Search

TG ROP compared to Asiana Club

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP
TG ROP compared to Asiana Club

Hi,

After many years being faithful to TG ROP as a Gold member, the last program devaluation led me to start thinking of Asiana FFP.
Although there are quite a lot of information on the web, I did not find any matching advantage with Asiana to some of ROP ones, like GUP 1/2 or "Birthday" half-miles award redemption.

The most interesting being GUP (Gold Upgrade to higher class after some mileage, leading to maximum 2 such upgrades during a 2 year timeframe). For instance, I use one GUP for CDG/BKK/SYD return, upgrading from economy to business class

Do you know if similar advantages do exist with Asiana FFP ?

Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jibolin
After many years being faithful to TG ROP as a Gold member, the last program devaluation led me to start thinking of Asiana FFP.
Although there are quite a lot of information on the web, I did not find any matching advantage with Asiana to some of ROP ones, like GUP 1/2 or "Birthday" half-miles award redemption.

The most interesting being GUP (Gold Upgrade to higher class after some mileage, leading to maximum 2 such upgrades during a 2 year timeframe). For instance, I use one GUP for CDG/BKK/SYD return, upgrading from economy to business class

Do you know if similar advantages do exist with Asiana FFP?
Do you fly Asiana routes?
What do you expect/hope from OZ status (if you can get it)?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Do you fly Asiana routes?
What do you expect/hope from OZ status (if you can get it)?
Expecting at least Diamond level and, if possible, Diamond Plus
Yes, flying mostly CDG to SE Asia and SE Asia to USA or Australia

Thanks
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Expecting at least Diamond level and, if possible, Diamond Plus
Yes, flying mostly CDG to SE Asia and SE Asia to USA or Australia

Thanks
I am relatively unfamiliar with TG ROP. However, if you're looking for upgrades as a primary status benefit, I wouldn't expect much from OZ. It's a very good program for low-stress *G and lounge access. There's nothing formal/official for elites regarding upgrades to seats, except "front zone" economy (which are just economy seats, you guessed it, near the front). I have very little difficulty being offered blocked seats or the extra legroom on my flights when they aren't full (I almost never fly the fullest flights), but there's no consensus on even informal Diamond/Diamond Plus members even getting OP-Ups by status (vs fare bucket), much less guaranteed awards.

Others with more knowledge will no doubt chime in if I am wrong. But my advice to most: join OZ for lounges, extra bags, and priority security where available, the generic *G perks. Those are pretty much all you are guaranteed.
kaffir76 and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Lightbulb Data point

Hi,

The most interesting being GUP (Gold Upgrade to higher class after some mileage, leading to maximum 2 such upgrades during a 2 year time frame). For instance, I use one GUP for CDG/BKK/SYD return, upgrading from economy to business class
Do you know if similar advantages do exist with Asiana FFP ?
Thanks
No, if you value the Gold UPG & 50% off birthday redemptions then stay with TG ROP
It also depends on where you are based - BKK / EUROPE?

To add on to the discussion -
I started with TG ROP in 2013, then I moved to OZ in 2017.
I wasn't trying for SQ KF Gold but thanks to low PEY fares on the ULR routes to the USA, I got it early last year.
I'm now going back to OZ because I value elite status for more than 2 (+1) years, as well as ease of earning & retaining my status
(40,000 to attain *G & 30,000 to renew over a 2 year period)

SQ KF Gold's high requirements (50,000 every year) didn't really work for me, & all that hard work just for a year's benefits
I'll just retain KF SL so I'm able to select seats for free in Economy Lite (K class) bookings

For the same requirements as SQ KF, I could do w/o the hassle of using the GOLD UPG & 50% redemption from TG ROP
(# QR PC offers an easier & cheaper alternative to upgrade to First or Business)

From 2013-2016/17, the Business class (C fares) out of KUL were really low, & that was the incentive to base my work travels from KUL to most anywhere in Asia (+ the annual ski trips to Hokkaido)
However that ended mid-late 2017 & the fares are now beyond ridiculous - more than what I think TG J class is worth
I tried F to LHR last Oct. on an 50% Gold redemption & it really wasn't all that ... the experience on board as well as the J/F lounges in BKK were just all right
I didn't get to fly the other F leg back to BKK as the flight was canceled, & the airport staff & overall experience was terrible.

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I am relatively unfamiliar with TG ROP. However, if you're looking for upgrades as a primary status benefit, I wouldn't expect much from OZ. It's a very good program for low-stress *G and lounge access. There's nothing formal/official for elites regarding upgrades to seats, except "front zone" economy (which are just economy seats, you guessed it, near the front). I have very little difficulty being offered blocked seats or the extra legroom on my flights when they aren't full (I almost never fly the fullest flights), but there's no consensus on even informal Diamond/Diamond Plus members even getting OP-Ups by status (vs fare bucket), much less guaranteed awards.

Others with more knowledge will no doubt chime in if I am wrong. But my advice to most: join OZ for lounges, extra bags, and priority security where available, the generic *G perks. Those are pretty much all you are guaranteed.
+1

I've not yet tried the OZ lounges in ICN, but I will add that to my to do list later this year
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kaffir76
No, if you value the Gold UPG & 50% off birthday redemptions then stay with TG ROP
It also depends on where you are based - BKK / EUROPE?

To add on to the discussion -
I started with TG ROP in 2013, then I moved to OZ in 2017.
I wasn't trying for SQ KF Gold but thanks to low PEY fares on the ULR routes to the USA, I got it early last year.
I'm now going back to OZ because I value elite status for more than 2 (+1) years, as well as ease of earning & retaining my status
(40,000 to attain *G & 30,000 to renew over a 2 year period)

SQ KF Gold's high requirements (50,000 every year) didn't really work for me, & all that hard work just for a year's benefits
I'll just retain KF SL so I'm able to select seats for free in Economy Lite (K class) bookings

For the same requirements as SQ KF, I could do w/o the hassle of using the GOLD UPG & 50% redemption from TG ROP
(# QR PC offers an easier & cheaper alternative to upgrade to First or Business)

From 2013-2016/17, the Business class (C fares) out of KUL were really low, & that was the incentive to base my work travels from KUL to most anywhere in Asia (+ the annual ski trips to Hokkaido)
However that ended mid-late 2017 & the fares are now beyond ridiculous - more than what I think TG J class is worth
I tried F to LHR last Oct. on an 50% Gold redemption & it really wasn't all that ... the experience on board as well as the J/F lounges in BKK were just all right
I didn't get to fly the other F leg back to BKK as the flight was canceled, & the airport staff & overall experience was terrible.

+1

I've not yet tried the OZ lounges in ICN, but I will add that to my to do list later this year
The OZ lounges at ICN are pretty good, but not great, in my limited opinion.

Pros:
  • spacious
  • quiet
  • plenty of seating except at full rush
  • good seats especially the window loungers
  • massage chairs (but only few)
  • real booze, somewhat limited choices
  • pretty clean
Cons:
  • food has recently moved from "C" to "B-" in taste
  • shower (but only like 1 in the east lounge I think)
  • 1 beer, essentially (Kloud in the self-filling machines)
I usually eat at the Matina lounge and then come over to the OZ J and relax. YMMV.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:21 pm

Normally you could find cheaper Biz class on OZ easily, it makes no sense to use the coupon as you need to buy upgradeable economy class plus 50% mileage. The real value of Asiana Club for non-Korean is the lifetime status which is easiest among star. The con is that you could use the mileage for your direct family member and lack of option to use the mileage.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.