Search

OZ578 to DMZ tour in 3 hours?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
OZ578 to DMZ tour in 3 hours?

Hi all

My fiance and I are flying into ICN on OZ578, which arrives at 7:50am on a Saturday morning from Almaty. We really want to do a DMZ tour since this was an absolute highlight of my only previous visit to Korea 10 years ago. However, we depart Seoul on the Monday evening and it seems every DMZ tour which includes the JSA doesn't operate on Sundays or Mondays. We have no options to get into Seoul any earlier, so Saturday is our only option.

I found one DMZ tour which departs the Koreana Hotel at 11:00am on the Saturday but I'm not sure whether to book it or not. Assuming the flight is on time, do we have any chance of making it onto this tour? Google maps shows just over 1 hour to get from ICN to the hotel, however, we are not familiar with ICN. If it is relevant, we are both Canadian citizens and will be flying business class.

Thanks in advance for anybody who can help. The 1:15 turn in Almaty for the inbound flight also doesn't inspire me with confidence.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:04 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

I'd say if the plane lands on time you could get to the Koreana (the one near Gwanghwamun Plaza) by 11:00am. Whether it does is a different story..... And there are always so many things that could hold you up at the airport and/or en route. I'd take the train to Seoul Station, and subway or taxi it from there. I haven't done the tour in years, but I remember it being pretty strict about reservations/refunds and such. If it's worth the risk of missing it and losing $$, you could try....
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:35 pm

Did you check Koridoor? I've not been on the tour for about four years, and I went on the full tour; my take would be, if it doesn't include the JSA, it's not worth the trouble. Looks about the same as I recall, except no visible Norks. I had heard that after relations thawed a bit, it wasn't as good as it used to be.

Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
That's TOO risky honestly....mostly because any delay and error - will mean you will be late and can't get a refund. And that's kind of a lot of money to lose at the last second (around 180$).

In a perfect world - land 7:50, off the plane and immigration by 8:50, take a taxi (easier and just right outside the door) - plan for traffic 9:50....

There is no fast track at ICN for biz class.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
....take a taxi (easier and just right outside the door) - plan for traffic 9:50....
One hour to Jongno, and that's planning for traffic? You have more faith than I, my friend!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Paella747
One hour to Jongno, and that's planning for traffic? You have more faith than I, my friend!
To be fair - a perfect world (but also generally I advise an hour from airport to Seoul for most visitors as habit)......but yeah definitely could be more. The last time I landed at ICN at 7:30 on a weekday, I didn't get home to Gangnam til almost 10 AM...and I have auto gate clearance and Morning Calm bags out first.....two hours on that bus whew.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
To be fair - a perfect world (but also generally I advise an hour from airport to Seoul for most visitors as habit)......but yeah definitely could be more. The last time I landed at ICN at 7:30 on a weekday, I didn't get home to Gangnam til almost 10 AM...and I have auto gate clearance and Morning Calm bags out first.....two hours on that bus whew.
^
And Gangnam is a bit more "direct" from the airport than Jongno, which is why I recommended the train to Seoul Station. Yes, walking to the station at ICN is a bit of a pain, but at least the train would cut out the potential traffic around the Han. And Seoul Station isn't terribly far from the Koreana.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.