Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana acquired by HYUNDAI HDC starting with new management

Asiana acquired by HYUNDAI HDC starting with new management

Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lsquare
It's definitely going to be a terrible outcome for the rest of us. After all, we've invested time and money into the program. However, OZ have been losing money for a while. Seems like even the government is losing the will to maintain two airlines in the country. KE will have a monopoly if​​​​​​ it's gone.
I think TK is the next easiest *A program to join? Sucks that I might lose all of the miles I have earned with OZ.
​​I'm starting to think if I should give up on OZ and credit my *A flights to another​​​​​​ airline.
I am worried that I'll end up sinking more time and money into a sinking company. I believe any merger will just pull OZ into ST. I'm already crediting all of my ST flights to DL. I don't really want to be in KE's program. I'm really praying someone else will step in and save OZ.
Ouch...this is going to hurt. So sad that my effort in OZ will go to waste. I don't know if I should transfer some of my Bonvoy points to ensure I'll have enough for a redemption or just wait for merger to complete and redeem once it's all KE?
Originally Posted by Anson.tzy
Which FFP are you guys thinking of transferring to? I was aiming for lifetime on Asiana, but looks like I have to pivot now
Undoubtedly many people were enticed by the prospect of earning Lifetime Diamond Plus (*G) after 500,000 miles on *A flights or taking 500 OZ flights.

Yet KE also offers Lifetime Morning Calm Premium (ST E+) @ 500k miles on any SkyTeam flights.

Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary

I wonder if KE will "grandfather" the lifetime elites of OZ. As for those not yet there, there may be many disappointments, similar to what happened with the Marriott Bonv°y Lifetime Titanium Elite fiasco. It depends upon how generous KE chooses to be in recognizing accrued *A miles on OZ.

Disregarding the prospect of lifetime status difficulties, the "good news" is that ultimately, OZ miles are likely to be transmuted to KE miles for ongoing use within that program.

How you react to that is up to you. People on Saipan will miss the OZ flights, and hope that KE resumes ICN-SPN service once Covid-19 has been resolved.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 1:59 pm

Which FFP are you guys thinking of transferring to? I was aiming for lifetime on Asiana, but looks like I have to pivot now
As a leisure traveler without a trust fund or a portfolio, TK seems to be the only viable option for me to ever regain and retain *G. There is no way I will ever be able to meet the mileage requirements of many of the *A airlines, and at least TK gives you two years to qualify. The biggest problem with TK is that connecting anywhere in the EU from LAX requires overnight layovers in IST on both ends, and the new airport is way out in BFE. Aegean, and Greece in general, seem too unpredictable, and I will definitely not be making annual trips to Greece just to meet the lower mileage threshold. Unfortunately, any dreams of lifetime status went out the window for me. I am definitely not going anywhere near the wretched programs of UA or LH, as I do not travel for business and do not have an expense account to pay for my travel. I don't really care about mileage redemption, but *G definitely comes in handy, since almost all of my travel is in Y or PE.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 2:01 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Isn't the government onboard with the deal? If so, then I think this is a done deal. I probably should have saw this coming and switched programs. I think OZ have been in trouble for some time.
Wow. The linked article certainly makes it sound like a done deal. I guess I will need to see what KE would do with regards to existing miles and status. It looks like the decision will be made for me. Maybe if I get to retain some status with KE, I can use that to match to one of the *A members.

LAX
SPN Lifer, lsquare and zeer0 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
That was my goal as well. I wonder what KE is going to do with LT OZ members? Furthermore, for the ones that didn't made LT status, all that effort was for nothing.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
Wow. The linked article certainly makes it sound like a done deal. I guess I will need to see what KE would do with regards to existing miles and status. It looks like the decision will be made for me. Maybe if I get to retain some status with KE, I can use that to match to one of the *A members.

LAX
We probably won't know what KE's plan will be until 2021 or when the merger is complete. I doubt it'll be lucrative for us. I'm just pissed off that all of my effort in terms of money and time will be for nothing. Now I'll have to start all over with another program. I definitely gotta do a better job picking an airline with better odds of surviving.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by downinit
As a leisure traveler without a trust fund or a portfolio, TK seems to be the only viable option for me to ever regain and retain *G. There is no way I will ever be able to meet the mileage requirements of many of the *A airlines, and at least TK gives you two years to qualify. The biggest problem with TK is that connecting anywhere in the EU from LAX requires overnight layovers in IST on both ends, and the new airport is way out in BFE. Aegean, and Greece in general, seem too unpredictable, and I will definitely not be making annual trips to Greece just to meet the lower mileage threshold. Unfortunately, any dreams of lifetime status went out the window for me. I am definitely not going anywhere near the wretched programs of UA or LH, as I do not travel for business and do not have an expense account to pay for my travel. I don't really care about mileage redemption, but *G definitely comes in handy, since almost all of my travel is in Y or PE.
I'm in a similar situation as you. I don't know enough about TK. Do they have a LT program? I also don't care about mile redemption as much as *G.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by downinit
As a leisure traveler without a trust fund or a portfolio, TK seems to be the only viable option for me to ever regain and retain *G. There is no way I will ever be able to meet the mileage requirements of many of the *A airlines, and at least TK gives you two years to qualify.
TK *G qualification period is one year only, not two. Requirement is 40k in one year. Once you qualify, the validity is for 2 years.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:07 pm

I'm in a similar situation as you. I don't know enough about TK. Do they have a LT program? I also don't care about mile redemption as much as *G.
No lifetime status right for TK right now. Apparently, they just started showing the lifetime mileage in the online accounts fairly recently, so it was possible that they may have been considering rolling out a program before Covid shut everything down. I doubt we will ever see another airline offering lifetime status for anywhere near as low as OZ. Some airlines require the miles to be exclusively on their own flights, and others seem to keep raising the bar for qualification.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Undoubtedly many people were enticed by the prospect of earning Lifetime Diamond Plus (*G) after 500,000 miles on *A flights or taking 500 OZ flights.

Yet KE also offers Lifetime Morning Calm Premium (ST E+) @ 500k miles on any SkyTeam flights.

Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary

I wonder if KE will "grandfather" the lifetime elites of OZ. As for those not yet there, there may be many disappointments, similar to what happened with the Marriott Bonv°y Lifetime Titanium Elite fiasco. It depends upon how generous KE chooses to be in recognizing accrued *A miles on OZ.

Disregarding the prospect of lifetime status difficulties, the "good news" is that ultimately, OZ miles are likely to be transmuted to KE miles for ongoing use within that program.

How you react to that is up to you. People on Saipan will miss the OZ flights, and hope that KE resumes ICN-SPN service once Covid-19 has been resolved.
Didn't KE state they were eliminating lifetime status in 2022? So yeah, no: lifetime OZ Diamond is done if KE absorbs them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Didn't KE state they were eliminating lifetime status in 2022? So yeah, no: lifetime OZ Diamond is done if KE absorbs them.
Source?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
Source?
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...-flyer-changes
Under the current system, the SkyTeam Elite Plus frequent flyer tiers in Skypass can only be earned on a lifetime basis after a serious amount of travel: at least 500,000 miles flown with Korean Air and its partners.
These tiers – Morning Calm Premium Club (at 500,000 miles), and Million Miler Club (predictably at 1,000,000), will both close to new members from January 31 2022, from which point, Korean Air will no longer grant lifetime frequent flyer status.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 7:51 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
We probably won't know what KE's plan will be until 2021 or when the merger is complete. I doubt it'll be lucrative for us. I'm just pissed off that all of my effort in terms of money and time will be for nothing. Now I'll have to start all over with another program. I definitely gotta do a better job picking an airline with better odds of surviving.
It's a balancing act, IMHO. Airlines that have strong finances tend to have a stingy FFP, so it might not be an attractive option.

LAX
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
It's a balancing act, IMHO. Airlines that have strong finances tend to have a stingy FFP, so it might not be an attractive option.

LAX
I agree, but we could find ourselves in the same situation the next time there's a recession or a pandemic. The former seems to happen once every decade. Everything I've invested into OZ, at least at this point in time, seems like it'll all be for nothing.

With no viable competition in Korea, KE won't have much incentives to improve their program. I think the news said they'll control nearly 60% if US-Korea flights? That's insane.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I think existing Asiana Lifetime members may have a case on getting their lifetime status recognized by Korean Air, but doesn’t mean KE will grant it especially when you base on Seoul and have no other choice.

As for those who have yet to reach lifetime status, you have 2021 to do some runs or say goodbye to the goal. KE is slashing lifetime to its own members and there’s no chance they will extend these to OZ members.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I think existing Asiana Lifetime members may have a case on getting their lifetime status recognized by Korean Air, but doesn’t mean KE will grant it especially when you base on Seoul and have no other choice.

As for those who have yet to reach lifetime status, you have 2021 to do some runs or say goodbye to the goal. KE is slashing lifetime to its own members and there’s no chance they will extend these to OZ members.
500k miles for LT status with OZ is pretty generous, but I suspect a lot of people here are not that close to achieving it. I'm not even sure I can fly 100k miles in 2021 given the current international entry restrictions. Assuming the vaccine becomes broadly available by Q2 2021, I don't expect countries around the world to open up their borders until the summer at the earliest. It still doesn't leave a lot of time to chase LT status.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.