Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Asiana | Asiana Club
Reload this Page >

Sciatica Hip Pain Sufferer Advice on Seats

Sciatica Hip Pain Sufferer Advice on Seats

Old Mar 9, 17, 10:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Programs: N/A
Posts: 678
Sciatica Hip Pain Sufferer Advice on Seats

Hello all,

My girlfriend suffers from mild sciatica and my flight which will take me from Jakarta to New York via Seoul will certainly be a bit more comfortable and bearable with an extra seat or two between us. I understand this is 'gaming' the system a bit but I would certainly appreciate any guidance in choosing a seat, as business class is a bit out of our budget.


Our flight is as follows:
Jakarta -> Seoul - March 22 (Wednesday ) 11:50PM
Seoul -> New York - March 23 (Thursday) 11:10AM flight.

Given the load below, we have selected the following seats.



Could anyone advise on how full these flights usually are and if I am making the best choice for our potential needs.

Thank You
JBG89 is offline  
Old Mar 9, 17, 11:25 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; VA Gold; HH Diamond; Accor Gold
Posts: 885
on your ICN-JFK flight, you've chosen upper-deck seats. You're not likely to get two spares there, as a lot of people try to get seated in the upper-deck on the A380. So even if the flight is not full, chances are the upper deck will be full.

My suggesting is to try for row 58-60.

Also, do you have any status with a *G airline, or maybe even OZ? If you do have status, they'll usually block off the seat next to yours if you ask at check-in. mind you, it's not guaranteed, but I've usually been able to fly with a row to myself on most flights in Y.
sol95 is offline  
Old Mar 10, 17, 2:49 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seoul
Programs: OZ Diamond, UA, AF
Posts: 508
Originally Posted by sol95 View Post
Also, do you have any status with a *G airline, or maybe even OZ? If you do have status, they'll usually block off the seat next to yours if you ask at check-in. mind you, it's not guaranteed, but I've usually been able to fly with a row to myself on most flights in Y.
I second this advice. I make sure to ask about whether the seat next to me has been filled at check in every time and politely request that they keep it clear if possible. The past few flights I took were completely full, so no luck, but on the majority of my flights they do block off the seat for me.
jon503 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 17, 5:54 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2013
Programs: N/A
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by sol95 View Post
on your ICN-JFK flight, you've chosen upper-deck seats. You're not likely to get two spares there, as a lot of people try to get seated in the upper-deck on the A380. So even if the flight is not full, chances are the upper deck will be full.

My suggesting is to try for row 58-60.

Also, do you have any status with a *G airline, or maybe even OZ? If you do have status, they'll usually block off the seat next to yours if you ask at check-in. mind you, it's not guaranteed, but I've usually been able to fly with a row to myself on most flights in Y.
Thank You! I have *G and united plat so i hope this can be done!

In this case should i be going for the side seating and do an X-O-X configuration or would the middle to receive a whole 4 seats still be somewhat possible (hoping the wednesday night load isnt too full)
JBG89 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 17, 12:39 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chicago Area
Programs: united, american
Posts: 5
Portable gel seat pad

I travel with one of these (blue/waffle pattern gel) seat cushion on longer flights (and use it in my car the rest of the time), it helps a lot to relieve the pain. Comes in 2 sizes (get 'short' one). Available at BBB and on-line.
dbfact is offline  
Old Mar 14, 17, 5:35 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 27
Yes, make sure you mention the sciatica problem at the desk: I had this some years ago and was treated very considerately on several airlines.
DrMarkMicro is offline  
Old Mar 14, 17, 10:34 pm
  #7  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: PIT
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 11
It will cost a bit but I recommend you buy three cheap coach tickets in a row. That is what I recommended to my brother when his wife had hip surgery only a few months before a planned trip from North America to Australia and did not want to spend the money to get a business class ticket. The business ticket would easily been 4-6000 dollars vs. about $1000 for each of the discount coach tickets. This guarantees that you have plenty of room. It may also get you extra baggage because you have the extra ticket but I would check with the airline for their policy.

Does anyone know it this qualifies for double milage and points?
andrewku is offline  
Old Nov 19, 19, 2:30 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Posts: 14,229
Can’t give you specific advice on your flights, but I would like to offer you what I hope is comforting information. About ten years ago I had a back operation and, whilst recovering, flew between London and Nagoya (via Paris) for a convalescence trip - had been immobile for a year and went to hike and swim and get strong. I was able to get a web award and flew the France - Japan sectors with Japan Airlines. There in Business and back in Economy.
Reason I’m mentioning this is that, whilst upright, the JAL economy seat was more comfortable than the JAL business seat.
The problem is that this is extremely subjective, not everyone experiences sciatica in the same way.
Even Business class seats can feel different to each other. Before the operation, when the sciatica was particularly bad, I flew business class between London and Tokyo with ANA. This was the reverse to what I later experienced on JAL in Business - on ANA it was more comfortable to sit upright than to lay “flat” (actually on an incline, like how I imagine it would be being on a gynaecology table - thankfully these kinds of ANA seats are being phased out), with JAL, the seat was more comfortable “flat” than upright.
Both ANA Economy (sat with my husband at the back for a fair whack of this trip) and the JAL Economy seats were absolutely fine, the footrests are probably the key part of what made them relatively bearable.

Anyway, my point is, don’t feel bad for not being able to afford Business class. Your girlfriend may well be in the most comfortable seats with respect to her condition. Hope it goes well for both of you!
LapLap is offline  
Old Nov 19, 19, 4:59 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; VA Gold; HH Diamond; Accor Gold
Posts: 885
Originally Posted by LapLap View Post
Can’t give you specific advice on your flights, but I would like to offer you what I hope is comforting information. About ten years ago I had a back operation and, whilst recovering, flew between London and Nagoya (via Paris) for a convalescence trip - had been immobile for a year and went to hike and swim and get strong. I was able to get a web award and flew the France - Japan sectors with Japan Airlines. There in Business and back in Economy.
Reason I’m mentioning this is that, whilst upright, the JAL economy seat was more comfortable than the JAL business seat.
The problem is that this is extremely subjective, not everyone experiences sciatica in the same way.
Even Business class seats can feel different to each other. Before the operation, when the sciatica was particularly bad, I flew business class between London and Tokyo with ANA. This was the reverse to what I later experienced on JAL in Business - on ANA it was more comfortable to sit upright than to lay “flat” (actually on an incline, like how I imagine it would be being on a gynaecology table - thankfully these kinds of ANA seats are being phased out), with JAL, the seat was more comfortable “flat” than upright.
Both ANA Economy (sat with my husband at the back for a fair whack of this trip) and the JAL Economy seats were absolutely fine, the footrests are probably the key part of what made them relatively bearable.

Anyway, my point is, don’t feel bad for not being able to afford Business class. Your girlfriend may well be in the most comfortable seats with respect to her condition. Hope it goes well for both of you!
LOL
you realise you just replied and “gave advice” on an almost 3 year old issue? The OP was asking for a flight in 2017!!!!
LapLap and Gasolin like this.
sol95 is offline  
Old Nov 19, 19, 5:16 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Posts: 14,229
Originally Posted by sol95 View Post
LOL
you realise you just replied and “gave advice” on an almost 3 year old issue? The OP was asking for a flight in 2017!!!!
Hah! I didn’t - then again I did answer with info from ten years ago!
Thank you!

I think there may have been a spammy response that brought this thread to the fore. THAT I did notice!
(Was too busy watching the ball to notice the outdated Gorilla)
LapLap is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: