Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Need help understanding how to achieve *G with Asiana

Need help understanding how to achieve *G with Asiana

Old Apr 24, 19, 1:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, TrueBlue, SkyPesos
Originally Posted by bevan7 View Post
How do you filter by booking class on Google flights?
You don't. Some airline sites and some third party sites show the booking code before you purchase. A good example of this is Expedia, so if the price is similar to what it is elsewhere, the Expedia fare code will be the same one used on other sites (usually).
Old May 15, 19, 3:42 am

Please move if not appropriate here.

I need another 10k (9796 to be specific) OZ club miles to reach 40k by Jan 2020. I‘m based in ZRH and find it impossible to book via the OZ website. The website doesn‘t know ZRH as it‘s not on OZ network.

Two options seem favorable to me:
1) In October, I’ll be in Japan for two weeks. Flights are not booked yet, so I could try to get the 10k there. Will be flying Y or with a cheap Y+/C offer, if available.
EY seems an option for Y, CA with R-class also. Unfortunately, the last R-class special has expired. So likely EY in Y with a booking class that pays 10k r/t according to the OZ chart.
Or does one see another good way to get the 10k in that Japan trip?

2) An MR from ZRH. Any recommendations to hit the 10k in one run?

Input/help is appreciated!

Old May 15, 19, 3:55 am

Just saw that Etihad won‘t help for maintaining the status:
  • Miles earned by boarding the flight of a partner are not counted for promotion and maintenance of Asiana Club Membership status.
So Etihad is out of question.
Old May 15, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by TrickMcDave View Post
Please move if not appropriate here.

I need another 10k (9796 to be specific) OZ club miles to reach 40k by Jan 2020. Im based in ZRH and find it impossible to book via the OZ website. The website doesnt know ZRH as its not on OZ network.

Two options seem favorable to me:
1) In October, Ill be in Japan for two weeks. Flights are not booked yet, so I could try to get the 10k there. Will be flying Y or with a cheap Y+/C offer, if available.
EY seems an option for Y, CA with R-class also. Unfortunately, the last R-class special has expired. So likely EY in Y with a booking class that pays 10k r/t according to the OZ chart.
Or does one see another good way to get the 10k in that Japan trip?

2) An MR from ZRH. Any recommendations to hit the 10k in one run?

Input/help is appreciated!

Try SK Y+, you can get 125% of miles which guarantees youll get 10000+
Old May 15, 19, 3:17 pm

Thanks for the hint. For the Japan trip, I get with SAS Plus like 15k OZ miles for EUR 2175 whereas I get 12,3k OZ miles in a mixed C/Y trip with CA for EUR 17xx. Given that I need less than 10k, I tend to the CA trip.
But I‘ll have to do some more digging, I guess there is more to discover :-)
Old May 15, 19, 3:19 pm

Thanks for the hint. For the Japan trip, I get with SAS Plus like 15k OZ miles for EUR 2175 whereas I get 12,3k OZ miles in a mixed C/Y trip with CA for EUR 17xx. Given that I need less than 10k, I tend to the CA trip.
But Ill have to do some more digging, I guess there is more to discover :-)
if you dont mind the hassle of starting your trip from Berlin, I think SAS Plus usually costs below 1000 to NRT
Old May 15, 19, 8:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
But I‘ll have to do some more digging, I guess there is more to discover :-)
Not sure when in October you're flying but picked a few dates and looks like you can get LO ZRH-WAW-NRT or SK ZRH-CPH-NRT in J for ~2.2 – 2.3k EUR
Old May 15, 19, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Are there any domestic AC flights that can be credited to OZ? Seems like all economy fares within Canada won't count. So I should fly with WS if the flight is cheaper?
Old May 16, 19, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by truncated View Post
Not sure when in October you're flying but picked a few dates and looks like you can get LO ZRH-WAW-NRT or SK ZRH-CPH-NRT in J for ~2.2 2.3k EUR
Just did a quick search for TXL-CPH-NRT with SK, and it's 1118EUR - 1318EUR on most dates in October. The only problem is you have to buy a separate ticket from ZRH to get there. If you want to get 10000 miles with the lowest cost, this could be an option.
Old May 16, 19, 4:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, TrueBlue, SkyPesos
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Are there any domestic AC flights that can be credited to OZ? Seems like all economy fares within Canada won't count. So I should fly with WS if the flight is cheaper?
Y, B, M, U, H, Q, and V earn 100% on domestic Canada flights.
W and G earn 50% on domestic Canada flights.

The reality is that you'll have to be looking at very expensive flights usually to fall under one of these fare buckets, and even then with AC's branded fares even a Flex fare and above can book into the same "cheap" booking code.

If you have *G with OZ then consider the benefits you would get flying AC, but if the price difference is more than $50, I would go with WS.
Old May 16, 19, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by volutes View Post
Just did a quick search for TXL-CPH-NRT with SK, and it's 1118EUR - 1318EUR on most dates in October. The only problem is you have to buy a separate ticket from ZRH to get there. If you want to get 10000 miles with the lowest cost, this could be an option.
After some checking, Ill probably stick to SQ, as its convenient with just one stop in SIN and pretty cheap (CHF 1100, all legs in Y). I was amazed to see that the Y legs all book in classes that give 75% with OZ (H, W) which suffices for me to pass the 40k.
GC Map says 18891 miles for ZRH-SIN-KIX rt, multiplied by 0.75 = 14168 OZ miles. Correct?
Old May 16, 19, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zeer0 View Post
Y, B, M, U, H, Q, and V earn 100% on domestic Canada flights.
W and G earn 50% on domestic Canada flights.

The reality is that you'll have to be looking at very expensive flights usually to fall under one of these fare buckets, and even then with AC's branded fares even a Flex fare and above can book into the same "cheap" booking code.

If you have *G with OZ then consider the benefits you would get flying AC, but if the price difference is more than $50, I would go with WS.
I actually haven't seen any of those fare codes on AC's domestic flights. When I was searching, I usually see L-fares even when it's a flex. I find AC's site can get a little confusing given how they're classifying the fares. Thx for the advice. I thought I would ask because if there's a chance to earn miles, then why not?