Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Need help understanding how to achieve *G with Asiana

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help understanding how to achieve *G with Asiana

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I've got a similar issue as far as not living in an area that OZ flies to. I usually just get a ticket on UA and a second one on OZ, usually OZ from LAX and then have UA check my bags through to OZ. Virtually all of the connections are about 2.5 to 3 hours so I've got plenty of time to hit the lounge at either LAX or SFO (it would probably work at SEA as well). Never tried it with AC and I'm not sure about their policy on interlining on separate tickets so I can't help there. OZ will interline to *A with separate tickets so you can just drop your bags after you clear US Customs.
The other option is to book with one of the online agencies and get it all on one ticket and there shouldn't be any baggage issues.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ttuna3
I've got a similar issue as far as not living in an area that OZ flies to. I usually just get a ticket on UA and a second one on OZ, usually OZ from LAX and then have UA check my bags through to OZ. Virtually all of the connections are about 2.5 to 3 hours so I've got plenty of time to hit the lounge at either LAX or SFO (it would probably work at SEA as well). Never tried it with AC and I'm not sure about their policy on interlining on separate tickets so I can't help there. OZ will interline to *A with separate tickets so you can just drop your bags after you clear US Customs.
The other option is to book with one of the online agencies and get it all on one ticket and there shouldn't be any baggage issues.
How does one search for a ticket that have OZ in it and AC/UA getting me there?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Go on United website and you will see some flights are operated by Asiana. In the same way, on the Asiana site you should see some flights operated by AC/UA but with OZ flight number.

More often than not it is cheaper to buy direct on operating carrier rather than the code sharer. In my experience the code sharer is normally only cheaper on some complex itineraries (multistops) which involve several carriers.

There are some exceptions though where the code sharer is loads cheaper.
SightseeMC likes this.

Last edited by cargueiro; Oct 17, 2019 at 10:44 pm
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cargueiro
Go on United website and you will see some flights are operated by Asiana. In the same way, on the Asiana site you should see some flights operated by AC/UA but with OZ flight number.

More often than not it is cheaper to buy direct on operating carrier rather than the code sharer. In my experience the code sharer is normally only cheaper on some complex itineraries (multistops) which involve several carriers.

There are some exceptions though where the code sharer is loads cheaper.
You can also check GF and simply limit your searches to OZ/UA. Pricing should be unaffected. I know I've done searches on OZ, UA, and GF for PHX flights effectively.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 9:20 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
To qualify for Diamond status do any of the miles have to be on OZ? i.e. Is there a minimum # of flights required to be on OZ, like UA currently requires four segments on UA metal, or can I fly 30k miles on *A partners (none on OZ) and qualify for OZ Diamond (*G)?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW
To qualify for Diamond status do any of the miles have to be on OZ? i.e. Is there a minimum # of flights required to be on OZ, like UA currently requires four segments on UA metal, or can I fly 30k miles on *A partners (none on OZ) and qualify for OZ Diamond (*G)?
no OZ segment needed

initial qualification is 40k miles accured (or 30k plus 10k in asiana credit card spending). requalification is 30k miles (or 20k plus 10k in credit card spending)

note, its 40k miles accued, not flying 40k miles. if you fly deep discount UA (K fare earns 50%), 20k roundtrip butt-in-seat miles only accures 10k miles on asiana, so you need 4 trips to get diamond
zeer0 likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 19, 2019 at 10:29 am
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:41 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
paperwastage : Thanks for confirming that. I should have said "accrue or credit 30k miles" rather than "fly 30k miles."

I'm going to be a UA MileagePlus refugee based on their program changes for next year. Unfortunately my OZ Club enrollment date was 13-Dec-2016, so I've lost almost half of my two-year qualification period. Is there a waiting period between closing one OZ Club account and opening a new one to start with a fresh, full two-year period?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:09 am

I posted this in the FAQ, but figured it should go here. It's the round trips required from ICN to the US in OZ discount economy, by fare class and airport. Hope it helps.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by paperwastage
no OZ segment needed

initial qualification is 40k miles accured (or 30k plus 10k in asiana credit card spending). requalification is 30k miles (or 20k plus 10k in credit card spending)

note, its 40k miles accued, not flying 40k miles. if you fly deep discount UA (K fare earns 50%), 20k roundtrip butt-in-seat miles only accures 10k miles on asiana, so you need 4 trips to get diamond
Is it 10K of spend on the card or does the 10K credit/voucher you get every year count toward status?
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by tangfish
Is it 10K of spend on the card or does the 10K credit/voucher you get every year count toward status?
Read the boa voucher carefully

You don't get 10k points annually. You get a coupon that allows you to take 10k off a redemption/upgrade
Gasolin, Aragorn7 and zeer0 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold

You don't get 10k points annually. You get a coupon that allows you to take 10k off a redemption/upgrade
Plus it says it's a voucher for US only.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by Gasolin
Plus it says it's a voucher for US only.

Ugh... didn't know that till after I applied for the card. So I guess this card is not all that useful going forward, after receiving the 30K signup bonus. At $99 AF and the voucher plus rebate only on Asiana flights, doesn't seem like a card to keep beyond the first year, unless I'm missing something (I have other cards that earn more for everyday spend, and maintaining *G seems doable just by flying, after the sprint to achieve status initially).
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:06 am

I think you're missing nothing. If you're not flying OZ, then keeping the card is probably not worth it.
lsquare and zeer0 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, AS MVPG 100K
I don't know if it's been said here, but the 30k bonus miles from the BofA Asiana Card IS TIER QUALIFYING. I spent a little over $3k to get the bonus, but when I looked at my Asiana account, apparently, I already have 5k in spend booked for Gold status - just need 15k more miles to qualify. (I'm starting out as Silver). With my planned trips until the end of my qualifying period, I will probably hit the necessary 75k in actual miles flown to hit D+. Sweet!
lsquare, Gasolin and SightseeMC like this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:41 am

TPG finally got around to posting about joining OZ as an alternative to UA. 3rd option out of 3, somehow missed Aegean as an option but picked EgyptAir (due to family pooling), yadda yadda yadda. Didn't discuss the BoA card helping out either. Don't know that it's going to cause a sudden influx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.