Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Catering ex-ICN in C has Improved

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Catering ex-ICN in C has Improved

Looks like the food in C ex-ICN has improved. I returned home yesterday in C, and the menu was back to 3 Western options, and 1 Korean option that it was before the debacle late last year. It's not exactly the same, as it's a simplified menu - entree, soup, main, cheese, dessert. What's gone is the canapés offered before the entree. The second meal (breakfast) had 2 western options and 1 Korean option.

For dinner, I had the steak, and it was pretty similar to how I remembered them in C before the change last year.

Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the menu.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Long haul flight I assume?

I agree, the catering now is more or less the same as it was before changing to Gate Gourmet Korea for flights ex-ICN.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:59 pm

Ex-LAX Catering last week:

Asiana menu page 1

Asiana menu page 2

Asiana menu page 3

Turnip roll, Mrs. Zippy said it was good.

Main course, "meh..."

Fruit plate, etc.

No breakfast pics, forgot...
Old May 5, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Once is enough for the bibimbap; I will never understand what is so attractive about their iteration of that dish (most restaurants worth your money on the ground do it better, especially the “stone bowl” types)
Old May 5, 2019, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
for me, I find it ironic that bibimbap, which was originally for the lower class of Korean society, is now served in premium cabins as if it were representative of classic "Korean Cuisine", as the menu refers to it. Bibimbap traditionally was the left over side dishes from the table of the upper class mixed into a bowl of rice that the servants ate...hardly what you'd call "cuisine"! :P
Old May 6, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Once is enough for the bibimbap; I will never understand what is so attractive about their iteration of that dish (most restaurants worth your money on the ground do it better, especially the “stone bowl” types)
Since most airline dishes in Y/C tend to be drowned in sauces and/or butter (and I'm not into big chunks of steak), I'll always find steamed rice, an array of fresh veggies, ground marinated meat, and a kick of gojujang an ideal airline meal. I've always felt that bibimbab tastes less "processed" than other airline meals. Filling, but not heavy.... Of course that's just me.... Dolsot or not, it's good....

And as for it being "leftover" cuisine, some of the finest food in the world was born of necessity. A lot of those expensive French meals that people pay big bucks for now in Paris were once considered peasant country food.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by sol95
for me, I find it ironic that bibimbap, which was originally for the lower class of Korean society, is now served in premium cabins as if it were representative of classic "Korean Cuisine", as the menu refers to it. Bibimbap traditionally was the left over side dishes from the table of the upper class mixed into a bowl of rice that the servants ate...hardly what you'd call "cuisine"! :P
How is that weird? Some of the most accomplished Koreans I know LOVE Budae Jigae which basically is a soup made of left over stuff gathered by army troops. Way lower down the social pole than even bibimbap.

Would it be weird to call a good quality beef burger typical American cuisine? No.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paella747
Since most airline dishes in Y/C tend to be drowned in sauces and/or butter (and I'm not into big chunks of steak), I'll always find steamed rice, an array of fresh veggies, ground marinated meat, and a kick of gojujang an ideal airline meal. I've always felt that bibimbab tastes less "processed" than other airline meals. Filling, but not heavy.... Of course that's just me.... Dolsot or not, it's good....

And as for it being "leftover" cuisine, some of the finest food in the world was born of necessity. A lot of those expensive French meals that people pay big bucks for now in Paris were once considered peasant country food.
Yes, but no one pays big bucks for bibimbap.

Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
How is that weird? Some of the most accomplished Koreans I know LOVE Budae Jigae which basically is a soup made of left over stuff gathered by army troops. Way lower down the social pole than even bibimbap.

Would it be weird to call a good quality beef burger typical American cuisine? No.
I never said it was "weird". I said it was "ironic".
in case you weren't aware, something can be "ironic" without being "weird" (like bibimbap being offered in premium cabins, despite its humble beginnings), and somethings can be "weird" without being "ironic" (such as you assuming that "ironic" means "weird"), so don't read your bias into my post. I love budajjigae too, as well as bibimbap, just like a lot of people, many of whom are accomplished, both Korean and otherwise. That doesn't lessen the irony.

And yes, burgers in the United Polaris lounge is ironic too. I'll most likely eat one the next time I'm in a Polaris lounge, but it doesn't cancel out the irony.

Last edited by sol95; May 6, 2019 at 8:36 am
Old May 6, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
I suppose it comes down to the fact that Korean food is not that refined most of the time, unless you were at the king's table...
But it is a really good food to eat with drinks for me!
And usually, it's pretty healthy and balanced.
Paella747 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Asia Live. Intercontinental COEX. 50,000W dolsot bibimbap. 42,000W kimchi jjigae. I've been there several times for a business meeting. It's WILD haha. WILD. (And totally normal presentation...tasted good though!)
Old May 6, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Asia Live. Intercontinental COEX. 50,000W dolsot bibimbap. 42,000W kimchi jjigae. I've been there several times for a business meeting. It's WILD haha. WILD. (And totally normal presentation...tasted good though!)
Yeah, but that’s Dolsot. I would happily pay a 400 percent premium to burn my rice in a hot stone bowl.

Dolsot on a plane never gonna happen.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
LOL

The usual mark-ups at hotels! Although, you could argue that W50,000 isn’t big bucks for those in the coex area.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Talking

Depends on where you go.
And just because it may be cheaper ŕ terre doesn't mean it's not ideal as a premium cabin option (as long as it comes with the proper array of ban-chan sidies).
Not saying KE and OZ couldn't switch it up from time to time with their 'Rean meal choice, but stray too far from those bibimbap ingredients, and you're gonna scare some westerners.... If I had my way, I'd be eating grilled eel (with sides) and seafood ttoekpoekki on every flight....
Old May 8, 2019, 1:47 pm

I am also sick and tired of the bibimbap.
Why on earth do the two Korean Airlines (OZ and KE) never change their Korean entrees?
It's always bibimbap bibimbap bibimbap...in all 3 classes (Y/J/F)...OMG enough!
slimjin likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agjil
I am also sick and tired of the bibimbap.
Why on earth do the two Korean Airlines (OZ and KE) never change their Korean entrees?
It's always bibimbap bibimbap bibimbap...in all 3 classes (Y/J/F)...OMG enough!
I hear you!

But to be fair, ex-ICN, the Korean meal on OZ is usually ssambap, not bibimbap
Paella747 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.