Post
I checked the seating options on several upcoming flights. It seems that the front half of the plane is almost completely full whereas the back half is only 20% full. Is there is reason why this is the case?
Presuming they do exactly as Korean Air - they save the front half of the plane for their frequent flyer elite members. The back half is only available for the cheaper tickets/most people before check in. At web check-in time, the entire plane should open up for selection. And of course, most Koreans/Asian travellers don't actually "do" web check in and prefer in-person seat selection. Of course in Coronatimes it's not normal.

But again, since everyone is up in arms about "airlines not practicing social distancing," I would be prepared mentally to handle a full flight and the attitudes of all those people haha.
Old May 15, 20, 1:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Probably many Korean international students who didn't want to go back because they would've had to wake up at like 2am for their remote classes are now returning home.
Old May 15, 20, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, Hertz Gold, National Executive
I've also heard of Korean Americans with extended family going to Korea to ride out the COVID-19 shut down here in the US. They have abundant testing and free health care. For those who can remote work, it's easier to go to Korea, quarantine for 14 days, and then live a relatively normal life again with open restaurants and etc.
Old May 15, 20, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
Presuming they do exactly as Korean Air - they save the front half of the plane for their frequent flyer elite members.
Ok, so I booked a flight next week by picking the one that was least full. Nearly the entire front half of the plane was completely filled, but the back half was 85% empty,

So I picked seats in the back where no one else was sitting. Today I checked to see that the front half of the plane is now empty and the entire back 30% of the plane is completely filled.

Is Asiana just messing with me?
Old May 16, 20, 2:37 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Today I checked to see that the front half of the plane is now empty and the entire back 30% of the plane is completely filled.

Is Asiana just messing with me?
Cargo shift?
Old May 21, 20, 2:19 am
Original Poster

For the record, there were 70 passengers for a plane with a capacity of 280. Everyone got their own row.
Old May 21, 20, 3:42 am

For the record, there were 70 passengers for a plane with a capacity of 280. Everyone got their own row.
Sounds magical. All that space. So quiet and calm. And so far to go with such an empty plane haha. In my almost nine years of flying back and forth to Atlanta on Korean Air, I've only gotten my own row/seen empty seats like once. Seriously.
Old May 21, 20, 9:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
Sounds magical. All that space. So quiet and calm. And so far to go with such an empty plane haha. In my almost nine years of flying back and forth to Atlanta on Korean Air, I've only gotten my own row/seen empty seats like once. Seriously.
Oh man, I've been getting full rows on ICN-LAX probably 50% of the time if not higher on the OZ A380s. part of the reason I never want that plane to retire.
Old May 21, 20, 1:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Originally Posted by SightseeMC View Post
Oh man, I've been getting full rows on ICN-LAX probably 50% of the time if not higher on the OZ A380s. part of the reason I never want that plane to retire.
If they don't retire the A380, the company will have to retire!!!
SightseeMC likes this.
Old May 23, 20, 6:47 am

that's why I have been telling my friends that business class is a waste of money now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: