Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

renewing status after a long hiatus

renewing status after a long hiatus

Reply

Old Jan 10, 19, 2:02 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,822
renewing status after a long hiatus

Here is my situation. Several years ago I was OZ Diamond. But since maybe 2014 or 15, I have been mostly focused on oneworld and my status dropped to gold and then to silver. The last time I credited miles to Asiana was 2016. If I want to start flying *A again and crediting to OZ, how does my base date affect my earning period? In other words, can I just start now and then have 24 months to earn Gold or Diamond or do I have to start at a certain time? I don't want to start crediting only to find out that I only had, say, seven months left in my collection period. Anyone know how this works for people with no status who formerly had status. I have over 100K banked miles, so I don't want to start over with a new account, even if it were possible. thanks.
eefor jfp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:18 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: HRB
Programs: OZ Diamond
Posts: 95
As far as I'm aware, the qualification periods are always 2 year blocks based on the base date. Therefore if, for example your base date was 30 June 2015, then your current qualification period is 1.7.2017 - 30.6.2019 and therefore you have just over six months to get to *G (30k or 40k). There is no rolling 24 month qualification period like I think you are hoping for that I'm aware of.
seanpodge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 11:53 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Programs: Asiana Diamond, Delta Silver Medallion, Skywards Silver, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
Posts: 228
You have to wait for you two year window to restart if you need the full two years to requalify.

You will need to work out if you can achieve any meaningful status between now and when your base yet comes around again.
cargueiro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 19, 4:48 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,822
Originally Posted by seanpodge View Post
As far as I'm aware, the qualification periods are always 2 year blocks based on the base date. Therefore if, for example your base date was 30 June 2015, then your current qualification period is 1.7.2017 - 30.6.2019 and therefore you have just over six months to get to *G (30k or 40k). There is no rolling 24 month qualification period like I think you are hoping for that I'm aware of.
Originally Posted by cargueiro View Post
You have to wait for you two year window to restart if you need the full two years to requalify.

You will need to work out if you can achieve any meaningful status between now and when your base yet comes around again.
Thanks to both of you for the info. Right now I am half way into my two year block (it took a while to find my reference date on the website but I was eventually successful). I joined Asiana Club in January of 2010 so my two year period basically starts at the beginning of an even year and ends with the end of an odd year. Since I will need roughly 15 months to re-qualify for Diamond, I guess I will need to wait another year to start. Seem strange but it is what it is. Again, appreciate the help since it really isn't clear from the website and my search of the forum was unsuccessful.

One more question. Since I don't currently have Diamond status, I assume that I need the full 40K to qualify. The 30K is just to maintain it if you already have it, correct?
eefor jfp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 19, 8:00 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seoul
Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by eefor jfp View Post
One more question. Since I don't currently have Diamond status, I assume that I need the full 40K to qualify. The 30K is just to maintain it if you already have it, correct?
Correct, unless you have an Asiana credit card, in which case 30k flown miles plus 10k credit card spend also qualify. If you're based in Croatia, that's probably not an option but just for the sake of completeness.
zeer0 likes this.
jon503 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 19, 11:54 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,822
Originally Posted by jon503 View Post
Correct, unless you have an Asiana credit card, in which case 30k flown miles plus 10k credit card spend also qualify. If you're based in Croatia, that's probably not an option but just for the sake of completeness.
Thanks. I have US citizenship and a US permanent address even if we're European residents, so the BofA card would be possible. Is that $10,000 in spend in a calendar year or in a two year period? Do bonus miles count, In other words, would $3333 in Asiana tickets or $5000 in grocery spending be the same $10,000 in general spend?
eefor jfp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 19, 8:38 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seoul
Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Posts: 505
Originally Posted by eefor jfp View Post
Thanks. I have US citizenship and a US permanent address even if we're European residents, so the BofA card would be possible. Is that $10,000 in spend in a calendar year or in a two year period? Do bonus miles count, In other words, would $3333 in Asiana tickets or $5000 in grocery spending be the same $10,000 in general spend?
In that case that's a good option. Spend is based on your qualification period, not a calendar year and I'm not aware of any distinction of where the spend comes from.
I haven't really looked into US cards but it looks like with the BofA card, it's 3:1 for Asiana tickets and 2:1 for grocery spending as you say. These would both get you the 10,000 miles. So it could be as little as 1 Asiana long distance ticket a year and some grocery and gas spending to get you the 10,000 miles, just as an example (I would look into the details though. For example, it could be that the grocery and gas spending only properly gets recognized in the US).
zeer0 likes this.
jon503 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 19, 10:09 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Posts: 224
I have that BofA card you mention, I don't really use it except for groceries and sometimes when they don't take my AMEX. But it does count for your 10k requirement.
It also pays back $100 / calendar year on Asiana purchases so you could qualify by purchasing 2 long distance Asiana tickets, get the miles, get the 3x miles for the 10k portion, over a period of 2 years.

Example: JFK ICN is 6,900 miles so 13,800 miles RT.
Over 2 years: 13,800 x 2 = 27,600 miles.
Assuming it costs you $1000 per year, then $2000 - $100 x 2 = $1800, while bringing in 6000 miles.

The remaining balance:
2,400 miles on the 30k portion
4000 miles or $4000 on the 10k portion from the credit card

A EWR / SFO is 2,500 miles, and even at 50% for Asiana redemption (which is the case for most cheap UA flights), you will get 2,500 miles. And the ticket can be below $500, etc...

In short: It's more than feasible.

For groceries and gas, it relies on the merchant code and it only works in the US.

Last edited by Gasolin; Jan 11, 19 at 10:17 pm
Gasolin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 11:38 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,822
Jon503 and Gasolin, thanks for the additional input. I'd love to have a card for gas and groceries that gives bonuses for overseas' spend since that's where we spend the bulk of our time.

EDIT: Gasolin, I looked at the card's terms and conditions online and I can't find where the gas and groceries bonus is limited to US merchants. It may be that coding is an issue but I know that, with VISA at least, merchants here correctly code restaurant and travel spending (for the Chase Sapphire bonus categories), so I would think gas and groceries could also code correctly.

Regardless, the BofA card is something to think about for 2020. I do a fair bit of intra-Europe flying in economy and so would appreciate *G (Priority Pass is nice but *G is better in terms of food in most places I transit--Vienna, Munich, Frankfurt).

On my 3-4 annual long hall trips (mostly to the US) I fly biz anyways so lounge access isn't that big a deal but I will admit it's been nice having oneworld emerald for first lounges in LHR and a few other places. Though avoiding LHR isn't the worst option, especially with Brexit looming and In any case, it sounds like I have a year to think about it.

Last edited by eefor jfp; Jan 12, 19 at 12:00 pm Reason: added paragraph in italics
eefor jfp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 19, 2:32 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Posts: 224
@eefor jfp: Yes, my assumption was that you can only get the correct merchant code in the US.
I think I used the card before in South Korea briefly and I certainly didn't get any bonus on groceries, but maybe the code don't correspond.

From their T&C: 2 Miles: Earn 2 miles (consisting of 1 bonus mile and 1 base mile) for every $1 spent on Net Purchases at eligible gas and grocery store merchants. Eligible merchants for the Bonus Categories include: (a) Gas (representing Service Stations & Automated Fuel Dispensers - please note that superstores and wholesale clubs that sell gasoline are not considered service stations); and (b) Grocery Store (representing Grocery Stores/Supermarkets, Freezer/Meat Lockers, Candy/Nut/Confection Stores, Dairy Product Stores, Bakeries, and Misc. Food Stores - please note superstores, discount stores and wholesale clubs are not included in this list). 1 Mile: Earn 1 mile (base mile) for every $1 of all other Net Purchases. Bonus Mile Processing: Merchants are assigned a merchant category code (MCC) based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We do not determine which MCC a merchant chooses to classify itself. We reserve the right to verify eligibility of all transactions. We may adjust your number of miles for any valid reason including use of the Account for an improper purpose.
Gasolin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 19, 3:15 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: coastal Croatia
Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Posts: 1,822
I looked at my recent Chase VISA statements for gas and groceries in Croatia and they correctly list those categories AND correctly filter out the categories that should be filtered out (i.e. superstores/wholesale clubs). I don't know who codes these items--VISA or Chase but the fact that they are doing it and doing it correctly gives me some hope. In any case, I can't test it now since I will wait till the end of the year to apply. I will report back then or maybe someone with the Asiana VISA can try gas or groceries overseas and see if they get double miles.

By the way, I called BofA and the CS person I talked to said she thought that the bonus would apply overseas, based on the T&Cs. But she wasn't able to guarantee it.

Edit: According to creditcard.com, it's the credit card company that issues the merchant category code, so in this case VISA. If my Chase VISA has the correct category codes, that implies that my Asiana VISA will have the same codes and so should post bonus categories correctly.
Gasolin likes this.

Last edited by eefor jfp; Jan 16, 19 at 3:24 pm Reason: add last paragraph
eefor jfp is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: