Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Does Anyone in Biz get Tired of Bibimbap?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold

Recently had the good fortune to fly 4 segments of Asiana Business Class (on a mix of A350, 777-200, and A330) on my way to and from Hong Kong to run the half marathon. However, I was surprised that on all 4 segments, the Korean option was Bibimbap. And only bibimbap. While there were 2-3 Western options each time... It's easy to execute in the air and is relatively healthy and not too heavy, but unremarkable enough that I only got it on my first of 4 flights.

So I wanted to hear from the Asiana frequent flyers; do you get tired of bibimbap usually being the only Korean option? If not, what is it about the dish that makes you order it consistently on your flights? I am just surprised that there are such vibrant options across Korean cuisine and Asiana doesn't seem to mix it up
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Asiana won't mix it up because bibimbap on a plane has somehow become a symbol to native Koreans as the last meal before the symbolic death and rebirth that occurs when they have to go somewhere where Korean food is not widely available.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
Recently had the good fortune to fly 4 segments of Asiana Business Class (on a mix of A350, 777-200, and A330) on my way to and from Hong Kong to run the half marathon. However, I was surprised that on all 4 segments, the Korean option was Bibimbap. And only bibimbap. While there were 2-3 Western options each time... It's easy to execute in the air and is relatively healthy and not too heavy, but unremarkable enough that I only got it on my first of 4 flights.

So I wanted to hear from the Asiana frequent flyers; do you get tired of bibimbap usually being the only Korean option? If not, what is it about the dish that makes you order it consistently on your flights? I am just surprised that there are such vibrant options across Korean cuisine and Asiana doesn't seem to mix it up
Hmm that's odd — it's usually bibimbap on flights into ICN and ssambap for flights departing ICN — has something changed recently?
Paella747 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
Originally Posted by truncated
Hmm that's odd — it's usually bibimbap on flights into ICN and ssambap for flights departing ICN — has something changed recently?
Regardless, I find it baffling that there are literally only two options ever, and that everyone thinks this is fine and normal.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
That's all we need. Bibimbap, ssambap, and ramen.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
This is not to defend for OZ, but I have flown other same routes for many years (QF & CX to HKG, TG to BKK, SQ to SiN, NH to HND). They always serving same meals with same options.
royng likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by corbomite
Asiana won't mix it up because bibimbap on a plane has somehow become a symbol to native Koreans as the last meal before the symbolic death and rebirth that occurs when they have to go somewhere where Korean food is not widely available.
This is the best thing I've seen on FT re: Korea in all my years.

That being said - I complained to the FA (in Korean) on KE yesterday when my "Morning Calm member seat" (aka not available for others to pre-select) actually meant that I got served literally last on the first meal. And GOD after 3 weeks in America, I was craving bibimbap SO BAD and instead I got some cold cat food "beef pasta." I mean I wasn't angry but gah I was SO DISAPPOINTED. My poor Korean bf his face just sunk when he heard that there was no bibimbap. But in true Korean fashion, several FAs came over to apologize, they gave us TONS of snacks in the middle and we got served first during second service.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by corbomite
To be fair, now days you have Korean food / groceries a bit everywhere... so the death doesn't have to be that bad. Unless you go to Buenos Aires or Istanbul!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:42 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by slimjin
Regardless, I find it baffling that there are literally only two options ever, and that everyone thinks this is fine and normal.
is this really any different than the eternal option of omelet for breakfast, on almost every morning flight?
vinx likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
Originally Posted by soy
is this really any different than the eternal option of omelet for breakfast, on almost every morning flight?
That's fair - do you mean on OZ, or on all airlines? I don't really know about OZ's morning menu, so I'll assume you mean that in general, on many airlines, the breakfast option is always an omelet. The differences I see are that (1) the breakfast option isn't literally always an omelet (perhaps on OZ it is, but again I don't know enough to comment). It *often* is the option on many airlines, but it's not literally 100%, whereas bibimbap is literally 100% always the Korean dinner option on OZ. And (2), the more puzzling reason to me is that Korean food is very diverse, and many airlines try to showcase the diversity of their country's cuisine a bit on J menus. It frustrates me just because it seems like a lost opportunity. Some variety - even within Korean cuisine - would make flying OZ J a bit more interesting, at least to me.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by slimjin
That's fair - do you mean on OZ, or on all airlines? I don't really know about OZ's morning menu, so I'll assume you mean that in general, on many airlines, the breakfast option is always an omelet. The differences I see are that (1) the breakfast option isn't literally always an omelet (perhaps on OZ it is, but again I don't know enough to comment). It *often* is the option on many airlines, but it's not literally 100%, whereas bibimbap is literally 100% always the Korean dinner option on OZ. And (2), the more puzzling reason to me is that Korean food is very diverse, and many airlines try to showcase the diversity of their country's cuisine a bit on J menus. It frustrates me just because it seems like a lost opportunity. Some variety - even within Korean cuisine - would make flying OZ J a bit more interesting, at least to me.
Are we talking about breakfast for J only?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Talking

Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
do you get tired of bibimbap usually being the only Korean option?
No. I just wish they'd have an old lady in the galley making ttoekpoekki as well.......
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by Paella747
No. I just wish they'd have an old lady in the galley making ttoekpoekki as well.......
I would be totally behind this if it is of the blow-off-your-... spicy
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
This is the best thing I've seen on FT re: Korea in all my years.

That being said - I complained to the FA (in Korean) on KE yesterday when my "Morning Calm member seat" (aka not available for others to pre-select) actually meant that I got served literally last on the first meal. And GOD after 3 weeks in America, I was craving bibimbap SO BAD and instead I got some cold cat food "beef pasta." I mean I wasn't angry but gah I was SO DISAPPOINTED. My poor Korean bf his face just sunk when he heard that there was no bibimbap. But in true Korean fashion, several FAs came over to apologize, they gave us TONS of snacks in the middle and we got served first during second service.
Originally Posted by Gasolin
To be fair, now days you have Korean food / groceries a bit everywhere... so the death doesn't have to be that bad. Unless you go to Buenos Aires or Istanbul!
Obviously you were not in California-America.

Yes, so if tey are flying to SFO or LAX, why bother with bibimbap?

Especially the disgusting bibimbap they serve on the plane. It isn't even dolsot!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Obviously you were not in California-America.

Yes, so if tey are flying to SFO or LAX, why bother with bibimbap?

Especially the disgusting bibimbap they serve on the plane. It isn't even dolsot!
That would be against safety hazard
Gasolin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.