Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Club Status Period Extension due to COVID-19?

Asiana Club Status Period Extension due to COVID-19?

Old Apr 8, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: TK Elite, A3 Gold, AC Bottom of the Barrel now
Just want to verify with you experts out there. I was going for *A gold (i.e. diamond). I reached 30,000 when I took my last flight in Jan. 2020. Asiana did not extend the evaluation period more than 6 months correct?

Seems I have to start from scratch to get the 40,000 again and consider whether Asiana is the airline to work with.

Thanks for confirming what I'm trying to understand. These press statements are truly difficult to understand and the CSR's don't seem very informed.

https://flyasiana.com/C/KR/EN/custom...=0&searchText=
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by outpost
Just want to verify with you experts out there. I was going for *A gold (i.e. diamond). I reached 30,000 when I took my last flight in Jan. 2020. Asiana did not extend the evaluation period more than 6 months correct?

Seems I have to start from scratch to get the 40,000 again and consider whether Asiana is the airline to work with.

Thanks for confirming what I'm trying to understand. These press statements are truly difficult to understand and the CSR's don't seem very informed.

There was an update posted last month shared earlier in the thread saying they'd be giving another six months to people who still aren't able to fly. I'll be paying close attention since my Diamond is set to expire at the end of this month with me being almost 10k short of requalification. If it pans out, then I should be able to sort it this summer (I'm set to fly to Taiwan for work, so doing it in Premium Economy on a *A carrier and getting creative with the routing should do it) if I'm given the extra 6 months. Otherwise I'll be looking to SQ as a short-term solution due to their transfer bonus promo (from now until next February, for every 5 miles transferred in from partner programs, they'll count 1 mile towards status, so I've got enough transferable points banked to get most of the way to *G with them if I move them all to Krisflyer).
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
I don't understand this notice.
My trial period is 12/2018-11.2020, I have earned enough miles to extend my status until 11.2022. Since 12/2020 I haven't flown at all. Do they extend my status for 1/2 or 1 year or not?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
In your case, no. This measure is only for people whose status is expiring and they couldn't earn enough to extend their status past 2020 (or 2021).
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
It works no differently than any other status program that grants status as soon as the qualifying requirements are achieved (which is nearly all of them). Once the required mileage is reached on OZ, status is given for both the remainder of the current membership period as well as the following membership period.

Also, it is possible to track earned mileage over any period by selecting the "My Mileage" section after logging in on the Asiana FFP website. So just set the start date to the beginning of your membership period and click "earned miles" which should be accurate for most people with our use case (and you can just subtract any extraneous earnings if necessary).
It might be the same as others, but then maybe I'm just kinda dumb. When I was elite with Air Canada, yes you got your status basically right away after earning it, as long as you earned it before a certain date IIRC. But I always knew that my earning period was Jan 1-Dec 31. So if I earned status Oct 1, I would get it from Oct 1-Dec 31 then Jan 1-Dec 31 of the following year. But during that 1 calendar year, would be my new qualification period. I've had a hard time keeping track on Asiana where I am in those life cycles because 1) they're so long and 2) they aren't based on calendar years, it's based on anniversary date.

My total mileage since signup May 3, 2017 is 91,841.

If any of the following conditions have been met during the 24-month period from the base date (Base Date* Date of subscription for members who joined Asiana Club on or after October 1, 2008)
  • 1) 30,000 miles accrued on Asiana Airlines and Star Alliance flights
  • 2) 30 flights with Asiana Airlines
  • 3) 30,000 total miles accrued (when Asiana Airlines and Star Alliance flight mileage is over 20,000 and combined with Asiana affiliate card records)
So,

I read that as, my counter resets after hitting the original 40,000 miles back to 0, during my elite period I've clearly gone over the 30,000 miles needed to maintain the status have I not? I earned the elite status and had like 16 months left of the original 24 month period. Then I got another 24 months of status, which adds up to almost 4 years since I signed up. So that makes sense, but having earned over 90,000 miles, all flying (no credit cards or anything like that) should I not have requalified?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by outpost

First just an opinion, as confused as I am in my other posts, I evaluated all the Star programs a while back, OZ was clearly the best "value" at least. You need the least amount of miles and you get the longest status length. If you're flying business class semi frequently, then there might be a better program to wherever you are regionally that offers the chance at upgrades and stuff. For me all of that kinda stuff with OZ is useless since I live in Canada and they don't fly here. But the qualification for Star Gold, which is what I'm after, is unbeatable.

There's a few key points as I read them from the page linked.

1. You need to be an active Elite member as of April 13, 2020. So if your status expired in Jan 2020, then you wouldn't qualify. If you MADE status on Jan 31, 2020, then go to 2.

2. Did you get downgraded after Mar 1, 2020? So again, if you were downgraded in Feb 2020 you're out of luck.

3. Now the last part, if you're set to get downgraded between Mar 1, 2020 and Jun 30, 2021 (myself included) it says you'll be extended until Dec 31, 2021...I think that's a bit of a typo or maybe a poor translation. I think what they should've written that you'd be extended 6 months to a maximum of Dec 31, 2021 or something to that effect. Otherwise it would seem like some people get like a 14 month extension while others only get 6. That could be correct but it seems a little unfair, UNLESS they just think that covid will be over more or less by the end of 2021.

If you're set to expire between Jul 1 - Oct 31, 2021 you'd be extended to Jan 31, 2022. Again it says (3 months extended) but if you expired on Jul 1 that's obviously a lot longer than 3 months.

They claim you should be able to see you new expiration date after Apr 20, 2021. So in about a weeks time I guess we'll have our answer, I'm hoping I get extended, but then again, I still don't really understand if I did requalify and it just doesn't show, or if I'm gonna be starting from scratch again lol
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:44 am

Programs: TK Elite, A3 Gold, AC Bottom of the Barrel now
Originally Posted by drvannostren
First just an opinion, as confused as I am in my other posts, I evaluated all the Star programs a while back, OZ was clearly the best "value" at least. You need the least amount of miles and you get the longest status length. If you're flying business class semi frequently, then there might be a better program to wherever you are regionally that offers the chance at upgrades and stuff. For me all of that kinda stuff with OZ is useless since I live in Canada and they don't fly here. But the qualification for Star Gold, which is what I'm after, is unbeatable.

There's a few key points as I read them from the page linked.

1. You need to be an active Elite member as of April 13, 2020. So if your status expired in Jan 2020, then you wouldn't qualify. If you MADE status on Jan 31, 2020, then go to 2.

2. Did you get downgraded after Mar 1, 2020? So again, if you were downgraded in Feb 2020 you're out of luck.

3. Now the last part, if you're set to get downgraded between Mar 1, 2020 and Jun 30, 2021 (myself included) it says you'll be extended until Dec 31, 2021...I think that's a bit of a typo or maybe a poor translation. I think what they should've written that you'd be extended 6 months to a maximum of Dec 31, 2021 or something to that effect. Otherwise it would seem like some people get like a 14 month extension while others only get 6. That could be correct but it seems a little unfair, UNLESS they just think that covid will be over more or less by the end of 2021.

If you're set to expire between Jul 1 - Oct 31, 2021 you'd be extended to Jan 31, 2022. Again it says (3 months extended) but if you expired on Jul 1 that's obviously a lot longer than 3 months.

They claim you should be able to see you new expiration date after Apr 20, 2021. So in about a weeks time I guess we'll have our answer, I'm hoping I get extended, but then again, I still don't really understand if I did requalify and it just doesn't show, or if I'm gonna be starting from scratch again lol
Thanks Dr.!

I agree with you...I guess I just had it a bit mixed up as I'm retaining gold, but I was hoping to reach diamond when covid hit, but the "evaluation period" wasn't extended, so I'm out of luck!
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:46 am

It might be the same as others, but then maybe I'm just kinda dumb. When I was elite with Air Canada, yes you got your status basically right away after earning it, as long as you earned it before a certain date IIRC. But I always knew that my earning period was Jan 1-Dec 31. So if I earned status Oct 1, I would get it from Oct 1-Dec 31 then Jan 1-Dec 31 of the following year. But during that 1 calendar year, would be my new qualification period. I've had a hard time keeping track on Asiana where I am in those life cycles because 1) they're so long and 2) they aren't based on calendar years, it's based on anniversary date.

My total mileage since signup May 3, 2017 is 91,841.

If any of the following conditions have been met during the 24-month period from the base date (Base Date* Date of subscription for members who joined Asiana Club on or after October 1, 2008)
  • 1) 30,000 miles accrued on Asiana Airlines and Star Alliance flights
  • 2) 30 flights with Asiana Airlines
  • 3) 30,000 total miles accrued (when Asiana Airlines and Star Alliance flight mileage is over 20,000 and combined with Asiana affiliate card records)
So,

I read that as, my counter resets after hitting the original 40,000 miles back to 0, during my elite period I've clearly gone over the 30,000 miles needed to maintain the status have I not? I earned the elite status and had like 16 months left of the original 24 month period. Then I got another 24 months of status, which adds up to almost 4 years since I signed up. So that makes sense, but having earned over 90,000 miles, all flying (no credit cards or anything like that) should I not have requalified?
If you signed up May 3, 2017, then you'd need 30,000 between May 3, 2019 and May 2, 2021 to requalify.
The period between May 3, 2017 and May 2, 2019 is your initial qualification period. Anything you earn above and beyond 40,000 miles during that period isn't considered for requalification.

Using your example with Air Canada, the Jan 1 - Dec 31 period is simply every 24 month starting from the day you signed up.
If you earned any mileage above and beyond requirements for status during that period, it doesn't "roll-over" to the next period.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
Got this email from Asiana Club when asking about extending my status. Keep in mind that I was able to fly enough to qualify for Diamond in my current evaluation period.

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting Asiana Airlines.

Our headquartershad extended the evaluation period from 24 months to 36 months for Asiana Club member status, for whom cannot upgrade or maintain their member status during 2years evaluation period due to for COVID-19 crisis.

So, this extention does not apply for your case. We ask your considerate understannding.

If you have any questions or need more information, please do not hesitate to address us.
Thank you for your patronage of Asiana Airlines.

Sincerely,

Asiana Club

Regional Headquarters, the Americas

Asiana Airlines

Tel: 1-800-227-4262

Fax: 213-380-1688

email: [email protected]
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:17 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
OZ doesn't do 'rollover' miles and there is no "counter reset" in the middle of a membership period. I think you're getting hung up on the fact that the membership period is in fact a fixed period, despite that it's not based on the calendar year. The explanation by pentiumvi above is accurate.

Last edited by gengar; Apr 22, 2021 at 9:46 am
Old May 4, 2021, 1:45 am

Programs: Diamond Asiana Cub // FF Miles&More // Diamond HHonors
Got extended last week of April for another 6 months (great news thank you !) Hopefully willl be able to make these 1-2 trips needed to reach the threshold. (1200 miles needed to keep the diamond but not sure flying to Korea this summer will be easy with current entry requirements so I guess it will need to be intra european again :/)
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:34 pm

So...I must've earned enough miles to re-qualify, cuz I look at my account now and I'm seeing...

Diamond

I'll be upgraded to diamond plus if I make 88,842 more miles and the date range shows, Jun 1, 2019 - May 31, 2022. So presumably I just need to hit another 30,000 miles by May 31, 2022 which shouldn't be TOO hard as long as this quarantine is lifted in the next little while.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:47 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Sharing this in case I got it wrong, or in case helpful for someone else in similar circumstances.

I have at the moment around 35000miles, and have hit Gold already. My evaluation period expires 31 Aug 2021, so I am basically missing around 5000miles to hit Asiana Diamond. I emailed them to know if they could extend my evaluation period for a bit, as I am not sure if I will be to get those 5000miles between now and 31 August, and their response seems to suggest that this should be indeed possible for my case, albeit by emailing them to forward then to their HQ (?). Still not super clear the below to me.

Thank you for contacting Asiana Airlines Regional Headquarters, the Americas.

We have received your inquiry and would be happy to assist you.

Our headquarters announced that Asiana airlines will extend the evaluation period from 24 months to 30 months for Asiana

Club Elite membership status for whom cannot travel that much due to for COVID-19 crisis maximum up to Jan2022.

Since you already have accumulated 20,000miles to next status Gold , it might not be applied for your account automatically.

It will be applied to your account collectively by our HDQ at the end of your current evaluation periods end.

If you can make enough miles to upgrade to Diamond member status just after your evaluation periods end,

then let us know , we will contact our HDQ to verify your retention period extension at that time.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Hmmm, I'm up at July 2021, and this was always my date. Should I contact them to see why I didn't get extended?
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by elliott44k
Hmmm, I'm up at July 2021, and this was always my date. Should I contact them to see why I didn't get extended?
I'm up in July 2021 as well and have not yet been extended. Curious to hear what they answer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.