Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loss of status + miles expiration

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Loss of status + miles expiration

I will be losing my lowly silver status next year. The main benefit of this is the 10 year life for miles (plus a free checked bag on domestic flights). I believe the expiration drops to 5 years with no status, so should I assume that any miles I have that are over 5 years old will disappear on the same day that I lose status?

If my status (and miles) expire in February, will I have any issues booking a flight for November as long as it is ticketed before the expiration date? I would hope that the expiration date is for redeeming, not actually flying, but I would like to make sure.

I already have several flights booked on non *A airlines that will eat up my vacation time, so a mileage run is out of the question. My only *A flight before the expiration is a flight this week on Air New Zealand, but it was an ultra low promotional fare that will not earn any miles on a partner airline. I have a miles-earning TATL ANZ flight next summer, but that will be too late to extend my status.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes - just need to redeem miles before they expire. Date of travel can be later. Note you won't be able to cancel and get a refund if past the expiry date.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by downinit
I will be losing my lowly silver status next year. The main benefit of this is the 10 year life for miles (plus a free checked bag on domestic flights). I believe the expiration drops to 5 years with no status, so should I assume that any miles I have that are over 5 years old will disappear on the same day that I lose status?

If my status (and miles) expire in February, will I have any issues booking a flight for November as long as it is ticketed before the expiration date? I would hope that the expiration date is for redeeming, not actually flying, but I would like to make sure.

I already have several flights booked on non *A airlines that will eat up my vacation time, so a mileage run is out of the question. My only *A flight before the expiration is a flight this week on Air New Zealand, but it was an ultra low promotional fare that will not earn any miles on a partner airline. I have a miles-earning TATL ANZ flight next summer, but that will be too late to extend my status.
The expiration date associated with any miles is determined when the miles are earned. So if you are Diamond and earned miles now, they would expire 12 years from now even if your status dropped in the meantime.

Silver status is actually the base status in Asiana Club, you can't go lower than that; I think what you mean to say is that you will drop from Asiana Club Gold (*S) to Asiana Club Silver (no status). In that case, there is no change in mileage expiry. The mileage expiry is 12 years for Diamond and above and 10 years for everyone else.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold

Mile expiry is 10 years for both Asiana gold (*S) and Asiana silver (no status). So your miles will not change at all, and will expire at the same time as before.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Yes, I did mean Asiana Gold/* Silver. I have actually not flown Asiana since I got the status due to ridiculously cheap ANA airfare being offered for the last few years on my TPAC flights, so it has only been * Silver for me. Good to know about the 10 years for everyone. I thought I had read somewhere that they expire at 5 years. I guess its time to stop sniffing glue.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Yes, I did mean Asiana Gold/* Silver. I have actually not flown Asiana since I got the status due to ridiculously cheap ANA airfare being offered for the last few years on my TPAC flights, so it has only been * Silver for me. Good to know about the 10 years for everyone. I thought I had read somewhere that they expire at 5 years. I guess its time to stop sniffing glue.
ANA earns 30% for their lowest fares on Asiana Club, not great but still something.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes - just need to redeem miles before they expire. Date of travel can be later. Note you won't be able to cancel and get a refund if past the expiry date.
Asiana mailed me overnight to let me know my 11k miles, earned in 2005, are still in my account. As they have done for every month in the past 12.5 years....

I am guessing miles earned before a certain date don't expire at all?

EDIT: the mail contained the info I needed http://us.flyasiana.com/C/en/boardCo...&boardCmd=VIEW
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Asiana mailed me overnight to let me know my 11k miles, earned in 2005, are still in my account. As they have done for every month in the past 12.5 years....

I am guessing miles earned before a certain date don't expire at all?

EDIT: the mail contained the info I needed http://us.flyasiana.com/C/en/boardCo...&boardCmd=VIEW
yeah, miles earned before the start of the new program do not expire.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by sol95
yeah, miles earned before the start of the new program do not expire.
And that date is Sep (?) 2008, if memory serves

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.