Quarantine for visitors

Old Aug 27, 21, 1:35 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Even if you are vaccinated outside of Korea and vaccinated with one of the vaccines that Korea approves, that does not give you automatic quarantine exemption in Korea. As of August 2021, you still have to apply for Quarantine Exemption. Does not matter if you are Korean or a Foreigner. If vaccinated outside of Korea, you will need a Quarantine Exemption certificate before you arrive in Korea.

There was a short time period where Korea did not recognize people vaccinated outside of Korea. I believe starting July 1st, Korea recognized certain vaccines from certain countries, and then you have to apply for Quarantine Exemption.
Old Aug 27, 21, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by cdf2108 View Post
Alex, does this mean that you have CDC vaccine cards which the Korean government would have recognized (and exempted you from quarantine upon arrival in Korea) had one of your colleagues not been exposed?
The arrival quarantine exemption is more complicated than that and not automatic, and my company was not able to obtain it for my colleagues and I. Perhaps if they were, we wouldn't have needed to quarantine the second time because our vaccines would have been verified somehow? As it is, the CDC card is not sufficient for the government to exempt you from an exposure-related quarantine.
Old Aug 27, 21, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by nme7 View Post
I believe starting July 1st, Korea recognized certain vaccines from certain countries, and then you have to apply for Quarantine Exemption.
Could you link me to the official website where they say that foreigners with approved vaccinations received outside Korea are eligible for Quarantine Exemption? I could not find it on ?? > ???? ???? " 7? 1??? ?? ???? ???? ?? ?? ? ???? ?? " | ?? ?? ?? ??, ?????
Old Aug 27, 21, 2:49 pm

See here for the instructions in English and here for them in Korean.

A couple things to note. The application process is different for English speakers and Korean speakers now. Theres a central website that you submit to for the Korean application whereas English speakers complete the applications forms and submit to the designated email address for your consulate. English speakers should check the website of their consulate as the specific procedures vary from consulate to consulate.

The US Embassy Korea also has very good information on its website.

Last edited by sonetsst; Aug 27, 21 at 3:18 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Aug 27, 21, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by sonetsst View Post
See here for the instructions in English and here for them in Korean.
Ah, I see, foreign vaccinated persons may apply only if they are a) visiting immediate family b) going to a funeral or c) visiting Korea on *important* business. There is no blanket exemption yet for foreign vaccinated people like there is for Korean residents who are vaccinated in Korea and then choose to travel elsewhere and return.
Old Aug 31, 21, 5:45 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Came into Korea on the quarantine waiver program last week. Was fairly simple and the main requirement was a covid test the same day, and another later in the week.

​​Feel free to post any questions
Old Aug 31, 21, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by lakers6902 View Post
Came into Korea on the quarantine waiver program last week. Was fairly simple and the main requirement was a covid test the same day, and another later in the week.

​​Feel free to post any questions
​​​​​​​Under which exemption were you eligible for the waiver? Did you get calls every day to make sure you stuck to the itinerary, etc?
Old Aug 31, 21, 1:40 pm

UPDATE: I see this was just posted on the Seoul Immigration website starting September 1:
https://www.k-eta.go.kr/portal/apply/index.do
Unclear whether this grants you quarantine exemption as well.

Last edited by cdf2108; Aug 31, 21 at 1:47 pm
Old Sep 1, 21, 4:43 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Under which exemption were you eligible for the waiver? Did you get calls every day to make sure you stuck to the itinerary, etc?
My spouses family is here so I came under the immediate family exemption. Nope, today is day 6 and I haven't been contacted since leaving the airport. I have a self quarantine app on my phone where I do daily check ins, but I doubt anything happens. My spouse deleted her app the next day and no ones contacted us. My second pcr test is due tomorrow and my wife did stress we cant miss it.

​​​​​​​There's no itinerary to follow. After our first day test confirmed negative, we've been allowed to move about freely.
Old Sep 1, 21, 10:47 am

UPDATE: I see this was just posted on the Seoul Immigration website starting September 1:
https://www.k-eta.go.kr/portal/apply/index.do
Unclear whether this grants you quarantine exemption as well.
This is completely unrelated to the quarantine requirement and does not provide any quarantine exemption.

K-ETA is equivalent to the USAs ESTA program, which requires foreigners who can enter without a visa or under a visa waiver to provide sufficient information to be screened through criminal / sanctions databases. On September 1, K-ETA transitioned from its trial phase to a mandatory program.
Old Oct 3, 21, 1:18 pm

Has anyone been able to get the quarantine exemption based on a business trip?

Old Oct 5, 21, 9:22 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Yes.

Fully Vaccinated and quarantine exemption for a business trip. You'll need to contact your Business Support center (in Korea) in order to apply for the exemption. Do not expect any assistance in English!
Old Oct 11, 21, 10:36 am

Singapore is opening up travel to South Korea and the US via a Vaccinated Travel Lane:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...-travel-lanes/
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 1, 21, 11:50 am

Does anyone know what constitutes "academic & public interest" travel for the quarantine exemption?

Search this Thread