Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana restricts lounge access for Priority Pass members finally

Asiana restricts lounge access for Priority Pass members finally

Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond / Star Alliance Gold
Wink Asiana restricts lounge access for Priority Pass members finally

Has this already been discussed? Nevertheless it is good news for all Asiana Club members.

Asiana limits Priority Pass lounge access to their own passengers

Asiana is the latest airline to make a move to minimize crowding at their lounges. Since January 1st, Priority Pass members can only use Asiana Lounges when flying Asiana. The airline operates eight lounges in South Korea, including two popular flagship Business Class lounges at Seoul’s Incheon airport. Other lounges are located at Gimpo, Busan, and Jeju Island airports.

On the one hand, Asiana’s move is reasonable—the compromise allows the airline to mitigate crowding without impacting their own customers—while on the other hand, it undermines the value of Priority Pass, which is supposed to be agnostic to members’ airline choices.

Source: https://loungereview.com/asiana-rest...-pass-members/
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
This happened because the lounge was found to be in violation of local laws regarding food service licencing, evidently if you're going to be serving food and drink to PP card holders not flying on OZ you have to be registered as a restaurant.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond / Star Alliance Gold
Oh yes totally forgot about that but interestingly PP members can still gain access to the KAL lounges, according to the article.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Heard about this last month somewhere. Not a huge loss for PP members, as there are a lot of equally mediocre options still available no matter who you're flying.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corbomite
This happened because the lounge was found to be in violation of local laws regarding food service licencing, evidently if you're going to be serving food and drink to PP card holders not flying on OZ you have to be registered as a restaurant.
Does this mean the issue before was specifically because of PP entrants not flying OZ? And does this then mean that OZ lounges can now improve their food offerings?

Not holding my breath, but I do hope so!
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by sol95
Does this mean the issue before was specifically because of PP entrants not flying OZ? And does this then mean that OZ lounges can now improve their food offerings?

My understanding is that Asiana just restricted the access to non-OZ flyers. There is no specific intend to improve the food offering, whatever that could mean...
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by sol95

LOL no we're talking about a airline that doesn't bother to fix a broken lav in their J lounge for several months because they'll be moving soon
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corbomite
LOL no we're talking about a airline that doesn't bother to fix a broken lav in their J lounge for several months because they'll be moving soon
I haven't been in the OZ J lounge for many a year, and not likely to go in anytime soon since I have access to the F lounge. Food there (like the J lounge) could definitely be better...
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:52 pm

Lol, great news for me. I have a LONG layover at ICN and didn't think I'd have lounge access anywhere. At least I can pop into the Asiana lounge since I am flying them.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
We were just at Incheon last month and they denied entry to myself, my wife, and our young son to the business class lounge despite the fact that we had outgoing Asiana boarding passes and a PP membership from Amex Platinum. So this is even more restrictive than the earlier restrictions. We attempted to get into one of the other PP lounges and they would let us in but they were so crowded we decided to just go to a regular restaurant before our flight back to the US.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by synzero
We were just at Incheon last month and they denied entry to myself, my wife, and our young son to the business class lounge despite the fact that we had outgoing Asiana boarding passes and a PP membership from Amex Platinum. So this is even more restrictive than the earlier restrictions. We attempted to get into one of the other PP lounges and they would let us in but they were so crowded we decided to just go to a regular restaurant before our flight back to the US.
Outgoing BP in what class???? PP doesn't matter what card it is, where it's from - they cut them all off.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Outgoing BP in what class???? PP doesn't matter what card it is, where it's from - they cut them all off.
Supposedly the move was to restrict PP members to only those with an outgoing Asiana boarding pass. But in our case we had an outgoing Asiana boarding pass... they restricted us anyway.

Yes, it was economy, but the PP restriction was supposedly about having any boarding pass, not just business class or above.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:02 pm

Did they tell you why? It's entirely possible that OZ rejected access due to lack of space, if it was at a peak departure period. They are entitled to do that.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by synzero

Supposedly the move was to restrict PP members to only those with an outgoing Asiana boarding pass. But in our case we had an outgoing Asiana boarding pass... they restricted us anyway.

Yes, it was economy, but the PP restriction was supposedly about having any boarding pass, not just business class or above.
I made a mistake. You are correct - according to their PP holder with Asiana pass can be let in, but as the other person said, it was presumably peak time (early morning before US departures, early afternoon before evening SE Asia bank of departures). https://flyasiana.com/C/US/EN/travel...04090000731958
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The whole point of PP is supposedly that one can use lounges regardless of the carrier one is flying (or the cabin class, FF status, etc.).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.