Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Asiana swaps A350 for A380 for OZ 203/204, LAX <--> ICN After 4/30/2018

Old Jan 22, 18, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Asiana is changing the equipment for OZ 203/204, effective 4/30/2018. OZ 203 is the redeye from LAX --> ICN, OZ 204 is the redeye from ICN --> LAX. Right now they're using an A380, but going forward, an A350. Other changes for ORD <--> ICN, HNL <--> ICN, and SFO <--> ICN at the link.
Old Jan 23, 18, 12:57 am

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
Leaves off HNL-ICN changes for March 2018, which include A330 service.
Old Jan 23, 18, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Frankly, I was surprised to find out about this as I did, which was by clicking a link in a generic email they sent. Last year, we booked flights on Asiana scheduled after 4/30, expecting the A380. They rebooked us into new seats, and didn't inform us of this change, at least that I am aware. Mrs. Zippy is on the phone with them right now, as the Asiana Web site was giving us errors when we attempted to confirm the change there and reselect our seats.
Old Jan 24, 18, 5:16 pm

This page is helpful.

I was affected by the SFO change. Didn't have anything on the website at the time IIRC. I just got some weird e-mail to call them. They were trying to make me take a later flight, but luckily I got them to give me the red eye the day before so I still end up at my destination on the same day, although I've got a REALLY long layover as I've got the same connecting flight.
Old Jan 24, 18, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
[...]I've got a REALLY long layover as I've got the same connecting flight.
Transit tour? Probably better than spending hours in the airport.

Changing to the A350 meant there were some extended-legroom economy "smartium" seats available, so we went for them. $150 each, for one way. Considering that we're flying on miles, paying a little more than $10/hour for that seemed not so bad.

Last edited by zippy the pinhead; Jan 24, 18 at 9:10 pm Reason: Added comment
Old Jan 25, 18, 1:09 pm

Online, the only transit tour in English is too long. But I'm told they keep some for walk ups so I'll just have to check when I arrive. They have a ton for Japanese and Chinese speakers so I'm hoping they had some for English but got booked up, but will have space still for walkups.

Good move on the upgrade. I would have done that if it was just me and the wife, but with the whole family, it starts getting pricey. We have two aisle seats so I can always stretch my legs out into the aisle as needed. My kids don't take up much room so it's not too bad for the parents.

I wonder if the move from an a380 to a350 is a good or bad thing. We have a friend meeting us there from LAX, but our trip is right before the scheduled change. I guess she'll be on the "old" a380.
Old Jan 25, 18, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Actually we're splitting the team for our trip, because of how we had the miles spread around. It will be Mrs. Zippy and one of our little cherubs on OZ, and myself with the other little cherub on KE. We've done that before, and it was OK. So Mrs. Zippy scored the upgrade. We had booked J for the return, and happily OZ put Mrs. Zippy in J on the A350, though the seats they (OZ) picked on both legs were what I'd regard as inferior, compared to what we had selected on the A380, and we did have the hassle of a couple three calls to get the A350 seating finalized.

Regarding which is better, I can't speak from personal experience, but from what I see, the A350 ain't so bad.

TPG on OZ A350 (lots of pics)
Airliners.net thread on OZ A350 (more pics)

According to the TPG piece, there is in-flight WiFi on the A350, which might be good for some.
Old Jan 25, 18, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
Online, the only transit tour in English is too long. But I'm told they keep some for walk ups so I'll just have to check when I arrive. They have a ton for Japanese and Chinese speakers so I'm hoping they had some for English but got booked up, but will have space still for walkups.
If I had to choose between hours in ICN or a tour in some language other than English, I'd probably just do the tour and enjoy the sights/experience, if nothing is available for walkups. In truth, I've never done one of these tours in any language, but does the language really matter? You get out and about, and maybe it's not so awful if you can't understand a word of what the tour guide is saying. Even if I did understand, I might be inclined to pop in some earbuds and listed to music or whatever; a few years ago I did the Koridoor JSA/DMZ tour and there was a group behind us on the bus who jabbered incessantly for practically the whole bus ride, even when the tour guide was jabbering incessantly.

I don't know if they have a waiting list for these tours, but I would guess the flake-out rate is significant enough (people value what they pay for) that you probably can get an English-based tour on the spot.
Old Jan 25, 18, 2:22 pm

There's supposed to be a waiting list, but I do imagine the flake out rate is pretty high. Probably why they reserve only half for online.

You do make an interesting suggestion about just joining one of the other tours. I'll have to think about which group I should join. Both have their pros and cons for me.
Old Jan 25, 18, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead View Post
Oh sweet baby Jesus, that description about Asiana's bibimbap...
Old Jan 25, 18, 5:34 pm

Where's the A380 being moved to?
Old Jan 26, 18, 11:55 am

Oh no more first class suites now
Old Feb 7, 18, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
I was looking to fly from PVG through ICN back to LAX Nov 2, 2018 expecting to be on the A380, Business Class. This is a Friday departure. Will this now be the A350?

My other option is to fly on Eva 777-300ER

How does the 2 compare?
Old Feb 8, 18, 1:20 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
Originally Posted by cajunguy View Post
I was looking to fly from PVG through ICN back to LAX Nov 2, 2018 expecting to be on the A380, Business Class. This is a Friday departure. Will this now be the A350?

My other option is to fly on Eva 777-300ER

How does the 2 compare?
If you're in business class I would take BR over OZ any day.
royng and bizum like this.
Old Feb 8, 18, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
Originally Posted by slimjin View Post
If you're in business class I would take BR over OZ any day.
Eva does look really nice. Thanks!

**Just checked United's website for the date we want to fly home. Eva(BR) is not on the schedule, Asiana(OZ) is. Guess that settles that.

Last edited by cajunguy; Feb 8, 18 at 7:00 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: