Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana acquired by HYUNDAI HDC starting with new management

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana acquired by HYUNDAI HDC starting with new management

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:50 pm

Do you reckon another *A airline like TK would so kindly provide a status match for all of us floundering *G Asiana members? Also, will Asiana Club suddenly cease to exist and all our accrued miles + memberships be gone without a trace? In the event that this does occur, what will happen to any flights already booked with Asiana miles? Say I have a flight in Oct-2021 which I used Asiana miles to book, but Asiana Club goes kaput in Jun-2021, does that mean my Oct-2021 flight is no longer valid? Are there any previous case studies of similar dissolved airline status memberships for reference?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
There's no legal battle here with government intervention. No antitrust available against the big groups in Korea.
The other side includes the sister of the Cho family, who made a plane turn back because some peanuts were not "peeled". I think she will be furious!
Well whatever, let's see how it goes.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by traxtonus
Do you reckon another *A airline like TK would so kindly provide a status match for all of us floundering *G Asiana members? Also, will Asiana Club suddenly cease to exist and all our accrued miles + memberships be gone without a trace? In the event that this does occur, what will happen to any flights already booked with Asiana miles? Say I have a flight in Oct-2021 which I used Asiana miles to book, but Asiana Club goes kaput in Jun-2021, does that mean my Oct-2021 flight is no longer valid? Are there any previous case studies of similar dissolved airline status memberships for reference?
This is a merger, not the airlines disappearing per se. Your miles balances will be transferred with a certain ratio (and if the government does its job correctly, it will be a 1:1 ratio, which will drive KE members mad, literally). Otherwise it could be a 1:0.8 ratio.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
500k miles for LT status with OZ is pretty generous, but I suspect a lot of people here are not that close to achieving it. I'm not even sure I can fly 100k miles in 2021 given the current international entry restrictions. Assuming the vaccine becomes broadly available by Q2 2021, I don't expect countries around the world to open up their borders until the summer at the earliest. It still doesn't leave a lot of time to chase LT status.
Indeed, I think I am around 270K so nothing to see for me.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 12:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Beginning to look like a second failure for lifetime *G for me. I missed out on SQ lifetime PPS when they stopped offering it about a year or two before I would have reached the milestone. I do have OZ platinum (i.e. lifetime *G) but will obviously lose lifetime *G when OZ drops out of *A or is folded into KE (whichever occurs first).
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
This is a merger. Asiana isn't going bankrupt so what you mentioned is not going to happen.

I highly doubt Turkish Airlines will be offering status match for members base in Seoul. Chances will be higher for those airlines based around East Asia, and may not just be Star Alliance airlines. One can reasonably expect maybe Air China or ANA to lend a hand, but under the current pandemic situation it's better to assume no one will status match someone who is not based in the location they actively serve.

What you may expect is Korean Air match the corresponding status base on what they are updating in 2022. I don't think they will match to Morning Calm cause it makes unnecessary complexities. The new program will feature Silver (10k), Gold (40k), Platinum (70k) and Diamond (100k) while discontinuing life time million status.

You can reasonably expect Korean Air will match:
- Asiana Gold to Korean Air Silver
- Asiana Diamond to Korean Air Silver or Gold
- Asiana Diamond+ to Korean Air Gold or Platinum
- Asiana Platinum to Korean Air Million Miler (under the old program) or Diamond (under the new program)

It's probably easier that they just match Diamond to Gold and Diamond+ to Platinum for the first year and then you will need to qualify under the new 40k and 70k rule for the following year.

Any flights already booked under Asiana should be honored as Asiana is still in operation. When Asiana cease to operate, the ticket will either be honored by Korean Air or Asiana will return the $ or miles. I am quite certain Korean Air will give Asiana members a timeline on what will happen and what to do. They likely will also set a deadline on when is the last date to issue award tickets or upgrades. If your booking is made with another star alliance member then they will need to take care of you when Asiana disappears, not Korean Air.

It's unlikely Korean Air will make Asiana miles disappear, but they may discount them (like 1.5 Asiana Club miles to 1 Korean Air SKYPASS miles). Though I think the new SKYPASS program is already a significant downgrade I don't see them needing to devalue Asiana Club miles more.

Most things are too early to tell at this time. I would use up the miles if I can find an award and an allowed to travel.

Originally Posted by Gasolin
The other side includes the sister of the Cho family, who made a plane turn back because some peanuts were not "peeled". I think she will be furious!
Well whatever, let's see how it goes.
KDB is also lending money to Hanjin so I doubt they will oppose to what KDB is doing.
traxtonus likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Beginning to look like a second failure for lifetime *G for me. I missed out on SQ lifetime PPS when they stopped offering it about a year or two before I would have reached the milestone. I do have OZ platinum (i.e. lifetime *G) but will obviously lose lifetime *G when OZ drops out of *A or is folded into KE (whichever occurs first).
Ouch...must be painful to be burned twice. I recently joined OZ and have achieved *G for now. Sad that it'll all be gone very soon. TK needs to offer LT *G status for me to be interested in their program.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 1:24 am

This is a merger. Asiana isn't going bankrupt so what you mentioned is not going to happen.

I highly doubt Turkish Airlines will be offering status match for members base in Seoul. Chances will be higher for those airlines based around East Asia, and may not just be Star Alliance airlines. One can reasonably expect maybe Air China or ANA to lend a hand, but under the current pandemic situation it's better to assume no one will status match someone who is not based in the location they actively serve.

What you may expect is Korean Air match the corresponding status base on what they are updating in 2022. I don't think they will match to Morning Calm cause it makes unnecessary complexities. The new program will feature Silver (10k), Gold (40k), Platinum (70k) and Diamond (100k) while discontinuing life time million status.

- Asiana Platinum to Korean Air Million Miler (under the old program) or Diamond (under the new program)

It's probably easier that they just match Diamond to Gold and Diamond+ to Platinum for the first year and then you will need to qualify under the new 40k and 70k rule for the following year.

Any flights already booked under Asiana should be honored as Asiana is still in operation. When Asiana cease to operate, the ticket will either be honored by Korean Air or Asiana will return the $ or miles. I am quite certain Korean Air will give Asiana members a timeline on what will happen and what to do. They likely will also set a deadline on when is the last date to issue award tickets or upgrades. If your booking is made with another star alliance member then they will need to take care of you when Asiana disappears, not Korean Air.

It's unlikely Korean Air will make Asiana miles disappear, but they may discount them (like 1.5 Asiana Club miles to 1 Korean Air SKYPASS miles). Though I think the new SKYPASS program is already a significant downgrade I don't see them needing to devalue Asiana Club miles more.

Most things are too early to tell at this time. I would use up the miles if I can find an award and an allowed to travel.

KDB is also lending money to Hanjin so I doubt they will oppose to what KDB is doing.
Agree with most of it, though I think the management dispute will make this much more complicated.
I think what's most likely is Diamond to match Gold, Diamond+ to match Platinum.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Deleted
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:57 am

Noted, thanks for the detailed response! I want to stay within the *A network and will likely consider clocking my miles to TK moving forward. Is it possible to collect miles on another *A membership and still be able to access a *A lounge using my Asiana Club card for the same flight segment? It would be great to double-dip and post miles to TK whilst enjoying lounge access, but this seems unlikely?

Last edited by traxtonus; Nov 18, 2020 at 1:39 am
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Noted, thanks for the detailed response! I want to stay within the *A network and will likely consider clocking my miles to TK moving forward. Is it possible to collect miles on another *A membership and still be able to access a *A lounge using my Asiana Club card for the same flight segment? It would be great to double-dip and post miles to TK whilst enjoying lounge access, but this seems unlikely?
I doubt it.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Is it possible to collect miles on another *A membership and still be able to access a *A lounge using my Asiana Club card for the same flight segment? It would be great to double-dip and post miles to TK whilst enjoying lounge access, but this seems unlikely?
It's fiddly and varies by airline. It's usually some variation of swapping the mileage numbers back and forth between booking and entering the lounge. A rare few still allow split FQTV (earning program) and FQTS (status entitlement program) fields internally, which goes quicker- add your TK number when booking, present your OZ card at the lounge and they'd be able to add it separately solely for the lounge access entitlement.

I've done this a few times (back when A3 changed its rules, so I started transitioning to OZ) so I know it's definitely possible.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jamar
It's fiddly and varies by airline. It's usually some variation of swapping the mileage numbers back and forth between booking and entering the lounge. A rare few still allow split FQTV (earning program) and FQTS (status entitlement program) fields internally, which goes quicker- add your TK number when booking, present your OZ card at the lounge and they'd be able to add it separately solely for the lounge access entitlement.

I've done this a few times (back when A3 changed its rules, so I started transitioning to OZ) so I know it's definitely possible.
I’ve never had an issue at a variety of lounges (including contract lounges) in the US and Europe presenting my UA 1K card even though the ticket is using my OZ number.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:55 am

I am very glad I was able to get an OZ Diamond card last year, which should be good enough for access to some lounges. Hopefully the program will stay intact for a few more months, as it will take quite a while to get 40k miles when most destinations are shut down.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 3:26 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I’ve never had an issue at a variety of lounges (including contract lounges) in the US and Europe presenting my UA 1K card even though the ticket is using my OZ number.
I mean, every time I've done it I've ultimately gotten in, but it's definitely confused staff before, specifically at the NH lounge in HND, CA lounge in SHA (international terminal), and BR lounge in TPE. All of those times the person at the desk had to go get someone else to make it happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.