Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Security at ICN for US bound flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.

We are flying ICN-LAX in mid December. Should we expect any recent changes in security for flights bound for the US? I am mainly concerned with i-Pads and laptop computers. We originate in HKG and connect through ICN, so our bags will not be available in ICN to store such items if they are banned when boarding. Thanks for any insights.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by CalRef
We are flying ICN-LAX in mid December. Should we expect any recent changes in security for flights bound for the US? I am mainly concerned with i-Pads and laptop computers. We originate in HKG and connect through ICN, so our bags will not be available in ICN to store such items if they are banned when boarding. Thanks for any insights.
Nope, there never has been anything related to tablets and laptops and besides OZ managed to defer the date for implementing increased questioning on US flights to sometime next year.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I just did this route on 11/12. I was selected for secondary screening on boarding at ICN. First time it happened to me in five trips in last two years. I was asked if I had any electronics in my carry-on and I indicated my laptop. They made me power on my laptop and swabbed the keyboard and exterior. That was it. It took less than five minutes. Other than that, there were no difference from prior trips.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
Thanks. Looks like no changes or concerns.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Thanks. Looks like no changes or concerns.
The only change I heard about - but haven't seen yet myself - is that security questions are asked at check-in for passengers with non-US passports. This could make lines a bit longer/slower moving at check-in, but otherwise shouldn't have a major impact apart from being annoying.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by jon503
The only change I heard about - but haven't seen yet myself - is that security questions are asked at check-in for passengers with non-US passports. This could make lines a bit longer/slower moving at check-in, but otherwise shouldn't have a major impact apart from being annoying.
We are asked while lining up for check-in, meaning there's really no impact on the speed at checking in. Also, everyone regardless of the citizenship are being questioned.

Once OZ and KE begin the same process, transfer passengers will be questioned while boarding. Step aside from boarding line for it, very likely. Language barrier might incur SSSS, which the airlines need to come up with a better system.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
We are asked while lining up for check-in, meaning there's really no impact on the speed at checking in. Also, everyone regardless of the citizenship are being questioned.

Once OZ and KE begin the same process, transfer passengers will be questioned while boarding. Step aside from boarding line for it, very likely. Language barrier might incur SSSS, which the airlines need to come up with a better system.
Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience, that's good to know. I wonder how the system will develop.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Basically, Koreans FLIPPED OUT when the local media said "now you have to be here 3-5 hours before." So they do the questioning while waiting for the check-in line now for airlines that are subject to the new rules.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
One data point — just flew HND-ICN-JFK and no extra security or questioning etc; nothing at check-in nor at transit security nor at boarding.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by truncated
One data point — just flew HND-ICN-JFK and no extra security or questioning etc; nothing at check-in nor at transit security nor at boarding.
Same - recently did HKG-ICN-SFO and there was absolutely nothing extra for anyone that I noticed.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by truncated
Originally Posted by D582
Same - recently did HKG-ICN-SFO and there was absolutely nothing extra for anyone that I noticed.
Asiana didn't begin the secured process yet. Only LCCs and US carriers are doing it at ICN at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.