Wiki Posts
Search

Reach 40k with two trips?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M FTL, BA Silver
Reach 40k with two trips?

Hi all! Thanks so much for all the valuable advice in the past. Now I have a specific question to which I could not find an answer in the forum (probably my fault): I am based in ZRH and have an upcoming trip to IOS in Jan and another one to ICN in April; is it possible to reach 40k Asiana Club miles with some creative routing? I have some flexibilty with dates and don't mind sitting in airplanes or airports for many hours, so a 36 hour flight would be OK, and also understand that I probably have to pay 50-100% more than cheapest fare. Any views? Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
If you don't mind sitting long hours in Y, and going the other way, there are lots of ways.

EG, for your trip ZRH-ICN, you can go via North America...ZRH-NYC/ORD on Swiss, then NYC/ORD-ICN on OZ. On a 100% mileage ticket, I suspect that would get you close to 20k miles if not above.

Something similar could be done with your flight to IOS, but I have not idea where it is and can't be bothered to look it up.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M FTL, BA Silver
Thanks

That was the nudge in the right direction I needed: go the other direction. Now I need to find a reasonably priced ticket ...
IOS, by the way, is Ilheus on the Brazilian coast, used to be cocoa capital of the world; I'll work out some routing.
Thanks again.

Last edited by ralphCHBR; Oct 11, 2018 at 2:07 am
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
why don't you just get a *A round-the-world fare?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ralphCHBR
That was the nudge in the right direction I needed: go the other direction. Now I need to find a reasonably priced ticket ...
IOS, by the way, is Ilheus on the Brazilian coast, used to be cocoa capital of the world; I'll work out some routing.
Thanks again.
You don't necessarily have to go the other way — ZRH-SIN-ICN is ~9,200 miles one way and one can usually get pretty reasonable PE fares on SQ which earn 100% on OZ (and probably cheaper than full-fare Y or J). As for IOS it looks like (from Wikipedia) O6 is the only *A airline that flies there, but not even GRU or GIG. However something like ZRH-SFO-IAH-GRU on UA (~12,000 miles each way) connecting to GRU-IOS on Azul/Gol would work. And I think the timings for the UA flights will work out quite nicely at least on the outbound to GRU, so you won't have to spend much time sitting around as well.

Edit: Forgot that ZRH-SFO is summer seasonal only. That said ZRH-ORD-GRU is ~9,600 miles and ZRH-EWR/IAD/ORD-IAH-GRU is ~10,200 though.

Last edited by truncated; Oct 11, 2018 at 5:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.