Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Diamond Plus Lounge Use Changed

Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:25 am
Original Poster

I briefly mentioned in another thread about Asiana is changing the rules for using the first class lounge at ICN. So I went back and re-read it and I think either they've changed the wording or else I misunderstood it the first time. Here's what is says:

Diamond Plus Members who have accumulated 500,000 miles by boarding Asiana Airlines or Star Alliance flights, or have boarded 500 Asiana Airlines flights from the date of subscription, may use the First Class Lounge in Incheon International Airport.

* The boarding pass for the Asiana Airlines flight or Star Alliance flight must be presented. Lounge service is not available at some airports. (Only available if upgraded by December 31, 2018.)

• Upgrages before Dec 31, 2018: Highest class lounge
• Upgrages after Jan 1, 2019: Higher class lounge than the tickets presented

* Starting July 1, 2018, elite members may use the highest class lounges at Incheon International Airport only when traveling on regular flights operated by Asiana Airlines.
So it sounds like lifetime Diamond Plus members will no longer be able to enter the ICN first class lounge after July 1, 2018 when flying any non-OZ Star Alliance carrier on the basis of their OZ status. This same new clause also applies to Platinum members.

Initially I thought existing lifetime Diamond Plus members would only be able use the ICN first class lounge if flying business class or higher after January 1, 2019, and not if flying economy. But the wording as I read it now seems to indicate the new restriction is for those who become lifetime Diamond Plus after January 1, 2019, but members reaching lifetime Diamond Plus before that date can still use the first class lounge even if flying economy. Anyone else interpret it differently? Or anyone can read Korean fluently and can comment on what it says in the Korean version of the rules?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by JoeDaejeon
I briefly mentioned in another thread about Asiana is changing the rules for using the first class lounge at ICN. So I went back and re-read it and I think either they've changed the wording or else I misunderstood it the first time. Here's what is says:

So it sounds like lifetime Diamond Plus members will no longer be able to enter the ICN first class lounge after July 1, 2018 when flying any non-OZ Star Alliance carrier on the basis of their OZ status.

Initially I thought existing lifetime Diamond Plus members would only be able use the ICN first class lounge if flying business class or higher after January 1, 2019, and not if flying economy. But the wording as I read it now seems to indicate the new restriction is for those who become lifetime Diamond Plus after January 1, 2019, but members reaching lifetime Diamond Plus before that date can still use the first class lounge even if flying economy. Anyone else interpret it differently? Or anyone can read Korean fluently and can comment on what it says in the Korean version of the rules?
I think you interpreted it correctly:

I tried my hand at a translation without referring to the English:

- If promoted before 2018.12.31:
Highest level lounge (including 1 companion)
- If promoted as of 2019.1.1.: Use next-highest lounge from the ticket held
(including 1 companion)

So basically there's a grandfather clause for anyone reaching Lifetime D+ by the end of the year. Too bad I'm still a few years' of flying off at my current pace...
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:51 am
Original Poster

I just used the Chrome translate function on the Korean page, and the result of the first point is:
Members who have boarded 500,000 miles / 500 times from Diamond Plus members
can use the First Class Lounge at Incheon International Airport . (However, the upgrade is available until 31 December 2018)
That's similar to what I thought I read a few weeks ago when I read the English version, but now it's been changed. That "upgrade" word to me sounds like they're referring to upgrading the lounge you're able to use, from business lounge to first lounge, not being promoted to the appropriate elite status level (lifetime Diamond Plus). It would be interesting to see how a native Korean speaker translates that statement.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:07 am

I just used the Chrome translate function on the Korean page, and the result of the first point is:

That's similar to what I thought I read a few weeks ago when I read the English version, but now it's been changed. That "upgrade" word to me sounds like they're referring to upgrading the lounge you're able to use, from business lounge to first lounge, not being promoted to the appropriate elite status level (lifetime Diamond Plus). It would be interesting to see how a native Korean speaker translates that statement.
What I translated above is from the overview table of benefits. I went to the Korean version of the section you just mentioned.The word "upgrade" is not translated very well. The Korean is "승급" Literally "class/level promotion" and clearly refers to whether you the point at which you reach Lifetime Diamond+.

Edit: I'll leave the above there just to clarify the term "upgrade", but I think I misread your initial question. Maybe I should do my posting when properly awake... Anyway, you're refering to non-OZ Star Alliance flights. In that case, you're right. The Korean version says:
"2018년 7월 1일부터 인천공항 최상위 라운지 이용 우수회원 혜택은 아시아나항공이 운항하는 정기 항공편 탑승 시에만 가능합니다."
"As of 1 July 2018, the elite membership benefit of using the highest class lounge at Incheon Airport will only be possible when boarding regular flights operated by Asiana Airlines."

I didn't see any clarification on either version of how this relates to the other change regarding use of first class lounge in general. My interpretation is that on OZ flights, new Lifetime Diamond Plus members from next year will no longer be able to access the first class lounge on an economy ticket, and any member regardless of when they reached LD+ status will no longer be able to use this benefit when flying another Star Alliance carrier.

Last edited by jon503; Feb 14, 2018 at 7:18 am
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jon503
What I translated above is from the overview table of benefits. I went to the Korean version of the section you just mentioned.The word "upgrade" is not translated very well. The Korean is "승급" Literally "class/level promotion" and clearly refers to whether you the point at which you reach Lifetime Diamond+.
Ok, thanks for that explanation.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:24 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by jon503
I didn't see any clarification on either version of how this relates to the other change regarding use of first class lounge in general. My interpretation is that on OZ flights, new Lifetime Diamond Plus members from next year will no longer be able to access the first class lounge on an economy ticket, and any member regardless of when they reached LD+ status will no longer be able to use this benefit when flying another Star Alliance carrier.
This is how I read this as well. Axing F Class access for *A flights is one thing, for their own metal it is just cheap. It makes the lifetime status very ordinary. I personally would have preferred more benefits with a higher qualification criteria.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
This is how I read this as well. Axing F Class access for *A flights is one thing, for their own metal it is just cheap. It makes the lifetime status very ordinary. I personally would have preferred more benefits with a higher qualification criteria.
Still available for Platinum status, as long as flying OZ.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:46 am
Original Poster

I saw these notices in front of the main concourse OZ F and C lounges:

MEMBERSHIP CARD
Access policy Change for Asiana Lounge
Membership card for lounge access can be used only by Asiana Airlines boarding pass holders.
Effective Date: 01 FEB 2018
That was outside the F lounge, and outside the C lounge it was the same except the effective date was 01 JAN 2018.
Now what exactly they mean by "membership card", I'm not certain. It could mean OZ or any *A gold card. It could also mean Priority Pass, but there was a separate notice regarding Priority Pass outside the C lounge. And Priority Pass members are not allowed in the F lounge under any circumstances, AFAIK. I guess there could be some other membership cards, perhaps local to the Korean market, that allow access to the F and/or C lounges, but I'm not aware of any. Perhaps someone more familiar with Korean credit cards and such has some knowledge if there was one that allowed access the the F lounge that might be the meaning of this. But otherwise, it looks like they're restricting the main concourse lounges to only passengers flying on Asiana flights. I've long heard that they try to steer non-Asiana passengers to the concourse lounges, but haven't enforced it if the passenger insists. Looks like now it's official policy, unless I'm misunderstanding what "membership card" likely means. Also it doesn't mention anything about non-OZ *A C or F boarding passes. They might still be valid in the main concourse lounges.

One other point, I guess airline usage of the main terminal has changed, because I saw a CX flight was departing from a main terminal gate next to where my OZ flight was departing. In the past all foreign airlines were using the concourse terminal. Makes sense since there's now lots of room in the main terminal. But if any *A carriers start using the main terminal, does it mean there won't be a lounge for the *G members to use when flying non-OZ *A?

Well, one good thing is that it shows OZ recognized that the lounges were too full and have taken action to start restricting usage to the passengers that should be using them. Not referring to the F lounge, but the often way overcrowded C lounge.

Last edited by JoeDaejeon; Feb 18, 2018 at 12:58 am Reason: Deleted part of post due to misreading previous post
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:09 am

I saw these notices in front of the main concourse OZ F and C lounges:

That was outside the F lounge, and outside the C lounge it was the same except the effective date was 01 JAN 2018.
No idea about what the meaning of this might be, but clearly many things are changing in T1 as well. I'm on an AC flight next week and will report back on whether the flight takes off from the concourse and what's going on with lounges. In any case, it seems we'll be going through an awkward and confusing transition period for a few months. I do support freeing up the OZ lounge though as long as there still is a decent *A lounge available.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:02 am

1. All Star and OW flights now leave from T1, not Concourse A ,which is now only used by LCCs and ST Chinese carriers.

2. OZ lounges will be the designated lounge for all Star carriers. OZ F lounge will be the lounge for use by *A F passengers.

3. The reference to "membership cards" is Priority Pass-type memberships, not *G status. I also asked myself the same question when I saw it outside the F lounge, and the reason might be because (as far as I know) a couple of invitation-only premium credit cards in Korea grant access to the OZ F lounge.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold
2. OZ lounges will be the designated lounge for all Star carriers. OZ F lounge will be the lounge for use by *A F passengers.
Well that makes sense then why they're trying to limit the number of people in those lounges. If all *A passengers are now at the main terminal, there's no way they could handle the capacity, specifically in the C lounge, while also catering to Priority Pass and whatever other membership cards. Hopefully when they complete their new lounge later this year it'll be able to handle easily the maximum number of passengers.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:15 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Can someone briefly give me some history context? Or correct me if my memories were wrong.

As I remember, once upon a time, Diamond Plus members can use first class lounge just by flying economy. I don't recall it has to be with Asiana or if access is granted to any other Star Alliance.

Then my memory skips to around 2012. A new policy where Diamond plus members can only access lounge ONE-TIER above their ticket. Again, I assume you must be flying Star Alliance. So if I was in business class, I can go to the First Class lounge while if I was in economy class, I can use the business class lounge. I don't recall any separation between Diamond Plus VS Lifetime Diamond Plus regarding lounge access because Lifetime Diamond Plus didn't exist then. The only life-time was Platinum,

Was it also in 2013, Asiana launch life-time Diamond Plus? And I didn't recall any difference in benefits...

So when did there was benefit enhancement where Life-Time Diamond Plus members can enter First Class lounge with economy tickets (like Platinum members)? I feel like I woke up in a comma and missed a few years. I did get 2 upgrade certs when my status renewed for another 2 years in Aug 2015. I used an upgrade to business with he coupon just last year. So there were some changes that happened that those coupons are... gone!?

Back to this year of 2018. To clarify, if you're Diamond Plus Life-time, you can access the First Class lounge when flying any Star Alliance in any class. There is a contradiction or extra restriction saying after July 1 2018, you can access the First Class lounge when flying Asiana in any class.

The screws tighten more starting Jan 1, 2019 for life-time Diamonds, where you can access the lounge one class higher than your ticket (basically the same as non-life-time Diamond Plus members).

Am I getting this right?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by yeunganson
Can someone briefly give me some history context? Or correct me if my memories were wrong.

As I remember, once upon a time, Diamond Plus members can use first class lounge just by flying economy. I don't recall it has to be with Asiana or if access is granted to any other Star Alliance.

Then my memory skips to around 2012. A new policy where Diamond plus members can only access lounge ONE-TIER above their ticket. Again, I assume you must be flying Star Alliance. So if I was in business class, I can go to the First Class lounge while if I was in economy class, I can use the business class lounge. I don't recall any separation between Diamond Plus VS Lifetime Diamond Plus regarding lounge access because Lifetime Diamond Plus didn't exist then. The only life-time was Platinum,

Was it also in 2013, Asiana launch life-time Diamond Plus? And I didn't recall any difference in benefits...

So when did there was benefit enhancement where Life-Time Diamond Plus members can enter First Class lounge with economy tickets (like Platinum members)? I feel like I woke up in a comma and missed a few years. I did get 2 upgrade certs when my status renewed for another 2 years in Aug 2015. I used an upgrade to business with he coupon just last year. So there were some changes that happened that those coupons are... gone!?

Back to this year of 2018. To clarify, if you're Diamond Plus Life-time, you can access the First Class lounge when flying any Star Alliance in any class. There is a contradiction or extra restriction saying after July 1 2018, you can access the First Class lounge when flying Asiana in any class.

The screws tighten more starting Jan 1, 2019 for life-time Diamonds, where you can access the lounge one class higher than your ticket (basically the same as non-life-time Diamond Plus members).

Am I getting this right?

Entry to the F lounge, irrespective of *A class flown was one of the benefits for lifetime D+ when it was introduced. I've always accessed the F lounge at ICN, irrespective of class flown.

Also, when new rules came into effect around 2012, members who had attained D+ status prior to the new rules were allowed access to the F lounge, irrespective of *A class flown. That grandfathering of the previous policy was around until recently, as far as I can recall. But the newly worded policy currently on the website does not state that benefit, although I don't think it will affect anyone, since most would be D+ lifetime by now if they'd maintained D+ level since the change in 2012.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:38 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by sol95
Entry to the F lounge, irrespective of *A class flown was one of the benefits for lifetime D+ when it was introduced. I've always accessed the F lounge at ICN, irrespective of class flown.

Also, when new rules came into effect around 2012, members who had attained D+ status prior to the new rules were allowed access to the F lounge, irrespective of *A class flown. That grandfathering of the previous policy was around until recently, as far as I can recall. But the newly worded policy currently on the website does not state that benefit, although I don't think it will affect anyone, since most would be D+ lifetime by now if they'd maintained D+ level since the change in 2012.
Are they going to do such a complex thing as "grandfather" multiple different Tiers of life-time Diamond Plus members by year of making it? It maybe just simpler to equalize all of them. We'll await reports to see if any life-time diamond flyertalkers is able to get into the F lounge with a economy Star Alliance ticket post July 1, 2018
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sol95
Regular D+, as opposed to lifetime D+, expires at the end of every status period of two years plus additional time remaining after qualification until the new status period starts. So when the policy was changed in 2012, I'm pretty sure that whatever D+ members that were grandfathered in then were only allowed access until their status period finished. After they started a new status period, if they were just D+ and not lifetime, no F lounge access when flying in Y. I can't be certain, but that's how I thought it worked.

If someone recently became an Asiana Club member with the target of becoming lifetime D+ in order to always get F lounge access, but they're still a ways off, then this change in policy will definitely affect them. But for someone who's been continuous D+ since 2012, I guess they'd most likely have achieved the 500K miles for lifetime by now or be very close to it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.