Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Upgraded to business on *A flight, miles credited as Econ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

I was extremely fortunate to have been bumped from Economy to Business complementary on a couple of flights recently (SQ + Eva). However, the miles accrued in my Asiana account was reflected as Economy. I tried online retro-claiming the miles, and emailing [email protected] / [email protected] to no avail/response. Am I stuck with mileage accrued on Economy despite being upgraded to Business? Or should I contact Asiana via another channel?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
You are entitled to receive the miles of the class you have paid for, not the one you have flown in. So I guess your chance of claiming those miles is not high.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Feb 11, 2020 at 12:33 am Reason: Spix Felling
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
For operation, mileage and check-in upgrades, you will only get mileage based on your original ticketing class.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
what program or airline gives you the mileage for an op-up?!!
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
Funnily enough, OZ has in fact miscredited me based on the higher class of service during an upgrade before. However, this is definitely not the norm!
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You paid for economy, you got economy miles. Yet again an example of 'no good deed ever goes unpunished.'
prelude and thumbsup7 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chronicrelief
Funnily enough, OZ has in fact miscredited me based on the higher class of service during an upgrade before. However, this is definitely not the norm!
I have seen reports of it on several airlines when the upgrade ends up putting someone in an incorrect fare bucket. But those are the only times.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I have seen reports of it on several airlines when the upgrade ends up putting someone in an incorrect fare bucket. But those are the only times.
I had a UA GPU upgraded flight (PZ bucket) from a W fare that earned P miles recently. Was a pleasant surprise
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:54 pm

You paid for economy, you earned miles for economy, you're not 'stuck' with economy miles despite not having to pay for business class. Even most paid standby/bid upgrades accrue at the original ticketing class. One of the more bizzare requests I've seen on this forum.
thumbsup7 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prelude
You paid for economy, you earned miles for economy, you're not 'stuck' with economy miles despite not having to pay for business class. Even most paid standby/bid upgrades accrue at the original ticketing class. One of the more bizzare requests I've seen on this forum.
Geez I got it! This is new info to me really as I am not a frequent flier and I thought I'd ask in a forum with tons of knowledgeable folks on this matter. You make it sound like it was of malicious or perverse intent.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
Originally Posted by traxtonus
Geez I got it! This is new info to me really as I am not a frequent flier and I thought I'd ask in a forum with tons of knowledgeable folks on this matter. You make it sound like it was of malicious or perverse intent.
Don't sweat it! People here can be pretty judgement sometimes - you asked a perfectly reasonable question.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:49 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
I myself assumed you were a relatively seasoned traveller as SQ are notorious for hardly ever giving op-ups, and only then, usually to those with some level of status.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:27 am

My bad for getting a bit pissy, sometimes it's hard to tell if a question is pure naivety. Well done on getting an op-up, they are getting rarer in this day and age. Generally for mileage, simply what you pay for is what you get.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:56 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
On United, I have done a paid upgrade once and used an RPU another time, both times the ticket reflected as "C" class on OZ but earned regular economy miles.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *G/AC 35K *S/Marriott Bonvoy Platinum/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0
On United, I have done a paid upgrade once and used an RPU another time, both times the ticket reflected as "C" class on OZ but earned regular economy miles.
Did it credit automatically or did you have to submit the missing mileage form to earn mileage? My SAUA with BR did not credit at all and OZ Club will not credit the mileage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.