Quarantine for visitors

Old Apr 6, 20, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Quarantine for visitors

Anyone know what the quarantine process is like for foreigners coming into Seoul from the US?
Old Apr 7, 20, 12:46 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
What is the purpose of entry? Just tourism? You don't have any work visa or anything right?

You will see here https://flyasiana.com/C/KR/EN/custom...02030001195030

Short term visitors are being forced to go to GOVERNMENT quarantine at their own expense for 14 days. This is not "go to your own AirBnB and check in via app." This is "they put you on a bus and take you somewhere to monitor you. And you pay for it yourself so it's around 1,400,000W (around 1,150 USD).

I would certainly not want to come and find out.
ReddSon and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 7, 20, 9:19 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
What is the purpose of entry? Just tourism? You don't have any work visa or anything right?

You will see here https://flyasiana.com/C/KR/EN/custom...02030001195030

Short term visitors are being forced to go to GOVERNMENT quarantine at their own expense for 14 days. This is not "go to your own AirBnB and check in via app." This is "they put you on a bus and take you somewhere to monitor you. And you pay for it yourself so it's around 1,400,000W (around 1,150 USD).

I would certainly not want to come and find out.
Yeah, it's not great because family could be torn apart.

Example: my wife is South Korean, we do own a place in South Korea where we could go to be self isolated, but I am not South Korean. Would that mean she can go to our place, but I can't and would have to go to that other place paying $1,150? For the context, we live in the US.
Old Apr 7, 20, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

While I have a vacation house in Seoul, I was planning on going in as a tourist. I guess there aren't going to be many tourists to Korea for a while then.
Old Apr 7, 20, 7:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post

Example: my wife is South Korean, we do own a place in South Korea where we could go to be self isolated, but I am not South Korean. Would that mean she can go to our place, but I can't and would have to go to that other place paying $1,150? For the context, we live in the US.
I have a Korean spouse as well, and my understanding is that it's *possible* they would let you self-quarantine with a Korean cell phone (to monitor your movements) if you have the requisite long-term visa (F6 or F1) and/or ARC. That's the quarantine where they check on you twice a day to make sure you're still in the house. But I don't know that there's a guarantee that they wouldn't just ship you to the quarantine facility and make you ride it out.
Old Apr 7, 20, 9:03 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post

As the other person implied more recently, there ARE exceptions for spouses of Korean citizens. You will be allowed to go to their family home, BUT everyone will be in self quarantine for 14 days of course. You should call your local Korean Embassy for details - I've seen some flyers posted around on Reddit etc of the exceptions, but don't want to be quoted incorrectly.
Old Apr 7, 20, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by SightseeMC View Post
I have a Korean spouse as well, and my understanding is that it's *possible* they would let you self-quarantine with a Korean cell phone (to monitor your movements) if you have the requisite long-term visa (F6 or F1) and/or ARC. That's the quarantine where they check on you twice a day to make sure you're still in the house. But I don't know that there's a guarantee that they wouldn't just ship you to the quarantine facility and make you ride it out.
I don't have any F6 or F1 visa, or any Alien Registration Card. I don't have a Korean cell phone.

So you can download the app on the iPhone though, and if your roaming is active, it could be possible to track you.
I just tested it for fun, you can put a US number and receive their text, and enter the confirmation number in the app.

At the end it tells you the passport number is not in the immigration, which I suppose makes sense because I am not really in their system, but that's one way.

So maybe I could go stay in Korea at the apt we own! But what's the point anyway... I'll be brave and stay in the most dangerous place in the USA according to the stats, NYC.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
As the other person implied more recently, there ARE exceptions for spouses of Korean citizens. You will be allowed to go to their family home, BUT everyone will be in self quarantine for 14 days of course. You should call your local Korean Embassy for details - I've seen some flyers posted around on Reddit etc of the exceptions, but don't want to be quoted incorrectly.
Data point from my wife who follows all those Korean wives in the US...

You can go to Korea and stay at your family house as a foreigner if you can prove your marriage status.
A woman has been told her husband, albeit coming at a different date, can go to the house when there's no issue with the temperature, if he brings the marriage certificate.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Apr 13, 20, 11:18 am
Original Poster

If the Koreans have tests that can show whether you have corona by the next day, I don't understand why foreigners can't just be given such tests instead of decimating their tourist industry. I'd gladly pay for it rather than two weeks of quarantine.
Old Apr 13, 20, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Madoka View Post
If the Koreans have tests that can show whether you have corona by the next day, I don't understand why foreigners can't just be given such tests instead of decimating their tourist industry. I'd gladly pay for it rather than two weeks of quarantine.
If you meant why foreigners are not tested when they arrive in Seoul, I think it's because test kits are not a commodity and are still rare, relatively speaking.

On the other hand, Finland is flying samples with planes to get them tested in Korea and fly back. It's faster than waiting for their own tests to deliver results, etc...

https://www.barrons.com/news/finland...ea-01585671304

South Korea, if news are to be believed, is negotiating the retrieval of Korean expats to Korea when countries ask to use their test kits too.

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/202...n-distributor/

"The kits will reach Morocco via a special flight that will also return Korean citizens from Africa, decided in cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs."

I am however interested on how South Korea and the USA will negotiate the SMA because the valuation ($900m for South Korea vs $5B for the USA) is so far apart.
There was hope the US needing the coronavirus kits from Korea would make things easier but it does not seem to be the case at the end!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN21S1W7
Old Apr 15, 20, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
The Covid-19 swab tests have an estimated 20-30% false negative rate, so not a great way to determine if someone is safe.
Old Apr 30, 20, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Asiana said:

"Short-term visitors who do not have a specific residence in Korea must undergo a 14 day quarantine period at an isolation facility designated by the Korean government."

I do have a vacation house in Korea where I wouldn't mind staying there for a couple of weeks. Does that count as a "specific residence"?
Old Apr 30, 20, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Asiana said:

"Short-term visitors who do not have a specific residence in Korea must undergo a 14 day quarantine period at an isolation facility designated by the Korean government."

I do have a vacation house in Korea where I wouldn't mind staying there for a couple of weeks. Does that count as a "specific residence"?
I don't know, but I would be tempted to interpret that as 'who are not ordinarily resident in Korea.'
Old Apr 30, 20, 2:45 am
Original Poster

I looked on the Korean government page, and it said:

http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/us-en/brd...d=&company_nm=

"Short-term travelers (foreign nationals) without a confirmed address in Korea are subject to quarantine at a facility designated by the Korean government."

I wonder what that confirmed address exception is.
Old Apr 30, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: OZ Gold *S
I looked on the Korean government page, and it said:

Quarantine Exemption for Short-Term Foreign Visitors to the Republic of Korea(1)-in English ????|NoticeEmbassy of the Republic of Korea in the USA

"Short-term travelers (foreign nationals) without a confirmed address in Korea are subject to quarantine at a facility designated by the Korean government."

I wonder what that confirmed address exception is.
In reality, short term travellers are defined as visitors staying less than 90 days in Korea. Long term travellers are more or so travellers who have a semi-permanent residency in Korea and are planning to stay longer than 90 days. Obviously this is at the discretion of quarantine and immigration. This flowchart has been posted on the ICN website for some time now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: