Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

When will Asiana follow suit from Korean

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, AS MVPG 100K

Just saw the following and am wondering when Asiana will follow suit:

https://www.koreanair.com/content/ko...2_SKYPASS.html
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
  • More inclusive elite membership program with four membership levels and lower qualification requirements to be introduced from February 2022.
Ah, I am not a big fan of that as it could render qualifications more difficult for *G but let's see.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
It will probably be the end of 70% earning on discount Y...one hopes they'll at least add a PE fare class so you can earn 100% on a reasonable fare. Also probably the end of the 50k F US-Europe award.

I'm interested to see what they'll do for status because when KE changed their levels a few years ago, OZ actually dropped the requirements for Diamond to match what KE had for Skyteam Elite.....KE is changing to give Skyteam elite at 10k/year.....can Asiana afford to give Diamond at 10k/year? Or maybe they will all keep it the same since *G is move valuable than Skyteam Elite and the new leadership at Asiana doesn't seem too keen on making radical changes quickly like Delta is.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:24 pm

10K a year, despite all changes in the redemption rate, would be a bit ridiculous for Diamond.
It would make me very happy though!

Maybe OZ doesn't change a thing because you do not know if what KE does is really useful.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636
It will probably be the end of 70% earning on discount Y...one hopes they'll at least add a PE fare class so you can earn 100% on a reasonable fare. Also probably the end of the 50k F US-Europe award.

I'm interested to see what they'll do for status because when KE changed their levels a few years ago, OZ actually dropped the requirements for Diamond to match what KE had for Skyteam Elite.....KE is changing to give Skyteam elite at 10k/year.....can Asiana afford to give Diamond at 10k/year? Or maybe they will all keep it the same since *G is move valuable than Skyteam Elite and the new leadership at Asiana doesn't seem too keen on making radical changes quickly like Delta is.
"Elite" doesn't have to mean "Diamond" equivalent; they are introducing a new tier and changing the current ones. And given the changes Korean is making, I am 100% sure that new 10K level is the weakest, barely useful status available. Most of us are aware that Korean's elite levels make no sense.

That said, you already earn "elite status" at 10K/year with OZ. The fact that most of us on FT don't care about Gold doesn't mean OZ doesn't tout it as an elite level. So that's KA mimicking OZ, not the other way around.

I think what's being overlooked is the time period. Korean provides 2 year windows for status, but notice the press release speaks in terms of "per year." Expect that to mean the qualification window shortens to annual renewal, whether the mile requirements "per year" change or not.

Given all that OZ has going on, I would expect them to match this some time after Korean rolls it out completely, to watch for any issues. There's no real reason for them to now try to beat Korean to the punch for a new FFP layout, if the new ownership was even considering that (I don't think they were). So in a not-terrible world, I'd expect OZ to match maybe 2023 at the earliest. That doesn't mean other tweaks might not come first.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:28 pm

Actually should have dug up the full info before typing. Details are here.
  • As I expected: new "elite" tier (Silver) is standard low status tier, and matches SKyTeam Elite (no lounge access). 1 KA lounge pass, +1 free bag, priority seating access, priority baggage.
  • Also as expected: welcome to annual renewal, at 40K miles/yr for lounge access (SkyTeam Elite Plus). That starts 1/1/21 But it looks like status earned under current rules will be good only until 1/31/22. Thus, if you earn status in December 2020, you're getting only 13 months instead of 24. They may be killing lifetime, though I would be they just haven't noted the updated requirements.
Doesn't change my thoughts that OZ probably wouldn't change drastically until 1 year after KA at earliest.

Last edited by SightseeMC; Dec 13, 2019 at 4:38 pm
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Actually should have dug up the full info before typing. Details are here.
  • As I expected: new "elite" tier (Silver) is standard low status tier, and matches SKyTeam Elite (no lounge access). 1 lounge pass, +1 free bag, priority seating access, priority baggage
  • Also as expected: welcome to annual renewal, at 40K miles/yr for lounge access (SkyTeam Elite Plus). that starts 1/1/21 But it looks like status earned under current rules will be good only until 1/31/22. Thus, if you earn status in December 2020, you're getting only 13 months instead of 24. They may be killing lifetime, though I would be they just haven't noted the updated requirements.
Doesn't change my thoughts that OZ probably wouldn't change drastically until 1 year after KA at earliest.
Their Silver tier is actually pretty good for 10k/year unless the mileage earning is really low or there is a yet unannounced revenue requirement; Garuda Indonesia's 10k status is a true example of a bare-bones status level that doesn't even include any alliance-wide benefits. To get priority seating, SkyPriority access for checkin, security, boarding, standby, and baggage. and extra baggage allowance SkyTeam-wide for 10k a year is really generous imo.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that under Korean Air's old system, Morning Calm, which was only SkyTeam Elite, and required 40k in 2 years, 30k in 2 years for renewal, and Asiana made this the qualification requirement for Diamond. Then they had a lower level Gold with lower requirements than Korean's old lowest status, which Korean just copied with their new Silver status. If Asiana previously matched ST Elite with *G, they might do the same now. If Asiana changed to have the same requirements as Korean Air and offer only *S for their lowest status level, probably no one at least in Korea would use their program because Star Alliance Silver has basically no benefits, and Asiana's weaker route network means that they rely on *A partners more than KE, so they can't really just offer ST Elite benefits only on Asiana and *S on other *A carriers. If I were Asiana, I'd keep things as is.
Gasolin, zeer0 and SightseeMC like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:57 pm

Their Silver tier is actually pretty good for 10k/year unless the mileage earning is really low or there is a yet unannounced revenue requirement; Garuda Indonesia's 10k status is a true example of a bare-bones status level that doesn't even include any alliance-wide benefits. To get priority seating, SkyPriority access for checkin, security, boarding, standby, and baggage. and extra baggage allowance SkyTeam-wide for 10k a year is really generous imo.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that under Korean Air's old system, Morning Calm, which was only SkyTeam Elite, and required 40k in 2 years, 30k in 2 years for renewal, and Asiana made this the qualification requirement for Diamond. Then they had a lower level Gold with lower requirements than Korean's old lowest status, which Korean just copied with their new Silver status. If Asiana previously matched ST Elite with *G, they might do the same now. If Asiana changed to have the same requirements as Korean Air and offer only *S for their lowest status level, probably no one at least in Korea would use their program because Star Alliance Silver has basically no benefits, and Asiana's weaker route network means that they rely on *A partners more than KE, so they can't really just offer ST Elite benefits only on Asiana and *S on other *A carriers. If I were Asiana, I'd keep things as is.
The big concern does indeed seem to be lower mileage earning for discount economy. I know jack about their fare codes, but checking the SkyPass forum and looking at the info on changes seems to show that pretty much all discount Y goes to 50% or lower, specifically what looks like their equivalent of OZ's V and W. Going from 100% (S) and 70% (V,W) to 50% and 25% would be brutal for many of us here flying full time on OZ but on our own dime.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ithacxa
Just saw the following and am wondering when Asiana will follow suit:

https://www.koreanair.com/content/ko...2_SKYPASS.html
Don't see how OZ can follow suit when the notice practically says nothing.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
Don't see how OZ can follow suit when the notice practically says nothing.
More detail at link in comment #6 .
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
More detail at link in comment #6 .
Thanks. But my comment stands - don't see how OZ can follow suit.

At the minimum, if the KL new changes are indeed good changes. Why the wait?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:51 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I read the news release in the OP and thought "meh," nothing much to get excited about. Then I read Lucky's OMAAT post that distilled part of the issue with the change:

Ouch! In other words:
  • A one-way ticket from the US to Korea increases in cost from 80,000 miles to 120,000-135,000 miles
  • A one-way ticket from the US to Bangkok increases in cost from 95,000 miles to 187,500-195,000 miles
(That's for First Class award travel.) That's quite a change.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Since KE is getting rid of their MM programs (Morning Calm Premium @ 500K and MM @ 1mil) other than those grandfathered in, it would be a shame if OZ did too..
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:10 am

That could mean that OZ could follow with 40k miles requirement for a year, that would not be great as it makes it 80k with 50% in North America.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Pretty disappointing news, but with almost all programs devaluing in some ways, I wouldn't be surprised if OZ follow suit. I'm still fairly new to OZ so I'm no where close to LT status. I would love to get before they consider eliminating it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.