Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

New OZ Elite Membership Qualifying/Maintenance Standard

New OZ Elite Membership Qualifying/Maintenance Standard

Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0
The BOFA card isn't bad. 30,000 miles is a decent sign up bonus, especially if you're redeeming for awards where OZ club is cheaper than others (ex. UA)
You can rack up a lot of miles from buying VGC at Safeway (2x) also, which I guess count for status now too for the first 10k.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Good info, thanks. So, if my anniversary date is in March and I don't think it's likely I'll fly enough (including the bonus) to get to the next tier before then, is it better that I wait until after March to get the card for the first time? Then the sign-up bonus will count toward the new period?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: Some
Yes. I'm at 35000 for this period, and it says on my profile I need "0" more miles to keep Diamond for the next period.
Where do you find the number of miles to retain status? My dashboard only seems to have 'xxx miles required to upgrade to Diamond Plus.'
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by subichow
Where do you find the number of miles to retain status? My dashboard only seems to have 'xxx miles required to upgrade to Diamond Plus.'
On the dashboard click on your current status and it'll take you to a page titled "Membership Class" (alternatively you can select "Tier" from the dropdown in the grey bar). Scroll all the way down (past the extremely useless diagrams showing "promotion requirements for each membership class" and you'll see a line telling you how many miles you need to retain status:

Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by truncated
On the dashboard click on your current status and it'll take you to a page titled "Membership Class" (alternatively you can select "Tier" from the dropdown in the grey bar). Scroll all the way down (past the extremely useless diagrams showing "promotion requirements for each membership class" and you'll see a line telling you how many miles you need to retain status:

Legend!! Got it
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
Originally Posted by walked2far
Last time I checked, not too long ago, I was Asiana Gold. Logged in today and I'm now Diamond. It appears as if the sign up bonus from the BofA credit card counted. I wonder if transferred miles count as well. Now I have to decide if it's worth it going for Diamond Plus before the end of my qualification period next year.
Are you sure? This sounds almost too good to be true considering that the bonus would shave 1/4 of the miles required for Diamond. Is anyone else able to confirm that the signup bonus counts towards OZ elite?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chronicrelief
Are you sure? This sounds almost too good to be true considering that the bonus would shave 1/4 of the miles required for Diamond. Is anyone else able to confirm that the signup bonus counts towards OZ elite?
Yes. BOFA now counts up to 10,000 for Diamond. Also good incentive to keep the card past the first year.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
Yes. BOFA now counts up to 25%. Also good incentive to keep the card past the first year.
I'm aware that credit card spend can count up to 25%, but I was specifically asking whether the sign up bonus counts towards elite qualification. It seems to me that it would fall under bonus miles and therefore not be counted.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chronicrelief
I'm aware that credit card spend can count up to 25%, but I was specifically asking whether the sign up bonus counts towards elite qualification. It seems to me that it would fall under bonus miles and therefore not be counted.
All the miles earned by credit card are technically "bonus miles" whether sign up bonus or not. Just an exemption to allow a certain # to be applied to status. There's no wordage on the BOFA or Asiana websites to say that the sign up bonus is any different.

I think your confusion is coming from AA/DL/UA cards where you can earn MQD bonuses separately from the sign up bonus of miles.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
I saw these requirements today, and had to come here to make sure I wasn't insane.

Let me ask the collected gurus here.
  1. Do the bonus miles earned while flying count for status? I assume not.
  2. Is this the "sweet spot" in airline status right now? Yes, OZ Diamond status is hard to earn on partner discounted economy. But once you get it that's 1 trans-Pacific/trans-Atlantic flight (earning 5-7K) and some extra flights each year. The CC essentially seems like a hybrid MQD/status requirement at that rate. Or, with no OZ metal requirements, any mid-level business traveler in the US who couldn't hit Gold at 50K +$$$ every year would now have UA lounge access nationwide.
We just started splitting time between Seoul/USA last year and chose OZ as our program. Diamond+ doesn't seem worth it for us, but if I grab the BAC card next time I'm home we'll be Diamond indefinitely with these requirements.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I saw these requirements today, and had to come here to make sure I wasn't insane.

Let me ask the collected gurus here.
  1. Do the bonus miles earned while flying count for status? I assume not.
  2. Is this the "sweet spot" in airline status right now? Yes, OZ Diamond status is hard to earn on partner discounted economy. But once you get it that's 1 trans-Pacific/trans-Atlantic flight (earning 5-7K) and some extra flights each year. The CC essentially seems like a hybrid MQD/status requirement at that rate. Or, with no OZ metal requirements, any mid-level business traveler in the US who couldn't hit Gold at 50K +$$$ every year would now have UA lounge access nationwide.
We just started splitting time between Seoul/USA last year and chose OZ as our program. Diamond+ doesn't seem worth it for us, but if I grab the BAC card next time I'm home we'll be Diamond indefinitely with these requirements.
I expected that OZ Diamond would become *S shortly after this was announced but thus far it hasn't happened even though the comparable status on KE is only ST Elite, not Elite Plus (although ST elite gets SkyPriority and some extra baggage allowance while *S gets basically nothing.....so technically the only thing OZ Diamond offers that KE's comparable status level doesn't offer is lounge).
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I expected that OZ Diamond would become *S shortly after this was announced but thus far it hasn't happened even though the comparable status on KE is only ST Elite, not Elite Plus (although ST elite gets SkyPriority and some extra baggage allowance while *S gets basically nothing.....so technically the only thing OZ Diamond offers that KE's comparable status level doesn't offer is lounge).
I'd think (hope) that if they needed to limit it, the first step would be to require X segments on OZ metal, like Avianca and Adriatic do I believe. And/or, up it to 50K/40K earn/maintain.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Asiana Club
Originally Posted by rbAA
Plus there are many fares especially on TG, that don't earn any miles, so you do need to watch carefully. My GF and I took UA over to OGG from SFO and it was 50% for her. My UA MP earnings weren't much more even as 1K. Looks like we'll just do an SQ PE BKK-SIN-LAX in March on their promo (US$1100) to complete our DIA status as we're at apx 26k each.
​​​​​

This is true. I had a partner flight. Bought the ticket on United, Air New Zealand metal. If it was a United flight, I get 50% credit. Same booking class on ANZ, 0% credit. If you choose Asiana, pay attention to what class you book and compare to the table. I'm kicking myself over that. I would've gotten at least 3600 miles on a one way Auckland to LAX.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Do the bonus miles earned while flying count for status? I assume not.
They don't.

Neither do transfers in from American Express (and presumably other card issuers) - you need to have an Asiana branded card (US or Korea-issued only at the moment) to credit miles earned from card spend.

However the reduction in requalificication requirements is welcome.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by wyvern
They don't..
So...you are saying for D class on most airlines, that presumably earns/credits 125% to QZ, will be counted as 100% miles flown (and not 125% actual crediting) to qualify for 40K for *G?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.