Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Factors that affect jetbridge vs. bus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G

I just completed a weekend GMP-CJU trip on OZ, and 3 of the 4 dis/embarkings were done via bus. On the way down I was on an A321 and on the way back a B767-300 (the final disembarking at GMP was the one done via jetbridge). I was just curious, are there any predictable factors that affect whether your flight will get a jetbridge or not, or is just basically random, depending on various events that happen on that day? I figured the size of the plane might make a difference, but I can't think of anything else.

This might not be an OZ-specific question, so I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
For those airports, it is really a roll of the dice. There are lots of factors we have no control over. In my experience, it has been roughly 50/50 between getting a jetbridge or the bus. I feel they are more concerned about getting the aircraft turned around in time, instead of waiting for a gate to open up.
slimjin and Gasolin like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:09 am

Is it possible OZ settles for less-costly embarking/disembarking options? I have no idea whether airport fees are lower or higher on the basis of bus vs. jetbridge, but if they are, is it possible this is a factor?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:22 pm

Perhaps there's a logic to it but I assume it's random. I fly the GMP-HND route often. I get the remote gate on arrival about half the time. The ANA flight arrives at 10:30 and the OZ flight arrives at 10:35 but I've had a remote gate with both airlines. Once when flying OZ, we had the remote gate and the ANA arriving just before us was at the gate.
slimjin likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Sadly, getting a remote gate at HND feels kind of "ghetto." Especially since you're paying a fat premium for that ticket and it's usually overall a more "business experience." I've never gotten a gate at HND luckily, but I've heard of this happening many times haha.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Also, I think at GMP-CJU there are SO MANY flights from everyone all day all the time that it's just a matter of get in/get out. Not about saving money, cutting costs. There's just too much traffic.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Also, I think at GMP-CJU there are SO MANY flights from everyone all day all the time that it's just a matter of get in/get out. Not about saving money, cutting costs. There's just too much traffic.
So many that in fact it's the world's busiest airline route, with 13,000,000 passengers a year. Beats the next closest busiest route by a long shot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.