Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana Club Status Period Extension due to COVID-19?

Asiana Club Status Period Extension due to COVID-19?

Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:01 am

I can verify that status is still being extended. My status was due to expire today, but when I logged on, it shows an expiration of Feb 28, 2023. Looks like I will not need to bear the indignity of travel without a lounge yet, as long as I can get access with a digital card.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by downinit
I can verify that status is still being extended. My status was due to expire today, but when I logged on, it shows an expiration of Feb 28, 2023. Looks like I will not need to bear the indignity of travel without a lounge yet, as long as I can get access with a digital card.
Was it automatic or did you have to contact them?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Was it automatic or did you have to contact them?
Automatic
Old Mar 22, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: Asiana Club
My evaluation period was expiring on 2022.01.31 and it was NOT extended. Now I see a new evaluation period 2022.02.01 ~ 2024.01.31, with 0 tier miles.

Is it because the extension was this time only granted to Elite Members, and I was Silver only, and only got about half of the mileage required for Gold before the pandemic hit?

Anyone else in such situation?

Anything could be done? I sent them an email at the end of January, before it was about to expire, but no response so far.

Any chance to do anything still?

At least how could I get a new evaluation period when I will fly in May again, so to have it start in May, instead of February and have until 2024.04.30 to collect, not just 2024.01.31, which will greatly increase my chances of reaching 40000 miles by then?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 1:02 pm

Since I am already well on my way to getting *G with TK, I was only paying attention to my status expiration earlier. Now I see that my evaluation period did indeed reset on the website. This doesn't affect me, but my spouse would have made diamond in May if his period was extended, so I am also a bit upset about that. Perhaps this is a technical issue on the website (which is known to have many issues). I guess I will find out in June, once his next trip posts.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by stupidhead
Pretty much.

SQ in PE to BKK twice is probably the cheapest way to earn the 40k miles. I've seen fares out of NYC for ~$1200 depending on dates. NYC-SIN-BKK is a bit over 10k miles each way at a 100% accrual rate. Not sure what the accruals look like if you split the journey on say SQ25/26 with a stopover in Frankfurt. I imagine they would accrue separately which might net you an extra 1k miles each way.
They do not accrue separately because SQ 25/26 carries the same flight number throughout the route, I was saddened to learn this when I tried it
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:39 pm

Since I am already well on my way to getting *G with TK, I was only paying attention to my status expiration earlier. Now I see that my evaluation period did indeed reset on the website. This doesn't affect me, but my spouse would have made diamond in May if his period was extended, so I am also a bit upset about that. Perhaps this is a technical issue on the website (which is known to have many issues). I guess I will find out in June, once his next trip posts.
So are you saying the extension just extends the current status expiration, but the evaluation period does not get extended?

Ie. status extended from March 2022 to March 2023, but the original March 2022-March 2024 evaluation period was unchanged?
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
So are you saying the extension just extends the current status expiration, but the evaluation period does not get extended?

Ie. status extended from March 2022 to March 2023, but the original March 2022-March 2024 evaluation period was unchanged?
I'm confused too and wondering the same thing. And is there any way to tell what the situation is before it happens?

I'm Diamond, with zero miles accrued so far and a requalification date of June 30, 2022, and am trying to decide where to credit miles from an upcoming trip. I realise that I can't count on Asiana as *G for too long, but I quite like the unique redemption opportunities like Etihad and Qatar, so I'm happy to park some miles there rather than my other *A program, NZ (which is a terrible value program but the long haul upgrades are useful to me and I have a banked year of status anyway). But it would be great to know whether I need to worry about maintaining status, in which case I need to credit 30K miles rather than the 20K I have from this upcoming trip alone, or if my status will be preserved and my qualification period will just reset on July 1st.

Has anyone been able to get a clear answer from Asiana regarding what applies to their individual case? I don't really want to just wait until July 1st and hope for the best! On 'My Asiana' it still says qualification period ends 30 June, 2022 but it sounds like that's not necessarily a reliable guide?!

Last edited by mad_atta; Mar 26, 2022 at 8:02 pm
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
I don't know if my case is different, but my eligibility period was until Oct 2021. On Oct 2021, I have received the response below.

Based on that, I suppose that it means the eligibility period is extended by one year, and if you get the remaining miles required to keep your status, you will do so for an additional 2 years. For Diamond, it would be 30K miles.

For your information, my eligibility period did get updated on the website to Oct 2022.

--

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Asiana Airlines.

For the convenience of Asiana Club members who are not able to use Asiana Airlines due to the prolonged Covid-19 impact, we will extend the qualification period by up to one year until 2021.

Therefore, if you are planning to maintain or demote your qualification based on the current eligibility period (2021-10-31), the eligibility period will be extended by an additional year to 2022-10-31.

For your Diamond grade maintenance, you need to accumulate 4,092 boarding mileages in this eligibility period.

If you have other inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thank you for your patronage of Asiana Airlines.

Sincerely,
Asiana Airlines, Asiana Club
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Thanks for sharing that, Gasolin. That aligns with what I was just told by the Asiana US team:

Even if you don't qualify requirements within the period, the system will automatically extend it by one year due to COVID-19.

The above doesn't make it super clear that your *qualification period* as well as your existing status is extended by a year, but based on your response it would seem that's the case.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Gasolin
I don't know if my case is different, but my eligibility period was until Oct 2021. On Oct 2021, I have received the response below
--

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Asiana Airlines.

For the convenience of Asiana Club members who are not able to use Asiana Airlines due to the prolonged Covid-19 impact, we will extend the qualification period by up to one year until 2021.
Therefore, if you are planning to maintain or demote your qualification based on the current eligibility period (2021-10-31), the eligibility period will be extended by an additional year to 2022-10-31.
For your Diamond grade maintenance, you need to accumulate 4,092 boarding mileages in this eligibility period.
The only caveat here is if Asiana decides to make a distinction between the extension offered for 2021 and that offered in 2022. The above quote clearly specifies "until 2021," so it cannot be taken to for granted that the same applies to status expiring in 2022. Hopefully, someone can get a better answer soon. We know that they have decided to extend status until 2023, so one would hope they will extend the qualification period, as well.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond
Good news for those wondering about extensions, my evaluation period was supposed to lapse on March 31 but it appears to have been extended by another year. It was already extended last year; my evaluation base date for my current period is Apr. 1, 2019, and that would have ordinarily lapsed March 31, 2021, but now is good through March 31, 2023. I get to keep my Diamond status (fwiw I was 3650 mi short of requalifying. I don't know if it was extended because I was so close to the requirement, or if they're extending everyone. I didn't receive any communication from Asiana).
miscsyl likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:00 am

Hi all. I have Diamond status originally due to expire May 31 2021. They extended it to May 31 2022. The question I have is will they extend to 2023? I'm some 3k miles short and I'm considering booking a pricey flexi ticket on my next trip just to ensure I get the miles.

I see people have posted email responses from Asiana customer care. How do you contact customer care? I know this sounds silly but all I can find is that useless chatbot but not an email or contact form/
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:48 am

It turns out the only way to contact asiana is switch your website region to either US or Korea.

Asiana's reply is that they'll extend another 12 months for a total of 24 months for me. Will see in a few weeks if the entire evaluation period is extended.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 10:08 am

It seems pretty clear on the website that the evaluation period resets, even though the status is extended by 12 months. This account was only a few thousand miles away from Diamond on 2/28/2022. The Gold expiration date was extended to 2/29/2023, but the upgrade counter has clearly reset.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.