Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Need help understanding how to achieve *G with Asiana

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help understanding how to achieve *G with Asiana

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by paperwastage
your choice... note, its 10k each way = 20k round trip

and fare only allows max 144hour stopover in PEK each way

if you're doing a $2k mileage run to SIN just to get *G, it's a waste of money (for the benefits you get)

if you wanted a business class seat to PEK, extending a few hours to SIN and back, and able to stopover in PEK for longer (your actual purpose of trip), then maybe
I have a 10 year Chinese Visa on my passport so I'm not worried about that. Plus I've been to PEK a few times in my life. The problem with the SQ flight is that it's still PE. I'm not sure I can sit for more than 17 hours even though that looks like hell of a deal. I'm sure SQ's PE product is better than even CX's Y seats. I recently flew CX Y and 13 hours was already way too much. My butt was sore by the time I landed in HKG.

Why do you say maybe for extending a few hours to SIN and back? How would you even structure the fare on Google Flights?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I have a 10 year Chinese Visa on my passport so I'm not worried about that. Plus I've been to PEK a few times in my life. The problem with the SQ flight is that it's still PE. I'm not sure I can sit for more than 17 hours even though that looks like hell of a deal. I'm sure SQ's PE product is better than even CX's Y seats. I recently flew CX Y and 13 hours was already way too much. My butt was sore by the time I landed in HKG.

Why do you say maybe for extending a few hours to SIN and back? How would you even structure the fare on Google Flights?
well, i thought you wanted to go to china (destination) (YVR-PEK)

extending a china trip to go to SIN (adds 6 hours each way) and back to china to rack up miles isn't a bad mileage run
YVR-PEK <long stopover>-SIN-<quick turnaround>-PEK-YVR

your business class fare only allows up to 144 hour stopover. some fares dont have time restriction

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=Y...8*2.USD.218229

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=Y...8*2.USD.207458

lsquare likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Mar 5, 2019 at 7:57 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
well, i thought you wanted to go to china (destination) (YVR-PEK)

extending a china trip to go to SIN (adds 6 hours each way) and back to china to rack up miles isn't a bad mileage run
YVR-PEK <long stopover>-SIN-<quick turnaround>-PEK-YVR

your business class fare only allows up to 144 hour stopover. some fares dont have time restriction

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=Y...8*2.USD.218229

I didn't quite understood what you meant by that, but I get the time restriction now. I thought you thought I didn't have a Chinese visa.

Can you confirm that I have calculated the rough amount of mileage that I'll earn with that flight with that particular booking class?

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA WP, QF LTNB.
Just wondering what everyone's experience was ticking over to star alliance gold.

I've done a spreadsheet and should achieve it flying SYD-IAH Easter next year.

I'll stay there 5-7 days, before boarding my next United flight, which it would be good to have the updated status for.

I'm guessing 3ish days should be typical for it to be recognised in the app if everything goes smoothly?

I understand getting the physical card is a completely different story! But shouldn't be a problem until I get back to apply at the local office in SYD.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by buffegg
Just wondering what everyone's experience was ticking over to star alliance gold.

I've done a spreadsheet and should achieve it flying SYD-IAH Easter next year.

I'll stay there 5-7 days, before boarding my next United flight, which it would be good to have the updated status for.

I'm guessing 3ish days should be typical for it to be recognised in the app if everything goes smoothly?

I understand getting the physical card is a completely different story! But shouldn't be a problem until I get back to apply at the local office in SYD.

I haven't paid too much attention to how long it takes to credit flights on *A partners, but from memory, UA flights take at least a week to be credited in your OZ program. SQ flights seem to be much faster (2-3 days), but UA has been consistently longer for me.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that probably means you won't have *G on your flights back.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA WP, QF LTNB.
Originally Posted by sol95
I haven't paid too much attention to how long it takes to credit flights on *A partners, but from memory, UA flights take at least a week to be credited in your OZ program. SQ flights seem to be much faster (2-3 days), but UA has been consistently longer for me.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that probably means you won't have *G on your flights back.
I'm sure they will be extremely accommodating if I explain that the reason that I don't have *G is that their airline is too slow at crediting the points.
They might even throw in some free dental work!

I guess if I arrive at the airport early I can just fork out for UC access if there isn't a comfortable place in the terminal.
Hopefully, the Easter holiday's don't delay the crediting process even further, otherwise may still be a chance.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
as for a physical card, most ffp's seem to be moving to digital ones. I'm unsure if the SYD office can print one for you. When my wife asked at ICN recently after requalifying for Diamond, she was given a sticker/label with her membership number and a QR code to stick on the back cover of her passport. I've never seen this before, and I'm unsure how widely it'd be accepted. Honestly, I don't see how it's different to a digital card, as it'd be the same QR code.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond

I had very similar experiences with TG and SQ as sol95 had. Having said that, NH credited my miles within a day or day after the flight.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: marriott platinum, AS Gold
If located in SIN or SYD, is there any good way to get *gold at cheap price?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Originally Posted by hellointer
If located in SIN or SYD, is there any good way to get *gold at cheap price?
From most of what I've seen being located in SEL, the best value flights almost always involve travel to the US since the flight route results in a lot of miles for the cost
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Slightly off-topic, but if my UA flight to China is K-fare for every segment, I'm assuming I'll get at least 50% of the total mileage credited to my OZ account?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by lsquare
Slightly off-topic, but if my UA flight to China is K-fare for every segment, I'm assuming I'll get at least 50% of the total mileage credited to my OZ account?
According to where to credit you'll get 50%

https://www.wheretocredit.com/united-airlines/k
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vinx
I had very similar experiences with TG and SQ as sol95 had. Having said that, NH credited my miles within a day or day after the flight.
I flew UA on 3/13 and had it credit within ~3 days. So it might post on certain days of the week and not have a hard 7 day interval.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond, Marriott Plat/Gold
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I flew UA on 3/13 and had it credit within ~3 days. So it might post on certain days of the week and not have a hard 7 day interval.
For me as well, it's usually within 3 days from me for UA including long and short hauls.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:10 pm

How do you filter by booking class on Google flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.