Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Need help understanding how to achieve *G with Asiana

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help understanding how to achieve *G with Asiana

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Schweden
Google Flights.

- Enter home airport, enter destination as "Asia" or a specific airport if that's important
- Select travel length weekend/1 week/2 weeks
- Select travel month
- Filter airlines "Star Alliance"
- Select class
Awesome! Thanks bro.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From what I've observed over the past few months from the East coast:

Cheapest way => UA/AC K fares (~5.7 cents USD per mile)
Best value => BR/NH/etc Premium Economy (~6.7 cents USD per mile)
Cheapest business => CA Discount Business Fares (~11 cents USD per mile)

If you can find SQ premium economy at near $1,100, then that is a great deal and the cost per mile is comparable to a UA K ticket to SIN. However, BR/NH premium economy is usually the best value/comfort proposition and offers a better choice of destinations with the stopover in Japan or Taiwan. Overall cheapest business class would be if you could find a cheap fare to somewhere south on CM or AV as it can be had for 8.5 CPM or even lower sometimes.
I tried using Google Flights, but there is no easy way to find UA/AC K fares. Any other way to make things easier?

Surprisingly, I didn’t see any reasonably priced premium economy with NH. BR seems to be offering what I think to be decent airfares from yvr-icn/hkg/sin. Can you tell me how you’re calculating the cpm and whether this is good value? I got the pricing and booking class from Expedia. I converted the posted distance in km to miles.

YVR-TPE (P) 5955 miles, TPE-HKG (B) 511 miles

HKG-TPE (B) 511 miles, TPE-YVR (P) 5955 miles

Price: C$1531.63

I'm assuming I won’t get 100% for the short haul flights?

Any additional comments on what I get in premium economy with BR compared to economy besides getting 100% miles credited to my account?

Thx.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:10 pm

NH is only cheap out of certain markets such as ORD IIRC. For Star Alliance out of Canada, BR is the way to go.

P is discount premium economy and B is full fare economy and both accrue 100% with Asiana. Lowest CPM nearly always involves flying to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, or Indonesia as the fares are about the same but it adds at least 2,000 miles roundtrip compared to HKG.

It looks like you're paying 11.8 Canadian CPM for YVR-HKG. Flying somewhere like CGK is actually cheaper and the longer distance results in 9.2 CPM.

Through Google Flights, all the lowest priced economy AC/UA tickets should be L/K class and accrue at 50%. Since you're flying from YVR where the fares are very similar to YYZ, it will be hard cracking 11 CPM. In comparison, YYZ-SFO-SIN on UA can usually be done for under 7.5 CPM.

I'd just go for BR. PE gets you a much more comfortable and bigger seat, an amenity kit, slightly better food, a smaller cabin, a bit more attentive service, second tier priority baggage, zone 2 boarding, and second tier check in.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:26 pm

https://www.google.com/flights#flt=Y...1393093526;t:e
doesnt tell you everything, but gives you a good idea on where to start looking (and stay away from CA L-class)
UA is generally G/K, which is 50%
(change it to PE to see PE fares etc)

or use matrix.itasoftware.com

Last edited by paperwastage; Feb 28, 2019 at 6:38 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=Y...1393093526;t:e
doesnt tell you everything, but gives you a good idea on where to start looking (and stay away from CA L-class)
UA is generally G/K, which is 50%
(change it to PE to see PE fares etc)

or use matrix.itasoftware.com
Have you used ExpertFlyer before? Will that display the booking class?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Have you used ExpertFlyer before? Will that display the booking class?
it gives you a lot of information... but doesn't include YQ (and UA/AC/CA fares to china usually include a decent chunk of YQ, like $300+)

use matrix first (free!!!)... figure out a list of fare classes you want for each airline (that's easy), search on matrix for those fare classes and figure out YQ

then use expertflyer to compare the different fares and restrictions

if you dont know what you want (or dont know how to search), matrix and expertflyer is overkill. stick with that gflights link that I gave you above. click through to the airline to see fare class, get a general idea of the prices/routes/fare classes
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
CA fares are best searched on their app. ex-HKG fares (searchable on airchina.hk) have low YQ, but deals for business are rare, and economy regularly books into L.
I would also recommend running on UA. If you don't mind a few extra trips, G fares ex-PVG/PEK to SFO/LAX are like $300 round-trip, including taxes/fees/charges. But flying in economy on UA for these miles is absolute torture.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NH is only cheap out of certain markets such as ORD IIRC. For Star Alliance out of Canada, BR is the way to go.

P is discount premium economy and B is full fare economy and both accrue 100% with Asiana. Lowest CPM nearly always involves flying to Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, or Indonesia as the fares are about the same but it adds at least 2,000 miles roundtrip compared to HKG.

It looks like you're paying 11.8 Canadian CPM for YVR-HKG. Flying somewhere like CGK is actually cheaper and the longer distance results in 9.2 CPM.

Through Google Flights, all the lowest priced economy AC/UA tickets should be L/K class and accrue at 50%. Since you're flying from YVR where the fares are very similar to YYZ, it will be hard cracking 11 CPM. In comparison, YYZ-SFO-SIN on UA can usually be done for under 7.5 CPM.

I'd just go for BR. PE gets you a much more comfortable and bigger seat, an amenity kit, slightly better food, a smaller cabin, a bit more attentive service, second tier priority baggage, zone 2 boarding, and second tier check in.
What about SEA or SFO with NH?

I was just using HKG as an example, but I get your point and should consider going to SIN/CGK to extract more value out of it. Do you know if BR flies to SYD/MEL? I searched, but didn't see anything.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimmielin
CA fares are best searched on their app. ex-HKG fares (searchable on airchina.hk) have low YQ, but deals for business are rare, and economy regularly books into L.
I would also recommend running on UA. If you don't mind a few extra trips, G fares ex-PVG/PEK to SFO/LAX are like $300 round-trip, including taxes/fees/charges. But flying in economy on UA for these miles is absolute torture.
I never used their app before. Is it any good and easy to use? I mostly use Android.

Sorry, but I don't understand the last part of your post. If you recommend flying UA to China, then why do you say it's torture at the end? How are you searching UA fares to PVG/PEK from SFO/LAX? $300 rt sounds pretty good.

Thx Jimmie!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I never used their app before. Is it any good and easy to use? I mostly use Android.

Sorry, but I don't understand the last part of your post. If you recommend flying UA to China, then why do you say it's torture at the end? How are you searching UA fares to PVG/PEK from SFO/LAX? $300 rt sounds pretty good.

Thx Jimmie!
Flying economy is a torture overall, but if you are determined to fly for miles they're decent deals. These fares have been around for a while I believe - see here: UA - PVG to PEK via LAX $334
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimmielin
Flying economy is a torture overall, but if you are determined to fly for miles they're decent deals. These fares have been around for a while I believe - see here: UA - PVG to PEK via LAX $334
I think I can agree with you on that statement. I just flew CX to HKG. My butt was sore by the time I got off the plane. Not sure how much more comfortable BR or any other airline's seat is in premium economy for trans-pacific flights.

You know, I know it may be torture, but I'm prepared to do this. I think I got two years to make this work. Wish me luck!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:04 am

SQ: NYC - SE Asia, longest flight PE $994+

As expected... EWR-SIN-<se Asia city> for under 1k, PE/R on the long Long haul, economy/E on short haul

Think the longest route is EWR-SIN-MNL earning 22k round trip for $995
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Mar 2, 2019 at 9:12 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just quickly checked and CA is offering YVR-PEK-SIN in R class for C$2752.92. According to GC Map, it's a total of 8,070 miles. According to Asiana, I get 125% for each of the segments so I should earn at least 10,087.5 miles for the fare. What do you guys think?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just quickly checked and CA is offering YVR-PEK-SIN in R class for C$2752.92. According to GC Map, it's a total of 8,070 miles. According to Asiana, I get 125% for each of the segments so I should earn at least 10,087.5 miles for the fare. What do you guys think?
Comments?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:17 pm

your choice... note, its 10k each way = 20k round trip

and fare only allows max 144hour stopover in PEK each way

if you're doing a $2k mileage run to SIN just to get *G, it's a waste of money (for the benefits you get)

if you wanted a business class seat to PEK, extending a few hours to SIN and back, and able to stopover in PEK for longer (your actual purpose of trip), then maybe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.