Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ICN delays due to catering issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:52 pm

Mrs. Zippy will be flying out of LAX in business class in the spring of 2019. If anyone has current pictures of the grub in Asiana J out of LAX, please post them here. Anyone know who provides their catering out of LAX?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
At LAX, Asiana uses a catering company called Hacor. You can expect the food to be virtually identical to what is offered ex-ICN.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Not quite relevant to the LAX question, but I just returned from ICN-HND in OZ J and returning HND-GMP in NH Y. The food still is not fixed, I had an ok steak with way too much salty gravy, some mushy mashed potatoes and a few vegetables. The only decent part was the blueberry cheesecake (I'm usually not one for dessert on planes, but this was actually surprisingly alright). The experience was topped off with an ancient A321 with seats with manual buttons and a foot rest that didn't work. On the return on NH, I got treated to a 787, good food and good IFE, I even almost made it through a movie on the short flight. NH Y beat OZ J hands down. I'm kind of irritated having used miles, but had it been a paid fare I would have been really PO.

I know OZ are chronically cash strapped and don't have enough planes to swap out interiors without affecting their scheduling, but if they want to stay competitive long-term, OZ can't afford to let themselves slip this much.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Blue; HHonors Gold; Priority Club Gold
Flew ICN to LHR on 26 Oct. Menu was that shown on 12 Oct by 1984SW. Crew were a little embarrassed by what was offered. How on earth do you equate scrambled egg as the landing meal with a flight that lands either at 18:50 local time or 02:50 ICN time? (By contrast the LHR-ICN leg offered semi dinner as prelanding meal, on the basis that it's about 5 pm local time and breakfast wouldn't be right.
I've staunchly supported OZ for 20 years, but unless this changes I'll go with KE next time.
Interestingly the onward flight to NRT on way out was completely up to standard
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum

Here is the menu from OZ222 ICN-JFK last Friday, November 2. A bit sparse but the food actually was not bad.
zippy the pinhead likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by MW147
Here is the menu from OZ222 ICN-JFK last Friday, November 2. A bit sparse but the food actually was not bad.
And here was the menu from OZ222 about a year ago:

Looks like with the exception of the Western entree choices (which is still a pretty significant omission — although what passed for eggs benedict at breakfast was pretty dismal back then) and breakfast breads we're basically back to where we started...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by truncated

Looks like with the exception of the Western entree choices (which is still a pretty significant omission — although what passed for eggs benedict at breakfast was pretty dismal back then) and breakfast breads we're basically back to where we started...
Interesting similarities, though that "chicken breast sous vide" was the main offender when I had that exact same menu recently. Also, I had steak before a few years ago and had it again recently and the execution suffered a lot (also, it used to not be covered in gravy that was pure salt).
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by MW147

Thanks so much for that! Upthread I added the menus from the last day of LSG Catering (6/30/2018). Previously I had overlooked them.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by truncated
And the mid-flight refreshments, too, or are they just not shown on the menu anymore?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:50 pm

Some photos from October 17th flight ICN-LAX, catering by Gate Gourmet Korea.
Same menu as ICN-JFK flight. Now without instructions on how to eat Ssambap!

Ginseng, Pear & Date Roulade

Shrimp and Vegetable with Pinenut Dressing

White Yam Porridge

Ssambap. The presentation is nice, but I think the food is more or less the same as in economy.

The beef was excellent.

2nd meal: Abalone Porridge
zippy the pinhead likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Scott in LA
And the mid-flight refreshments, too, or are they just not shown on the menu anymore?
I was sleeping at that time but so far as I know there was nothing offered mid flight.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:13 pm

The old menu mentioned the snacks available between the meals. The new menu does not mention it at all. I do recall seeing other passengers getting a hot bowl of ramen somewhere in the middle of the flight. So I know it is still available, just probably not listed on the menu. They did reduce the menu from a multi page booklet to a single page, one side English and the other side Korean.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Blue; HHonors Gold; Priority Club Gold
I've always advocated OZ for flights to Asia, even getting my colleagues at work to fly LHR to Shanghai, Tokyo, Beijing , as well as SEL,using them. It may be that they're out of money but they've lost my vote not because of the menu itself but because they maintain the catering is now solved. Either it's not - and food TO ICN is fine, which suggests a problem at ICN- or it IS solved, in which case the solution is economy food for C pax. Either way my next flight will be with KE.
jon503 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Flew OZ204 ICN-LAX on 11/28. Exact same menu as nme7 posted, except that the "Sous Vide Lobster Tail Salad" appetizer has been replaced by a "Shrimp Salad".
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by nme7
The old menu mentioned the snacks available between the meals. The new menu does not mention it at all. I do recall seeing other passengers getting a hot bowl of ramen somewhere in the middle of the flight. So I know it is still available, just probably not listed on the menu. They did reduce the menu from a multi page booklet to a single page, one side English and the other side Korean.
It's still available even through the catering snafu - Ask anytime and they'll bring the ramen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.