Wiki Posts
Search

OZ C VGML

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
OZ C VGML

Last week, we flew OZ KIX-ICN-LAX, all in business. We had VGMLs on both flights.

On the short hop, the meal was brought out on a tray all at once (95 minute flight time, so that didn't seem unusual). There was a starter salad of sliced tomato & avocado; my tomato was horribly mushy, but my wife (who doesn't much like tomatoes) of course ended up with a very nice tomato. Both the avocados were pretty bland and tasteless. The entree was a crepe-like thing, filled with spinach & feta, accompanied by a roasted zucchini and a mixed bean salad. Nice, tasty and filling - especially for a 10:50am departure.

The long-haul meal was a mixed bag. There was a plate of 3 hors d'oeuvres (all stuffed vegetables of different kinds), followed by an appetizer (some sort of a croquette, on grilled zucchini slices) and a very nice warm tomato soup. The entree was a bit bizarre - 4 large ravioli, under a mess of some kind of a white creamy/cheesy sauce. The only VGML dessert was a small fruit plate - they would not offer us the cheesecake dessert offered to all other J pax until they knew that there would be leftovers - but they did offer us the cheese plate.

For the breakfast meal, we were served tortellini, in a similar white sauce. Being served 2 very similar pasta dishes on a 10+ hour flight was bizarre to say the least. (Also, OZ, if the flight is due to land at 8:40am, you don't wake up the entire J cabin for breakfast at 6am and then turn the lights off again at 7 - you wait to do the breakfast service until 7:15...)
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
The second meal served approximately 2.5 hours before landing, yeah they will never change that. You can't sleep through it either, even with earplugs and an eye cover. The smell of the food will wake you up.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've heard Korean Air also has stupid meal service timing where they turn the lights on way too early. Maybe a cultural thing?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
It is the same on Korean Air. I think they do the second meal service at that time to give the attendants enough time to put the meals away and prep the cabin for landing. If meals were served an hour before landing, I think the crew would be in a frantic rush to get everything ready before landing.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Not just KE — SQ and NH do it all the time as well (the worst offender in my book really is SQ's JFK-FRA where they turn the lights on 2.5 before landing on a very short eastbound redeye to serve you a cold sandwich and coffee in Y)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:16 pm

It is supposed to be convenient for the FAs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.