Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Things changed after the opening of Terminal 2 ICN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold

Haven't been to ICN for 2 years. Will travel next week for the first time during the Winter Olympics and after the T2 opens

Just wondering whether there are any improvement/changes with ICN and its lounge. Also, does anyone know whether there are tighten immigration and baggage check during the Winter Olympics?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Haven't been to ICN for 2 years. Will travel next week for the first time during the Winter Olympics and after the T2 opens

Just wondering whether there are any improvement/changes with ICN and its lounge. Also, does anyone know whether there are tighten immigration and baggage check during the Winter Olympics?
There probably will be changes to the lounge with OZ taking over the location of the old T2 KE lounge - but not yet. This process will take several months and for now, things are still the same.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I flew through ICN on OZ a few days ago after transiting from TPE. Transit security took a bit of time. They had signs posted that they were asking for shoes off and electronics out due to the Olympics.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
If you’re exiting into Korea, they have been talking about more bag checks before they come out on the belt. They said to add time into your arrival plans to be safe.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
If you’re exiting into Korea, they have been talking about more bag checks before they come out on the belt. They said to add time into your arrival plans to be safe.
I am having a layover about 6 hours. Probably I will go to the transit tour. Not sure whether it will affect me as I will have little luggage. Will update tomorrow!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:25 am

I asked at the OZ lounge and they said perhaps around June they'll open new business and first class lounges. I noticed that starting the end of this year, lifetime D+ members flying economy will no longer be able to use the F lounge. I'm not sure how many people that will eliminate from the F lounge, but perhaps the new F lounge will be scaled back some.

OZ check-in counters are still the same, but don't know if they'll be any changes in the future related to that. I imagine so when they move their lounges.

Not OZ related, but the limousine buses have changed things around. If you're used to your normal stop, allow a bit extra time as you may need to search for where the new location is.

There's now a KTX limousine bus service from Gwangmyeong KTX station. So anyone coming via KTX from the south can shave some time off their trip. The limousine bus was free when I used it when showing my KTX ticket, but I was told they'll start charging for the bus sometime this month. There's check-in counters at Gwangmyeong station, similar to Seoul station setup. I waited around over an hour for my friend to show up and think I saw a total of six passengers during that time, so it's a breeze to check-in there. The KTX limousine bus runs about every 20 minutes or so, and it took 45 minutes from the station to ICN, and about 50 minutes returning due to it stops in Songdo on the return. I haven't decided if I'll continue to use Gwangmyeong rather than Seoul in the future. If I'm heading to the USA, no choice as they haven't authorized the check-in for USA bound flights from the Gwangmeyong check-in terminal yet. That's supposed to happen later this year. Also for USA flights, I like to change Korean Won to USD at Seoul Station. The KB bank there has the best exchange rate I've found anyplace in Korea, though technically limited to $1000. I've exchanged up to $3,000 though in the past by just using the counter three times. Not sure if they'll stop you or not if they notice. When exchanging that much it pays for my transportation costs from my house to ICN due to the better exchange rate.

My OZ flight into ICN landed at a gate formerly used by KE, and then passport control / baggage claim on the old KE side of the terminal as well.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:32 am

One more things that's changed that I forgot to mention previously. On-board the aircraft the exercise video that's shown near the end of the flight has been changed. I'm sure many of you will be glad to not have to view the old one anymore. I always thought the actors in the old video looked rather strange, almost to the point where I questioned a few times if they were computer generated due to something just seeming a bit off about their facial expressions. In the new video the actors look much more natural. I still though don't need to watch a video about exercise, especially after the flight is almost over.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

hi - sorry to dig up an old post, but I just don't worry bother opening a new one. Just not sure whether these new changes mentioned above are implemented - cos im going to ICN again in 2 weeks.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:45 pm

hi - sorry to dig up an old post, but I just don't worry bother opening a new one. Just not sure whether these new changes mentioned above are implemented - cos im going to ICN again in 2 weeks.
Which specific changes are you referring to?

As for what I mentioned, the lounges have not changed as of last week when I was there, nor have the check-in counters. I didn't notice any other changes related to the opening of T2. However the questioning of passengers heading to the USA has now been implemented. They asked me a question when I checked in, put a blank small sticky note on my passport, then checked for it's presence when boarding. That was the only difference I noticed.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDaejeon

As for what I mentioned, the lounges have not changed as of last week when I was there, nor have the check-in counters. I didn't notice any other changes related to the opening of T2. However the questioning of passengers heading to the USA has now been implemented. They asked me a question when I checked in, put a blank small sticky note on my passport, then checked for it's presence when boarding. That was the only difference I noticed.
Just wondering whether there's any news on the lounge. Thanks for updating me!
Old May 29, 2018, 10:34 pm

Just wondering whether there's any news on the lounge. Thanks for updating me!
In T2 lounge right now 1:33pm local time and it's packed.

Very limited alcohol selection. Pretty limited food selection.

Terminal seems very busy.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by JoeDaejeon

​​​​​​Yeah the TSA questioning is new. I check in at COEX and the questioning was done there then a straight shot thru immigration. Now it seems you have to stop at a counter in the terminal. for the questions.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Is that a difference? They always asked for my residency status in the US at check-in and before boarding. Didn't notice the blank sticky note neither. But maybe I was just tired.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:46 am

Apologies for the newbie question, but I thought OZ stays in T1. I can't find anything to the contrary on the web. What am I missing?
Old May 30, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin
Is that a difference? They always asked for my residency status in the US at check-in and before boarding. Didn't notice the blank sticky note neither. But maybe I was just tired.
That's strange, I've never in the past been asked about my residency status at either check-in or before boarding. Do you have a USA passport? If not, perhaps that's the reason for that.

This new change, with OZ conducting the security interview for USA bound passengers was implemented on April 25, 2018. Was your last USA bound flight on or after that date? The sticky attached to your passport is quite small, and when they put it on, they inform you that you can remove it after you board the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.