Wiki Posts
Search

First or Bus seat on med haul 747?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
First or Bus seat on med haul 747?

I'm booked in 2A on a ICN to HKG leg on a 747. This is a business ticket and while 2A is a first class seat, it provides business class level service. I've never flown in the upper deck of a 747 before (and likely never will again). Any recommendations if I should stay in my throne in first or move and get a regular bus seat upstairs? The downside is bus is 2 x 2 while first is 1x1. I'm solo and a fairly short daytime flight, so not planning to sleep.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I'm booked in 2A on a ICN to HKG leg on a 747. This is a business ticket and while 2A is a first class seat, it provides business class level service. I've never flown in the upper deck of a 747 before (and likely never will again). Any recommendations if I should stay in my throne in first or move and get a regular bus seat upstairs? The downside is bus is 2 x 2 while first is 1x1. I'm solo and a fairly short daytime flight, so not planning to sleep.
I love the upper deck on the 747 because it tends to be more quiet there is something about going up those stairs in a plane. That said, however, the OZ 747 do not have fully flat reclining seats in C, but I believe they do in F. On ICN-HKG, the seat recline might not be that relevant to you, but just make sure you take into that into consideration.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 4:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The 747 nose is also fairly quiet
Old Mar 11, 2017, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Maybe I'll stick to the nose after all. Hopefully I can visit the upstairs cabin surfing the flight to use the lavs for example.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:30 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I think they are both arguably cool experiences.

In First, you're in the pointy nose of the plane.

In upper deck, hey you're upstairs.

Both area cool but I'd probably take the first "in the nose" experience since you'll likely fly upstairs on a plane (A380 for example) in the future if you really want to.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I actually flew in the nose a long time ago. Actually i think it may have been in the first row. It was in the Wardair days (an amazing Canadian charter who was later bought by Canadian Airlines and then merged with AC. Wardair only offered Economy and depending on how early you checked in (way before online checkin or internet), you could ask to be seated upstairs or downstairs. I ended up getting the nose against the wall which meant starring at a wall (no IFE) and too close to the movie screen, for a 8 Hr night flight to Paris.

I was young (18) and didn't know better back then.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Anyhow, my flight switched to a 333, so this is no longer an option. (This particular flight has switched a few times between a 744 to 333 since I booked it, so who knows what will happen by the time I fly). I'll keep 2A to ensure I remain in the Business cabin
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
While first on Asiana 747-400s is hardly state of the art, it's leagues better than the angled business seats on the plane.

Sit in 2A, and ask an attendant for a tour of the upper deck (the flight deck is upstairs, and passengers generally don't wander up there).
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

The plane is switched back to a 330, so don't have this "problem" anymore. Asiana has switched equipment a few times since I booked, so maybe I'll go back to a 747 again, but even if not, it's no big deal, it's not a long flight at all (something like 3 hours from ICN to HKG), so not a problem if it's angled flat. I don't plan to sleep on this morning flight.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I am booking an F itin JFK-ICN-HKG, appears they are only offering J on the 747. Is this an issue of saver space not being open, or are they selling the seats in the nose as biz and you get the F seat with J service? If i'm connecting from an OZ F flight should I be able to get one of the F seats in the nose? Last time I was in the nose of an OZ 744 I was the only passenger, was a lovely flight.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I am booking an F itin JFK-ICN-HKG, appears they are only offering J on the 747. Is this an issue of saver space not being open, or are they selling the seats in the nose as biz and you get the F seat with J service? If i'm connecting from an OZ F flight should I be able to get one of the F seats in the nose? Last time I was in the nose of an OZ 744 I was the only passenger, was a lovely flight.
with 3000+ posts, you're obviously not new to the forum, so you should know how to search instead of just throwing a question out there...especially when it's a very common question.

F seats on flights sold as 2 class are usually either blocked off entirely, or only available to revenue passengers, and not to award tickets.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Not quite accurate...my award redemption on the Asiana ICN > HKG leg was originally on a 744 and I was able to select 2A which was in the lower (F) cabin. (They have since made an equipment change to a 333). So it's possible to select a seat in the F section on award tickets.. I made my redemption through Aeroplan, if that makes a difference, but selected my seats via Asiana directly.

I'm surprised the JFK flight is 2 class though. I thought they only had them on short hauls.

Last edited by wysiwyg; Mar 28, 2017 at 5:17 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Not quite accurate...my award redemption on the Asiana ICN > HKG leg was originally on a 744 and I was able to select 2A which was in the lower (F) cabin. (They have since made an equipment change to a 333). So it's possible to select a seat in the F section on award tickets.. I made my redemption through Aeroplan, if that makes a difference, but selected my seats via Asiana directly.
Originally Posted by sol95

F seats on flights sold as 2 class are usually either blocked off entirely, or only available to revenue passengers, and not to award tickets.
Which is why I wrote "usually" and not "always"

Last edited by sol95; Mar 28, 2017 at 5:34 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
I'm surprised the JFK flight is 2 class though. I thought they only had them on short hauls.
OZ JFK-ICN is 3 class service on their flagship A380 metal.

SL
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many

JFK-ICN is 3 class A388, ICN-HKG is 744 and appears to be sold as 2 class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.