Wiki Posts
Search

CX First or OZ First?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA G CX S AS G DL PM
CX First or OZ First?

Ahh...Is CX F a safer(better) option than OZ F on 380? I have been on CX F a lot of times and it is very VERY consistent which I LOVE, is OZ worth a try given the arrival time is not as good as CX for my connection... Some recommendations? Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:18 am

If you haven't tried it, why not be adventurous? I don't know about you, but trying new carriers and new premium cabins is something I enjoy. Even if they fail miserably, at least it's an experience.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:43 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
OZ F is really good. I have limited experience with CX F, but I would not hesitate to book OZ F. CX lounges are better, though. You cannot even compare The Pier or The Wing with OZ F-class lounge - CX is in a different league.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Assuming routings are equivalent, I would pick CX every time (unless I just wanted to try something new). It's safer and more reliable. Much better AVOD too. And the seat is more comfortable, though obviously you have more privacy in the OZ F suite with a closing door.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:33 am

I flew OZ for the first time in first recently. And two weeks later CX.

OZ has rather limited videos, unless you understand Korean. CX is much better.
OZ food isn't as horrible as KE, but it isn't that good either. CX has a much bigger selection of snacks as well.

OZ flight attendants speak decent English, as far as east Asian airlines go. But you can't have a conversation with them in English like you can with CX attendants. OZ flight attendants also aren't as attentive/responsive as Japanese airlines.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
If caviar is important for you, I would go with OZ First.

CX serves a cheaper type of caviar compared to OZ.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:14 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I've done both of these and I think that CX has the edge.

The service is much more polished and the wines are exceptional. I'm looking forward to my next CX First Flight, whereas OZ is "been there and done that", with no need to do it again.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
I have flown CX F multiple times and just tried OZ F A380 within the past week.

CX is still my top choice based on my one OZ experience (which may be an outlier).

I was on OZ204 which is a 840pm departure from ICN. The cabin crew were nice and friendly, however, perhaps it is assumed people want to have the meal quickly to sleep because I felt the service to be rushed. After reading so many stellar trip reports I wanted to have that same OZ experience, but it just wasn't there. I will say that the food was very good and plentiful, and the crew were very nice. I also liked the size of the suite and the large monitor.

I want to give OZ another try in the future, for perhaps my recent experience was an outlier.

Last edited by TWAforever; Apr 18, 2017 at 4:27 am Reason: additional detail
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Just keep in mind that OZ has been on a cost cutting spree in F ... the wine list has been massively downgraded. I feel confident that CX would be a better experience but I do see the appeal in trying something new just for the sake of it.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Just keep in mind that OZ has been on a cost cutting spree in F ... the wine list has been massively downgraded. I feel confident that CX would be a better experience but I do see the appeal in trying something new just for the sake of it.
Agreed. I flew F in suites in January of this year and they were serving a $30-40 bottle of champagne in first after take off. They do offer a premium champagne, but apparently they only stock the F cabin with 1-2 bottles (very cheap of OZ to do this, especially for a fully booked F cabin like the one I flew on) and when it was time for meal service, the bottles were consumed at the gate according to the FA.

I brought this up to OZ voice of customer and I found their customer service to be very disappointing and also dishonest. They did not believe me when I said the F cabin had no premium champagne after take off. They even told me that they "confirmed" with the crew on my actual flight, that the premium champagne was available in flight and they even had a leftover bottle after the flight. This was simply untrue, unless the FA on the flight was selectively serving the champagne to preferred customers... I was very turned off by their customer service and will try to avoid flying them in the future.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply! I decided to change my itinerary to fit my time schedule.... decided to fly LAX-HND on NH F... first time on NH F - hope it would be good! for return I would stick with CX HKG-LAX. OZ for another time!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by b.xiao
Thanks for the reply! I decided to change my itinerary to fit my time schedule.... decided to fly LAX-HND on NH F... first time on NH F - hope it would be good! for return I would stick with CX HKG-LAX. OZ for another time!
LAX-HND on NH F isn't really worth it — it's a redeye so the service is reduced significantly — e.g. check out the menu for LAX-HND, you don't have a full meal service and in fact you get just a light breakfast before landing: http://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/gu...f_201703_m.pdf

Compare it to LAX-NRT, for example: http://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/gu...f_201703_m.pdf

Would switch to LAX-NRT if possible, or even OZ F LAX-ICN would be better I think. (Also have you considered SQ F LAX-ICN?)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I have not flown CX in many years and even then only in business, so I cannot comment on their first class.

I flew Asiana this week for the first time, JFK to Seoul in first, then Seoul to Hong Kong in business.

I was very pleased with Asiana's first class product. I don't drink when I fly so I can't comment. I thought the first class suite was really nice, and very comfortable. A small step up from Korean Air. On a 14 hour flight there is nothing more important than the seat.

The service was excellent, there were only 6 passengers in first class and 3 flight attendants who could not do enough for us. The level of English was fine.

The food was good. FAR superior to Korean Air. The first meal was a 5 course affair, including caviar service. I did not have the second meal, instead I had a bowl of ramen noodles which were actually quite good.

The first class lounge in Seoul was also nice and comfortable, a step up from Korean Air.

All in all I was very pleased with Asiana and would fly them again without hesitation.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by truncated
LAX-HND on NH F isn't really worth it — it's a redeye so the service is reduced significantly — e.g. check out the menu for LAX-HND, you don't have a full meal service and in fact you get just a light breakfast before landing: http://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/gu...f_201703_m.pdf

Compare it to LAX-NRT, for example: http://www.ana.co.jp/int/inflight/gu...f_201703_m.pdf

Would switch to LAX-NRT if possible, or even OZ F LAX-ICN would be better I think. (Also have you considered SQ F LAX-ICN?)
Unfortunately that have to waitlist on SQ7. Would you think LH F is better than NH F?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

How does NH F(with ANA suite lounge)+SQ F(HND-SIN) compare with LH F(with MUC FCL)+CX F(HND-HKG)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.