Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

New OZ Elite Membership Qualifying/Maintenance Standard

New OZ Elite Membership Qualifying/Maintenance Standard

Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by terbangalways
So...you are saying for D class on most airlines, that presumably earns/credits 125% to QZ, will be counted as 100% miles flown (and not 125% actual crediting) to qualify for 40K for *G?
No, I think you misunderstood. You'll get the same amount of award and status miles for whatever is listed at on the fare code.

If you are OZ elite, you'll get a 5/10/15/20% bonus on top of that on OZ flights. This is only a bonus for award miles, not status miles!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0
No, I think you misunderstood. You'll get the same amount of award and status miles for whatever is listed at on the fare code.
I'm referring to Status miles to qualify for *G at 40K.
So if i were to fly partner D fare that earns 125% miles credit to Asiana, how many miles will count towards Status miles?
From my understanding above the entire 125% D fare miles will count towards the goal, and not just 100% actual miles flown.
Thinking to throw away my last segment thats shy of hitting 40K. Hence the nit pinching calculation

Last edited by terbangalways; Jan 16, 2019 at 9:34 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm referring to Status miles to qualify for *G at 40K.
So if i were to fly partner D fare that earns 125% miles credit to Asiana, how many miles will count towards Status miles?
From my understanding above the entire 125% D fare miles will count towards the goal, and not just 100% actual miles flown.
Thinking to throw away my last segment thats shy of hitting 40K. Hence the nit pinching calculation
Yes, 125% will count towards status miles. What you seen on the chart is the same for status and award miles.
Just like if you fly a heavily discounted route that only awards 25%, you will only get 25% status miles too.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0
Yes, 125% will count towards status miles. What you seen on the chart is the same for status and award miles.
Just like if you fly a heavily discounted route that only awards 25%, you will only get 25% status miles too.
Thank you!
Newbie at QZ.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
So...you are saying for D class on most airlines, that presumably earns/credits 125% to QZ, will be counted as 100% miles flown (and not 125% actual crediting) to qualify for 40K for *G?
Thank you!
Newbie at QZ.

You really must be a noob to Asiana...

it's OZ, not QZ
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:48 am

Talking

Originally Posted by sol95
You really must be a noob to Asiana...

it's OZ, not QZ
LOL, told ya im new to it!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:02 am

Looking over the qualification requirements I noticed something confusing:

-----------
Qualification Period
  • Elite Membership is granted based on the number of flights and Asiana Affiliate Card records over the 24-month period from the base date.
  • If you satisfy the standard in the 24 months, early membership promotion is granted. The Elite membership status is maintained for the period of the early promotion and an additional 24 months.
  • When the eligibility maintenance period expires, the new membership class is determined by the number of flights taken and Asiana affiliate card records over the previous 24 months. The number of flights taken and Asiana affiliate card records during the early upgrade period are not included when evaluating membership eligibility.
  • * The number of flights boarded is based on the boarding date and Asiana affiliate card records are based on the accrual date when calculated in the membership eligibility evaluation. Elite Membership upgrade will be carried out the day after you meet the Elite Membership upgrade requirements.
-----------

What does that mean? Does it state that after the eligibility maintenance period expires, that they will only use flights and not miles to give status?

When does the eligibility maintenance period expire? Lets say you earn diamond, you have it for 24 months from your original "base date", and you don't accumulate enough miles to maintain during that 24 months, is that the end of the eligibility maintenance period? Because this would mean that you have 24 months from your original base date to re-qualify, and not from the date that your state was granted.
My confusion arises from their definition of base date,
Base Date* :
November 1 every even year for members who joined Asiana Club on or before September 30, 2008
Date of subscription for members who joined Asiana Club on or after October 1, 2008

The implication here is that you maintenance period does not start at 24 months from when you achieve status, but rather from your original base date (signup date for those that joined after 9/2008).

Am I wrong in this reading? FYI I got to this text by clicking the Diamond tab on the Membership System/Signup page.

It's further confusing because my interpretation of the above text conflicts with what is written on the Elite Membership Upgrade/ Eligibility Maintenance Requirements page.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
Yes that is my understanding as well. From the base date (when you sign up), you have 2 years to qualify for the highest status you can, then another 2 years to requal for that status.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Hi tdatta, welcome to Flyertalk!

I'll try to clarify the OZ system using my experience:

Signed up Feb 2010 making my Base Date is Feb 28, 2010 (last day of February). Upgrade/qualify date is Feb 2012
Made Gold April 2010, next downgrade date is now Feb 2014 since the I qualified early before the original qualify/downgrade date.
Made Diamond May 2010, no change in downgrade/qualify date
Made Diamond Plus December 2010, still no change in date.
Fast Forward to Feb 2012 Qualifying Mileage resets to zero and I'm still Diamond Plus until February 2014
Qualified for Diamond Plus in March 2013, new downgrade date is now February 2016, another early qualification.
Qualified for Diamond Plus in February 2015, new downgrade date is now February 2018, another early qualification.
Fast Forward to Feb 2016 Qualifying Mileage resets to zero and I'm still Diamond Plus until 2018
Qualified for Diamond Plus in November 2016, new downgrade date is now February 2018, another early qualification.
Qualified for Lifetime Diamond Plus in November 2017.
Starting in February 2018. No more downgrade/qualification dates

Hope this helps
Gasolin and kaffir76 like this.

Last edited by ttuna3; Sep 26, 2019 at 8:59 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:45 am

Hi ttuna3,
Yes indeed that was very helpful. Based on your experience I will ignore my previous concern and assume it was either an error in my understanding or in their website.

OZ is extremely generous.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Question Evaluation period vs base date & Mileage for Tier maintain

Originally Posted by ttuna3
Hi tdatta, welcome to Flyertalk!

I'll try to clarify the OZ system using my experience:

Signed up Feb 2010 making my Base Date is Feb 28, 2010 (last day of February). Upgrade/qualify date is Feb 2012
Made Gold April 2010, next downgrade date is now Feb 2014 since the I qualified early before the original qualify/downgrade date.
Made Diamond May 2010, no change in downgrade/qualify date
Made Diamond Plus December 2010, still no change in date.
Fast Forward to Feb 2012 Qualifying Mileage resets to zero and I'm still Diamond Plus until February 2014
Qualified for Diamond Plus in March 2013, new downgrade date is now February 2016, another early qualification.
Qualified for Diamond Plus in February 2015, new downgrade date is now February 2018, another early qualification.
Fast Forward to Feb 2016 Qualifying Mileage resets to zero and I'm still Diamond Plus until 2018
Qualified for Diamond Plus in November 2016, new downgrade date is now February 2018, another early qualification.
Qualified for Lifetime Diamond Plus in November 2017.
Starting in February 2018. No more downgrade/qualification dates

Hope this helps
Hi there, this was really helpful - thanks a bunch!
So the re qualification period & renewal will always be for 2 years, & it'll just keep extending for 2 more years each time you renew by achieving the 30,000 miles required (for Diamond, in my case)

My current Evaluation period is -

2019.11.01 ~ 2021.10.31

I'll have 35,000 miles from two SQ SIN-LAX flights in PEY (R class 100%) in the next 6 weeks, & I'm thinking of not renewing my SQ KF Gold membership.
Instead I'll just credit all these miles to OZ & voila - 3.5 more years of *G (until 31 Oct. 2023 - if I read & understood the T&C's correctly)
Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Quick question - does anyone know if the lower requalification standards apply if you're dropping down a tier?

Am currently Diamond Plus expiring 3/2022, but perhaps unsurprisingly have not managed to do much flying in the past two years and am nowhere near the 75k needed to requalify. Considering doing a bunch of MRs to get to Diamond through 2024 (or whenever OZ finally merges with KE), but would I need 30k (i.e. the Diamond requalification threshold) to get Diamond, or 40k instead?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium//JAL Global Club//HH Diamond//United 1K
I wonder if this change is because they know that people are switching loyalty due to the merge with korean air ? I know I personally switched from asiana to united since I'm not sure how sustainable crediting flights to asiana will be
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:59 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
Originally Posted by atzy99
I wonder if this change is because they know that people are switching loyalty due to the merge with korean air ? I know I personally switched from asiana to united since I'm not sure how sustainable crediting flights to asiana will be
I'm waiting to see how it all shakes out. I figure there's another good year or two before they tackle merging the frequent flyer programs (I don't even think the merger deal has been signed and sealed yet by the regulators) and when they do it's not like what I have will disappear, it'll just get merged into Korean Air. I'm not interested in switching over to them, but I expect that a number of Star Alliance carriers will have some sort of status match offer when it occurs (I believe that's what has happened in past when carriers have exited the alliance) and then I can switch over to a new Star Alliance carrier and just burn off whatever points I have left that are now in Korean Air at my leisure.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:59 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Sea-Wolf
I'm waiting to see how it all shakes out. I figure there's another good year or two before they tackle merging the frequent flyer programs (I don't even think the merger deal has been signed and sealed yet by the regulators) and when they do it's not like what I have will disappear, it'll just get merged into Korean Air. I'm not interested in switching over to them, but I expect that a number of Star Alliance carriers will have some sort of status match offer when it occurs (I believe that's what has happened in past when carriers have exited the alliance) and then I can switch over to a new Star Alliance carrier and just burn off whatever points I have left that are now in Korean Air at my leisure.
I suspect OZ will leave *A before OZ's FFP get rolled into KE's. I honestly wasn't following it closely when US "merged" with AA, but don't remember there was much effort from other *A carriers to retain US elites. Obviously, one can still request a status match once the OZ status becomes KE.

LAX

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.