Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana restricts lounge access for Priority Pass members finally

Asiana restricts lounge access for Priority Pass members finally

Reply

Old Jan 29, 18, 7:13 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: OZ Gold
Posts: 90
Wink Asiana restricts lounge access for Priority Pass members finally

Has this already been discussed? Nevertheless it is good news for all Asiana Club members.

Asiana limits Priority Pass lounge access to their own passengers

Asiana is the latest airline to make a move to minimize crowding at their lounges. Since January 1st, Priority Pass members can only use Asiana Lounges when flying Asiana. The airline operates eight lounges in South Korea, including two popular flagship Business Class lounges at Seoul’s Incheon airport. Other lounges are located at Gimpo, Busan, and Jeju Island airports.

On the one hand, Asiana’s move is reasonable—the compromise allows the airline to mitigate crowding without impacting their own customers—while on the other hand, it undermines the value of Priority Pass, which is supposed to be agnostic to members’ airline choices.

Source: https://loungereview.com/asiana-rest...-pass-members/
flyingkid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 18, 9:39 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: MPC GR
Posts: 151
This happened because the lounge was found to be in violation of local laws regarding food service licencing, evidently if you're going to be serving food and drink to PP card holders not flying on OZ you have to be registered as a restaurant.
corbomite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 18, 12:51 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: OZ Gold
Posts: 90
Oh yes totally forgot about that but interestingly PP members can still gain access to the KAL lounges, according to the article.
flyingkid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 18, 2:08 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, TrueBlue, SkyPesos
Posts: 1,046
Heard about this last month somewhere. Not a huge loss for PP members, as there are a lot of equally mediocre options still available no matter who you're flying.
zeer0 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 18, 3:08 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; VA Silver; HH Diamond; Accor Gold
Posts: 831
Originally Posted by corbomite View Post
This happened because the lounge was found to be in violation of local laws regarding food service licencing, evidently if you're going to be serving food and drink to PP card holders not flying on OZ you have to be registered as a restaurant.
Does this mean the issue before was specifically because of PP entrants not flying OZ? And does this then mean that OZ lounges can now improve their food offerings?

Not holding my breath, but I do hope so!
sol95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 18, 9:49 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by sol95 View Post
Does this mean the issue before was specifically because of PP entrants not flying OZ? And does this then mean that OZ lounges can now improve their food offerings?

Not holding my breath, but I do hope so!
My understanding is that Asiana just restricted the access to non-OZ flyers. There is no specific intend to improve the food offering, whatever that could mean...
Gasolin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 18, 5:21 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: MPC GR
Posts: 151
Originally Posted by sol95 View Post
Does this mean the issue before was specifically because of PP entrants not flying OZ? And does this then mean that OZ lounges can now improve their food offerings?

Not holding my breath, but I do hope so!
LOL no we're talking about a airline that doesn't bother to fix a broken lav in their J lounge for several months because they'll be moving soon
corbomite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 18, 8:16 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; VA Silver; HH Diamond; Accor Gold
Posts: 831
Originally Posted by corbomite View Post
LOL no we're talking about a airline that doesn't bother to fix a broken lav in their J lounge for several months because they'll be moving soon
I haven't been in the OZ J lounge for many a year, and not likely to go in anytime soon since I have access to the F lounge. Food there (like the J lounge) could definitely be better...
sol95 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 18, 12:52 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NorCal
Posts: 655
Lol, great news for me. I have a LONG layover at ICN and didn't think I'd have lounge access anywhere. At least I can pop into the Asiana lounge since I am flying them.
codex57 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 19, 12:14 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Posts: 11
We were just at Incheon last month and they denied entry to myself, my wife, and our young son to the business class lounge despite the fact that we had outgoing Asiana boarding passes and a PP membership from Amex Platinum. So this is even more restrictive than the earlier restrictions. We attempted to get into one of the other PP lounges and they would let us in but they were so crowded we decided to just go to a regular restaurant before our flight back to the US.
synzero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 12:15 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Posts: 1,641
Originally Posted by synzero View Post
We were just at Incheon last month and they denied entry to myself, my wife, and our young son to the business class lounge despite the fact that we had outgoing Asiana boarding passes and a PP membership from Amex Platinum. So this is even more restrictive than the earlier restrictions. We attempted to get into one of the other PP lounges and they would let us in but they were so crowded we decided to just go to a regular restaurant before our flight back to the US.
Outgoing BP in what class???? PP doesn't matter what card it is, where it's from - they cut them all off.
mikesaidyes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 9:27 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
Outgoing BP in what class???? PP doesn't matter what card it is, where it's from - they cut them all off.
Supposedly the move was to restrict PP members to only those with an outgoing Asiana boarding pass. But in our case we had an outgoing Asiana boarding pass... they restricted us anyway.

Yes, it was economy, but the PP restriction was supposedly about having any boarding pass, not just business class or above.
synzero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 1:02 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: AUH
Posts: 7,328
Did they tell you why? It's entirely possible that OZ rejected access due to lack of space, if it was at a peak departure period. They are entitled to do that.
stargold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 19, 1:40 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
Posts: 1,641
Originally Posted by synzero View Post


Supposedly the move was to restrict PP members to only those with an outgoing Asiana boarding pass. But in our case we had an outgoing Asiana boarding pass... they restricted us anyway.

Yes, it was economy, but the PP restriction was supposedly about having any boarding pass, not just business class or above.
I made a mistake. You are correct - according to their PP holder with Asiana pass can be let in, but as the other person said, it was presumably peak time (early morning before US departures, early afternoon before evening SE Asia bank of departures). https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/travel...04090000731958
mikesaidyes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 19, 1:51 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 80,271
The whole point of PP is supposedly that one can use lounges regardless of the carrier one is flying (or the cabin class, FF status, etc.).
MSPeconomist is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread